The Accidental Telecaster...

Glad you found the Rutgers bridge.  That’s the one I have speced for my Thinline build with a Bigsby

TBurst Std said:
Glad you found the Rutgers bridge.  That’s the one I have speced for my Thinline build with a Bigsby

He does great work! He also made the one that can kind of be seen in my avatar picture.

Just received notice that the UPS man will be delivering this neck tomorrow! Unfortunately I’m leaving today for two weeks  :sad1:

I’m still waiting on the bridge to come in as well, so hopefully they’re both waiting for me when I get back! I am beyond stoked...

The saga continues! The neck is here, I'm here, time to do some stuff!
Photo%20Jun%2014%2C%2010%2011%2008%20PM.jpeg

Local Fretwork Hero Cagey was able to give the frets The Treatment without the finish falling off, so we're already off to a better start! He also dressed the nut and installed the tuners. This neck is ready for action. It isn't any easier to photograph than it was, and I haven't gotten any better at taking pictures, but I snapped a few anyway. Because, dang it's pretty.....

Photo%20Jun%2014%2C%2010%2006%2039%20PM.jpeg

I think I already mentioned this, but I'm leaving this headstock unadorned for now. I generally find that to look a bit incomplete, but in this case I think the headstock is eye-catching enough...
Photo%20Jun%2014%2C%2010%2005%2048%20PM.jpeg

Photo%20Jun%2014%2C%2010%2007%2045%20PM.jpeg

Photo%20Jun%2014%2C%2010%2007%2015%20PM.jpeg

The Cagey Signature Threaded Inserts:
Photo%20Jun%2014%2C%2010%2008%2033%20PM.jpeg

Among the other firsts represented by this neck, it is also the first time I've experienced these threaded inserts. I likey...

With the neck off, the soldering iron came out as well. Goodbye GFS Dream 90s:
Photo%20Jun%2014%2C%2010%2023%2001%20PM.jpeg

Hello LollarTrons!
Photo%20Jun%2014%2C%2011%2020%2036%20PM.jpeg

I also added a shim as the saddles on the current bridge were just about maxed out. These Stew-Mac shims are just the greatest. So much futzing around eliminated.

The Rutters Bigsby bridge still has not arrived, so for now this is all the progress I've got. At least all the progress I've got photographed... I bolted the neck on, ooh'd and ahh'd, and decided that I would put it away as-is and wait for the remaining materials to come in before proceeding. A bit of self-abnegation builds character, right? Yeah, that lasted about 2 seconds... I intend to string her up with Thomastik-Infeld Power Brights, but I didn't want to sacrifice a set when I know I'll be taking them off when the new bridge arrives, so I strung her up with a set of Ernie Ball Skinny Top / Heavy Bottoms I had around. Did a half-hearted set-up (again, no need to go nuts for a temporary situation) and plugged her in. It is good....

I have to say that I was actually, literally, stunned by the first note that I bent on these frets. I'm not sure how much is the stainless and how much was Cagey, but it feels like nothing I've ever experienced. So smooth. Ridiculously smooth. I like it a lot.

More to come!

No change in the bridge situation, but I did get a picture of her as she is currently configured:

Photo%20Jun%2015%2C%2011%2048%2047%20PM.jpeg

The neck feels wonderful and the LollarTrons really bark in this guitar. It's a fun guitar to play!

Looks good!

I appreciate the positive mentions. Stainless as-is feels much better than nickel/silver, but I kick it up a notch with the polishing after level/dress so the whole thing just feels glassy smooth to play on.

Cagey said:
Looks good!

I appreciate the positive mentions. Stainless as-is feels much better than nickel/silver, but I kick it up a notch with the polishing after level/dress so the whole thing just feels glassy smooth to play on.

Getting the best neck I ever had right out of the box is worth some positive mentions! Your work exceeds your reputation, which is saying something.

Thanks! Warmoth deserves a lotta credit there, too. The pictures don't do that neck justice at all - it's one of the most beautiful pieces I've had go through here in a while.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
That really looks good. I like the interaction of the different colors of wood and finish.

Thanks! I'm also a bit taken with the way the different hues and patterns play off of each other. Again, not a combination of things I would have selected while planning a build from the ground up, but that's been the way of this guitar so it's fitting. Really can't wait to get that bridge in so I can Bigsbify her!

-VB- said:
I think I already mentioned this, but I'm leaving this headstock unadorned for now. I generally find that to look a bit incomplete, but in this case I think the headstock is eye-catching enough...
Photo%20Jun%2014%2C%2010%2005%2048%20PM.jpeg

Photo%20Jun%2014%2C%2010%2007%2045%20PM.jpeg

Photo%20Jun%2014%2C%2010%2007%2015%20PM.jpeg

Wow, that neck is incredible! Look forward to seeing this finished.

