The Breadwinner

Rick

Epic Member
Eastwood guitars is bringing them back.  I think warmoth could make some money off of them.  If they could bring it in for the price of a normal strat body, I'd buy one.  I know Tom Morello played one.  And I can remember them on the Brady Bunch.  Or maybe I'll buy one and put on 1 3/4 25.5 scale neck ... mmmmh    Anything's possible ...

http://www.gearwire.com/eastwood-breadwinner.html

I played one of those a couple of months ago.  I hated it, played horribly and was very uncomfortable.  Could just be me though.

no, its a can opener.
there's an original one here at the local pawn shop for 600 dollars - I wonder if these things have any kind of collectors value.. ???

If you really want one of those it would make a good project to start from a Warmoth routed body blank; there will never be enough demand to add that style to the Warmoth catalog....

Actually, they do have some collector's value.  What's the name of the pawn shop?

Marko said:
Rick said:
Actually, they do have some collector's value.  What's the name of the pawn shop?

uhh no idea.. the one on k avenue ;) what would they be worth?

If I remember correctly, which I usually do, despite all the consumables ingested over the years, those went for $349 new (about the same price as a new Fender Telecaster at the time). I would estimate that they've held that value....

My guitar teacher when I was a lad, back in the 70s, had a Breadwinner.

He used to pull some nice country tones out of it.

I played Bill's Breadwinner a few times, sure beat my crapola Yamaha I had at the time in quality.

But I could never work out the electronics? (Mind you, I owned a Ricky 1997 for about 8 years and still hadn;t figured out what the 5th knob on the Ricky was for, by the time I sold it!  :icon_scratch: ) On Bill's Breadwinner, I only seemed to be able to dial up M-O-R sounds, nothing aggressive at all.

For a pristine model, over $1000, for a hacked apart modded piece, $400, with about $700 average.  Next time you pass the pawn shop, give me the name, and if I have friend in your town whose interested I'll send him in.  Thanks.

Back