The wait is sort of over

theklanch

Senior member
Messages
209
So, I would love to put up some awesome pics of my new guitar body, but it is sitting at the UPS hub here in my hometown.  I watched it crawl across the country from washington to Illinois, to New Stanton PA finally to Johnstown.  So I called UPS to see if they were delivering today and of course they are not.  Nor are they delivering on New Year's Day, my delivery is scheduled for Monday 1-5-09, but it is only about 5 miles from my house.  I asked them if I could pick it up or something on Friday and the lady just gave me the run around.  Something about they could call the depot and ask if they could hold it or something.  Man I know some UPS drivers and with what they get paid, they shouldn't get days off.  I know they work hard, but wow do they get compensated for it!!  I think if you are making that kind of money you should have to work every weekday regardless of if it is a holiday or not.  I'm just frustrated waiting for this thing already!!  I can't believe that my body is sitting in a freight box and there is nothing I can do about it but wait!!!  I ordered this thing the week before thanksgiving hoping that it would be here for Christmas, and it wasn't.  Hoping for New Year, no dice.  It isn't Warmoth's fault at all, and really isn't UPS's fault either, I'm just bored and frustrated with the wait.  I know I have worked harder than 10 ups drivers for way less money and I worked on holidays.  It just f---king sucks waiting for parts. 
 

DangerousR6

Senior member
Messages
15,470
I feel your pain bro, dealing with the delivery services sucks. Whether it be UPS,USPS, FEDEX....They're all a bunch of pricks..
 

Vol. Knob

Senior member
Messages
601
I feel ya, Klanch, my fellow Deadhead.  Mine is a week or two behind yours, I ordered mine about ten days after you ordered yours.  I'm all giddy
 

theklanch

Senior member
Messages
209
:blob7:  I definately recommend some sort of expedited delivery service......  I used to be in that kind of business and I have lost the pay on a few jobs due to traffic and accidents.  There are so many variables with delivery.....BUT Big Brown is supposed to have it down to a science.  Whatever Warmoth might upcharge for a faster service in my book.  I called two weeks ago and asked about when they would ship it and they said it was in the shipping dept.  I was calling to pay for quicker shipping and they led me to believe that it was already boxed up and on it's way.  So I kept checking the tracking on it and it didn't show up on the website for 4 days!  So I kept checking and checking and well now more waiting.  I'm gonna harass the shitee out of UPS on Friday.  I am gonna get my guitar on friday if it kills me....... :sad:
 

Lucky #7

Senior member
Messages
762
If it's five miles from your house and they're open on Friday, just go up there.  I've done it more than once.
 

theklanch

Senior member
Messages
209
Lucky #007 said:
If it's five miles from your house and they're open on Friday, just go up there.  I've done it more than once.

Ok that is my thinking at this point..... Knowing my luck (if it wasn' t for bad luck I'd have none) when I leave to get it, the brown truck will be pulling up to my front door.  They don't open the depot to the public till 3pm so I have all day to harass UPS.  Hey for 75 grand a year they deserve some abuse from a customer.  Sorry I think that UPS pays their employees way too much for the job they do.  And they make the drivers shave clean, which I think is a totally unethical business practice.  Why does not having a beard make you a better employee?  That has a lot to do with my utter hatred for UPS, and that I am a competitor with my day job.  I tried for 3 years to get a job with ups as a driver and they kept offering me jobs loading and washing trucks because I refused to shave.  There was a muslim in I think Philly that actually won a civil case based on religous discrimination because there is something to do with beards and their religion.  Papa Johns pizza has the same 'dress' code and they recently paid out a pretty big chunk of change to a muslim on the same basis of religous discrimination.  I'm white and catholic, so I couldn't use that, but I still don't see how not having a beard makes you less desirable as an employee.  And no I will not shave to get a job, there are enough jobs out there that don't require this rediculous rule.  Nothing medical about not shaving, just a personal choice.  I am me, with or without a beard, it doesn't make me one way or another.  Total discrimination if you ask me.  Enterprise-rent-a-car has the same policy as does Schwans, other compaines that I am overqualified to work for that will not consider me for employment due to my beard.  So that is the root of my UPS hatred, I'd like to make 75 large a year too for delivering packages, and I have 12 years experience as an independent delivery contractor, but I am not what UPS is looking for.  Fed Ex beards are ok, exactly the same type of business, I just don't get it.

I'd like to get some opinions on this from some business owners here on the forum.  Or employees of companies that insist on this discriminatory dress code practice.  Why is this ok from an employers perspective? 

I'll stop bitching once my guitar body is here I promise
 

blue313

Senior member
Messages
2,824
Wont be able to get a job at Disney and your aspirations of pitching relief for the Yankees is blown then.  :laughing7:

Unfortunately they think it helps the corporate image.  I think good people do, not facial hair.  :dontknow:
 

Mor Paul

Senior member
Messages
7,238
I'll join your cause and stop shaving. Haven't done it in about 2 weeks anyways.
I might have to stop when I go job searching, though. Need funds for GAS and AAS.
 

theklanch

Senior member
Messages
209
Blue313 said:
Wont be able to get a job at Disney and your aspirations of pitching relief for the Yankees is blown then.  :laughing7:

Unfortunately they think it helps the corporate image.  I think good people do, not facial hair.  :dontknow:

Jeez I just sent my resume to the Yanks too.  And that I guess why I haven't heard anything back from the craigslist ad I answered for a part time Donald Duck gig.