Especially so when you consider that's Mahogany. When's the last time you saw curly Mahogany? It's a Unicorn!  :laughing7:

Cagey said:
Especially so when you consider that's Mahogany. When's the last time you saw curly Mahogany? It's a Unicorn!  :laughing7:

I’ve already been asked if the headstock had a veneer because, “What do you mean flamed Mahogany?!” They must have had a stash because I’ve seen at least three necks come through the showcase made from it. There was this one and its twin Strat neck, which I almost bought except that I wanted a Rosewood fingerboard for my Strat. Then there was a Strat neck with a Rosewood board that I did go ahead buy  :icon_biggrin: That one does have a headstock veneer: flamed Koa. Wowzers! More on that neck in the near future... There could have been others, but those are the ones I’ve seen. Haven’t been back to the showcase in a bit. Dangerous place, that...

A friend went to some place in Central Africa (20 years ago, forgive my memory where. Probably no longer called the same name anyway) to assist in a construction project.  He said they were using "what was on hand" for concrete forms, which you guessed it was 2" thick slabs of curly african mahogany. For concrete forms.  of course I've seen some beautiful figuring in gym floor maple too - its not super super rare, but its costly to pull the pretty stuff out when you need a couple tons of just maple.

Cagey said:
Looks good!

After this, you'll likely never need a level/dress again on it.

Stainless burnishes with usage, so it'll only get harder.

Guess what I received in the mail today? A Bigsby-mod half bridge from Marc Rutters!
Photo%20Aug%2018%2C%203%2003%2012%20PM.jpeg

The saddles are compensated and are marked, which is a nice touch.
Photo%20Aug%2018%2C%203%2003%2042%20PM.jpeg

Last chance to second guess, am I sure I want to stick a Bigsby on this guitar?
Photo%20Aug%2018%2C%203%2009%2017%20PM.jpeg

Oh yes....

Off with the old...
Photo%20Aug%2018%2C%203%2014%2006%20PM.jpeg

And on with the new. Erm, wait a minute....
Photo%20Aug%2018%2C%203%2018%2051%20PM.jpeg

My caliper verified that the mounting holes on this bridge are American Standard spec (0.827" centers) while the body is routed for Vintage Hardtail spec (0.89" centers). The Vintage Hardtail spec was specified when I ordered this bridge, and I even went so far as to included a link to the Warmoth spec sheet for the hardtail bridge that this one was to replace. But, stuff happens. He moved the shop from California to Tennessee in the time since I placed the order, not too unreasonable to think that some stuff slips through. Other than that "minor detail", the bridge looks great. I informed him of the discrepancy, but opted to try and make this bridge work rather than try to get a replacement made.

Given how close to the edge of the existing holes the new holes would need to be, it probably would have been best to drill the whole thing out bigger before plugging, but I really didn't want to risk making a bigger mess of things. I went ahead and plugged the holes just as they were. The outer ones any way, the center was fine.
Photo%20Aug%2018%2C%204%2005%2029%20PM.jpeg

While the glue set, I tended to something else. The controls were sporting a black top hat switch tip (I'm rather partial to those) and black speed knobs, all of which was, you know, a'ight...
Photo%20Aug%2018%2C%204%2009%2021%20PM.jpeg

However, Marc graciously tossed in one of his knurled switch tips for me. I believe this was a compensation for the unusually long lead time on the bridge, although it wasn't specified. At any rate, I really liked the tip and so I replaced the top hat and changed the knobs out to match. Pretty sharp stuff....
Photo%20Aug%2018%2C%204%2023%2059%20PM.jpeg

Fast-forward a bit and I've got new bridge mounting holes. Not perfect, it was pretty tough to get the drill to do what I wanted with such close proximity to the edge of the old hole, but this will be perfectly serviceable methinks.
Photo%20Aug%2018%2C%204%2031%2033%20PM.jpeg

If you're looking for it you can tell that the left screw is a bit "off", but it is seated securely, won't interfere with the saddles, and will be all but invisible when the saddles are installed.
Photo%20Aug%2018%2C%204%2036%2008%20PM.jpeg

Funny story: when I decided to install a Bigsby on my first Telecaster, a dozen years or so ago, I farmed the job out because I was terrified that I would get the placement wrong. Lo and behold, I got it back and the pro had installed it well off center! That was actually what gave me the confidence to start getting more hands-on with my guitars (heck, I can do at least that bad myself!) and that path eventually led, well, here! This is my third Bigsby install on a Tele (if you count me fixing the first one). Getting it properly located was just as nerve wracking as the rest, and if you figure in that my garage here in Tucson was probably at least 110 degrees F, well I can honestly say I was sweating profusely. I used a long string running from the tuners to the Bigsby and back to check the front-roller-to-saddle alignment, verified by pulling another string down the center of the pickups, the middle saddle, and the Bigsby main shaft, and carefully marked my holes.
Photo%20Aug%2018%2C%205%2000%2035%20PM.jpeg

Looks pretty good I think...
Photo%20Aug%2018%2C%205%2013%2017%20PM.jpeg

Hey, how 'bout that!
Photo%20Aug%2018%2C%208%2030%2030%20PM.jpeg

Photo%20Aug%2018%2C%208%2031%2051%20PM.jpeg

Man I love a Bigsby. For a guitar that has come together without any semblance of a plan, I sure am enjoying what it's becoming!

Back