Pure Tung Oil on Raw Wenge?

Conquistador

Hello everyone, I have a wenge neck coming in tomorrow and I was considering the possibility of applying a few applications of tung oil. Ideally, I want the raw feeling of the wood and I imagine 1-3 coats of tung oil would still allow me to keep that feeling, but also give the neck some kind of protection. Should I just not apply tung? I would love to read some thoughts and any advice.

Another note: How much Japan drier should be dropped into the oil. I see these videos and everyone says a couple of drops, but I do not understand what a drop is.

I would not recommend it as it just isn't necessary. Wenge is naturally very dense and oily so it doesn't need a finish. I have a Warmoth wenge neck that I've had for a couple of years; just burnished/polished the heck out of it with high grit sanding/polishing papers up to 2000 grit and it feels fantastic!

What? I have a wenge neck and it's pretty oily all by itself, you'll probably just gunk it up and make it unplayable. Just play it and eventually your body oils and playing will smooth and shine it up nicely. Remember it's like this because it comes from a bug infested jungle in africa and over eons had to develop it's own protection from all the assaults a tropical rainforest can toss at a tree. You can burnish it, or leave it plain, but don't ruin it, let it have its own nature, and you'll be happy.

I've been to these rainforests, and those trees have to be pretty tough.

I would not recommend it as it just isn't necessary. Wenge is naturally very dense and oily so it doesn't need a finish. I have a Warmoth wenge neck that I've had for a couple of years; just burnished/polished the heck out of it with high grit sanding/polishing papers up to 2000 grit and it feels fantastic!

Got a photo? I want to see what 2000 looks like!

What? I have a wenge neck and it's pretty oily all by itself, you'll probably just gunk it up and make it unplayable. Just play it and eventually your body oils and playing will smooth and shine it up nicely. Remember it's like this because it comes from a bug infested jungle in africa and over eons had to develop it's own protection from all the assaults a tropical rainforest can toss at a tree. You can burnish it, or leave it plain, but don't ruin it, let it have its own nature, and you'll be happy.

I've been to these rainforests, and those trees have to be pretty tough.

sounds good enough to me. Both you and @ragamuffin provided enough to change my mind!

I agree that it's unnecessary. Conklin used wenge for their bass necks in the GrooveTools series, and I have two of them. They're both '90s models and are a) completely raw and b) still frickin' phenomenal condition after this long (they also have purpleheart stringers).

Leave it be. Wenge is a beautiful neck wood all on its own. No extra fuss or muss needed.

sounds good enough to me. Both you and @ragamuffin provided enough to change my mind!
This pic shoes the back of the neck, pretty shiny!
VM2VuFX.jpg

I agree that it's unnecessary. Conklin used wenge for their bass necks in the GrooveTools series, and I have two of them. They're both '90s models and are a) completely raw and b) still frickin' phenomenal condition after this long (they also have purpleheart stringers).

Leave it be. Wenge is a beautiful neck wood all on its own. No extra fuss or muss needed.
Alright, alright. I'm sold! lol
This pic shoes the back of the neck, pretty shiny!
VM2VuFX.jpg
Lord, that is shiny. I should ask Musikraft what they finish their sanding at so I can keep my neck that way in the future (provided I like how it feels). What an awesome neck!

I'm just here to climb on the "leave it naked" bandwagon. Wenge is so very slick and nice under the hands as it is. No need to complicate matters. Congrats on your entry upon the hallowed grounds of exotic tropical hardwood necks!

I'm just here to climb on the "leave it naked" bandwagon. Wenge is so very slick and nice under the hands as it is. No need to complicate matters. Congrats on your entry upon the hallowed grounds of exotic tropical hardwood necks!

Yeah yeah, pile it on! I am getting JUMPED for my ill-advised question about putting tung oil on the high and mighty wenge :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think you should leave it raw. Wenge is the best, don't mess with it. Just wanted to make sure that message got through, seems to be mixed signals on here. ;)

Back