Tell Us The Definitive Way to FInish With Tru/Tung Oil

This is the one I have... both in Neutral and Mahogany.
the neutral one is almost white clay, and I doubt that it dries op transparent...:(

Hey
I've got a few questions:
Can I get anywhere near this (attached Kiskae model) with Tung? Spraying is gonna be way out of my reach, I think.
If so...
1. Could I get that little bit of burst around the edge? It's not too important so I can do without
2. How do you guys go about finding/mixing stains/colors/whatever?
I've been reading everything on this forum, but still know a lot less than I need to...  :sad1:
I'll probably be putting my order together quite soon... finally...
Thanks for your help and putting up with my silly questions  :doh:

True Oil on Birdseye Maple

20 years on the same finish.
Lot's of time in the brush, many harvests and hides as a result.
98' Mauser in a Monte Carlo Rollover stock with Williams Rear Site, Bolt forged for Scope out of comfort rather than a need for a scope.  Chambered in 8mm, knocks down the sillouette targets all day long @ 200 years on a warm barrel.

Mauser98Yugo_8mmBirdseyeSporter3.jpg

Mauser98Yugo_8mmBirdseyeSporter2.jpg

Mauser98Yugo_8mmBirdseyeSporter1.jpg

She came from a blank just like this one, which I still have.  It's about 35 years old, was about 25 when I got it from my gunsmith/stockbuilding uncle about 10 or 11 years ago.

BirdseyeBlankFlippedOver.jpg

BirdseyeBlankEndCloseUp.jpg

BirdseyeBlankCloseUp.jpg

BirdseyeBlank1.jpg

Ok, I am giving up on the filler thing!! I tried a couple of more pieces of test wood and neither the mahogany or the 'neutral' is not going to work..It looks horrible!!!!
I really wanted to go for the Satin PRS look anyway, as suggested by Stubhead (http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3051.0)
Also, I had some great success finishing black korina before with just 4 or 5 coats of Tru-Oil... now is there anything else I need to keep in mind with TUNG Oil? will it soak in too deep without filler?
Also, the Rosewood top is already supersmooth.. not a dimple to see. could that be because it was quartersawn?

so just to make it clear, I am not looking for a Super Smooth Mirror like finish.. just a nice woodsy deep satin heirloom type of finish..

Damn CB, that thing's got insane birdseye AND flame!  too bad it's not big enough to make a guitar.

As mentioned earlier the first coat of Tung oil should be thinned or cut, just wondering what products or brands are used to do this.  This will be my first go at using tung oil.

Thanks

Back