I guess I'm just not a little lebowski urban acheiver, just a hairy bum
 

Jasonn

New member
Messages
19
avoid grocery store jobs too.   I didn't shave for one day and the manager made me shave before i could clock in.  i understand its food and all but really i cant even go one day without shaving now.  but you are allowed to have a mustache, but who knows whats behind that logic.
 
Messages
8,318
Jasonn said:
avoid grocery store jobs too.   I didn't shave for one day and the manager made me shave before i could clock in.  i understand its food and all but really i cant even go one day without shaving now.  but you are allowed to have a mustache, but who knows whats behind that logic.

Yet a Dr. that cuts people open can look like Billy Gibbons.
 

Lucky #7

Senior member
Messages
762
I guarantee you that had nothing to do with being worried about you getting hair in the food.  If that's what the manager said, he is an idiot that didn't have a clue what he was talking about.  It has to do with appearance.  You can have a mustache and appear well groomed.  Skipping a day shaving looks sloppy, and to varying degrees depending on how quickly your facial hair grows.  That was the issue.  The only way that has anything to do with the food is that your appearance could give people the impression that you are sloppy and unclean with the food you handle as well.
 

theklanch

Senior member
Messages
209
I think a well groomed beard looks better than a five o clock shadow.  Hell I think a ratty looking beard looks better than someone who got up late and didn't shave.

For what it is worth I used to manage a Domino's Pizza and I did it with a serious grizzly adams beard.  Once and a while we would get the typical "there is a hair in my pizza" and we would of course replace the pizza.  These situations would come from a customer that had no idea that I had a big ol face muff and usually the hair was from our little cute blondie cook, her hair was always falling into food.  Yet I don't ever recall someone coming in with a dark hair in their pizza.  My beard hair is the consistency of pubic hair and if there was a problem with short and curlies in the pies, I am sure my boss would have said something to me about it.  He was never bashful when it came to repremanding employees for anything.  He used to give us car wash tokens to go wash our delivery vehicles as one of his rules was a clean car before every shift.  He wanted our cars clean inside too he was really strict on this, but he always said about the beards that he would rather let us grow them than us playing with the rules and not shaving or coming in looking all ratty, so he thought why not let the guys grow beards if they want and turned out that all of us male employees respected him for that.  He was the one who told me "I'm not gonna judge you on weather or not you decide to shave, I judge you on your performance here and how you represent my company."  This guy is the only former employer of mine that I still talk to.

 

mullyman

Senior member
Messages
1,857
theklanch said:
I'd like to get some opinions on this from some business owners here on the forum.  Or employees of companies that insist on this discriminatory dress code practice.  Why is this ok from an employers perspective? 

I'll stop bitching once my guitar body is here I promise

I don't think it's the issue of the facial hair as much as it's the issue of someone showing up unkempt. It's easier to keep a "Shave or die" rule than trying to set limits on how to maintain it. C'mon, let's be real here, a lot of these young guys would be having Dimebag Darrel beards if they just said it was OK.
MULLY
I have a beard and mustache so I'm not on the "Shave or die" committee.
 

bendeg

Senior member
Messages
209
theklanch said:
Lucky #007 said:
If it's five miles from your house and they're open on Friday, just go up there.  I've done it more than once.

Ok that is my thinking at this point..... Knowing my luck (if it wasn' t for bad luck I'd have none) when I leave to get it, the brown truck will be pulling up to my front door.  They don't open the depot to the public till 3pm so I have all day to harass UPS.  Hey for 75 grand a year they deserve some abuse from a customer.  Sorry I think that UPS pays their employees way too much for the job they do.  And they make the drivers shave clean, which I think is a totally unethical business practice.  Why does not having a beard make you a better employee?  That has a lot to do with my utter hatred for UPS, and that I am a competitor with my day job.  I tried for 3 years to get a job with ups as a driver and they kept offering me jobs loading and washing trucks because I refused to shave.  There was a muslim in I think Philly that actually won a civil case based on religous discrimination because there is something to do with beards and their religion.  Papa Johns pizza has the same 'dress' code and they recently paid out a pretty big chunk of change to a muslim on the same basis of religous discrimination.  I'm white and catholic, so I couldn't use that, but I still don't see how not having a beard makes you less desirable as an employee.  And no I will not shave to get a job, there are enough jobs out there that don't require this rediculous rule.  Nothing medical about not shaving, just a personal choice.  I am me, with or without a beard, it doesn't make me one way or another.  Total discrimination if you ask me.  Enterprise-rent-a-car has the same policy as does Schwans, other compaines that I am overqualified to work for that will not consider me for employment due to my beard.  So that is the root of my UPS hatred, I'd like to make 75 large a year too for delivering packages, and I have 12 years experience as an independent delivery contractor, but I am not what UPS is looking for.  Fed Ex beards are ok, exactly the same type of business, I just don't get it.

I'd like to get some opinions on this from some business owners here on the forum.  Or employees of companies that insist on this discriminatory dress code practice.  Why is this ok from an employers perspective? 

I'm from Belgium and that beard rule is completely ridiculus !!! What a shame !!!


I'll stop bitching once my guitar body is here I promise
 
Top