The 'Less' Paul

whitebison66

While I was in the US, I picked up a maple/mahogany blank that a friend had made for me.

I always loved the mini Les Pauls that Dave Petschulat made for Eddie Van Halen.

So I decided to do one. Rather than an exact copy, I took a Fender-scale fretboard and made the 5th fret the nut.

Mahogany angled Warmoth neck blank, a router and blind optimism.

HAHAHAHAHAAAA. why'd you drill for six tuning pegs? It looks like you shoulda drilled for four to make it an electric ukulele. jk, awesome project :kewlpics:

Max -

I need to have some hardware made up for the pickups; the rings have no screw holes, so you need a plate that sits in the cavity.

A discussion and images are here: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pickups/97365-mini-humbucker-mount-p90-shell.html

For the finish, at least amber dye. I'd love to do a tiger eye finish, but my experiments so far have been... uninspiring.

Frack! That's totally cool.  :icon_biggrin: I have been jonesing for a five-string electric solidbody mandolin for a while. Is the string spacing at the bridge going to work out OK? You can always use blade pickups to bypass polepice misalignment, but isn't a 2 1/8" bridge going to be wide?

And, trussrod?

The scale is literally the same as a Fender with a 5th fret capo.

It's 2" at the nut (I play Superwides as it is) and I just rearranged the fret markers.

It's 2 3/16" at the 17th (22nd) fret, and the distance nut to bridge is the same as a regular guitar 5th to bridge.

I used a Warmoth strat pickguard routed for minis to get the spacing.

The truss rod is a Stew Mac mandolin dual-action 'hot' rod.

Yeah when I see you and your little guitars sing to me
I can see you don't know which way to turn,
But the sun still shines
Don't you know that you can dance with me

:headbang1:

That is awesome. Have not seen / thought about EVH playing one of those in looooong time! Great idea / execution!!

For the 2007 reunion tour, he used a mini Frankie replica.

But it did have a Floyd!!!

I'll post updates when I make some more significant progress, and thanks so far for the kind words!

whitebison66 said:
For the 2007 reunion tour, he used a mini Frankie replica.

But it did have a Floyd!!!

I'll post updates when I make some more significant progress, and thanks so far for the kind words!
That would be cool...... :headbang1:

Cool work.  That's why we are all so hooked on guitars.  Planning and preparation is probably the best part of guitar building.

Back