The 'Less' Paul

Let me just say, hats off to dmraco, who did his own tiger-eye finish on an  LPS. It came out gorgeous, and I am jealous.

I tried to do it with this guitar, but I don't think it came out as well.

You can see the brown dye, then the sand-back, the first yellow, then further sand-back!

But it ended up pretty nice and I think the hint of brown helps highlight the flame.

A cheap video of the flame: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odzq8cAmpzo

More photos of the top and the masked binding.

I got the neck fretted, too. I will glue it in once I have the top finished and buffed out. I figure it's the best way to do it.

While I didn't make this from scratch, it's a sweet little guitar that I fixed up and re soldered the electronics and added new tuners.  I've made it my travel guitar.
It's an olympia papoose electric
Mahogany Body
Mahogany Neck
Rosewood Fretboard
Planet Waves Tuners
Duncan Designed equivalent to the Duncan Distortion
What looks like a tone control is really a distortion control.
Outlet so I can plug it into a tv or computer when traveling, as well as a regular output to plug into an amp.
Only thing different it's tuned to an "a". (like a capo on the fifth fret), so it sounds like a cross between a tele, a mandocaster, with some extra warmth and some nice distortion.  

Lacquer layering, truss rod cover tryout, inlay idea...

The lacquer's getting deep, and smooth, even with just cursory 320 wet sanding between coats.

The inlay is a Bauhinia, the official symbol of the Hong Kong SAR (Special Administrative Region).

Not sure if I should put it center or top.

If it's at the top, I can use the (modified) decal.

I'm probably going to dye the headstock face black.

Thats awesome. My friend hs a minature LP made by a sompany I can't remember the name of. Something wood. It's not as cool as this one though.

Thanks again for all the kind words!

Here is the latest; dyed the face black, decided on the position of the inlay, and mocked up the silkscreen.

Now I have to figure out how to inlay the maple without staining it black...

[EDIT]: I found the pearloid blank I had bought a while back, so I want to do the inlay in pearl. That will make things easier, I hope.

We'll see...

Got the inlay done after a quick order from StewMac. Pearl cutting saws are a much better way of cutting pearl than using files and drill bits!

Having a slight issue with the logo decal. I think I will need to get either gold paint or gold leaf to lay under a 'negative' decal (black with the logo clear). I've failed so far to get a satisfactory color print of the decal.

But the inlay came out a lot better than I expected for my first try. The top leaf is out of alignment, but in general I'm very positively surprised. I used super glue and black dye for the fill-in, and and with the lacquer on it, it's invisible. Like I said, I am pleasantly shocked.

Got the decal done; went with gold paint pen under the decal, which was black and clear. First one came out kinda yuck, so I redid it. The clear makes the lines invisible, thank goodness!

Got the neck put on too. Here it is next to an Edwards LP for size comparison.

Back