Tascam 2488neo

greywolf

Well Santa stopped a little early this year , ( aka my yearly bonus was nice enough)  and left this little gem .

Quite an update from my trusty Tascam 424 portastudio .... 

now I can produce my own cd's in my home studio ...killer

•New mastering effects include multiband compression, EQ and noise shaping for pro-sounding CD mixes
•160GB internal hard drive  (upgrade from 80GB in earlier rev)
•3-band EQ on 24 channels, 8-inputs and stereo bus with high and low sweepable shelving bands and full parametric mid band
•Three aux sends on all channels except the effects return
•Loop effect provides reverb, delay, chorus and more on an aux send and return
•Assignable Guitar multi-effects processor for overdrive, distortion, chorus, delay, flange and more
•Up to eight assignable dynamics processors for compression during recording or mixdown
•Dedicated Stereo Compressor on the stereo output
•Eight inputs: 4 XLR with phantom power double as 1/4" mic/line inputs, plus four more 1/4" mic/line inputs
•Nineteen 45mm faders including master fader
•LCD display for viewing meters and edit parameters
•250 Virtual tracks
•CD-RW drive to record Audio CDs, import/export WAV files and backup hard drive
•High-speed USB 2.0 jack connects to PC or Mac® for data backup and SMF/WAV file
•Recording resolution: 44.1kHz, 16-bit or 24-bit

Attachments

• MP_2488-NEO.jpg
    MP_2488-NEO.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 404
I've got 60 originals recorded already , I'll be importing onto this , as they were cut on the 424 ,  with the additional tracks it should be lots of fun ..  Tascam updated the hard drive to 160GB too which is Way cool

how many tracks can you record at once with that puppy?  what's the bit depth?  sample rate?

8 tracks at a time , the upgraded drive is equal to 6.66 hrs of 24 track  . Recording resolution: 44.1kHz, 16-bit or 24-bit
up to 250 virtual tracks  there are some good you tube video's on it.

greywolf said:
Well Santa stopped a little early this year , ( aka my yearly bonus was nice enough)  and left this little gem .

Congrats! That's gonna be a fun toy!

It's amazing what you can get these days for recording. I used to have a 488 Portastudio that I paid generous mittenful of money for, and it wasn't capable of a fraction of what you can do with today's digital gear at a small fraction of the cost. Plus, the specs on today's stuff is phenomenal. You used to have to spend a mountain of money to get the frequency response, dynamic range and S/N ratio that even the cheapest $30 iPod interface/software does now. And functionality? Hell, there's free stuff out there that beats the snot out of what you could get not that long ago.

ya know, with each record that I do I end up upgrading my gear.  I wonder if the next record will be the one where I try to record everyone at once.  Gonna need someone to run the board if I do that...

... wait!  That sounds like a recording studio!  :doh:

I keep the analog gear around for when I want old school grit . tape reverse effects etc . 

Attachments

• 2011-12-20_11-33-14_954.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 356
Cagey said:
greywolf said:

Congrats! That's gonna be a fun toy!

It's amazing what you can get these days for recording. I used to have a 488 Portastudio that I paid generous mittenful of money for, and it wasn't capable of a fraction of what you can do with today's digital gear at a small fraction of the cost. Plus, the specs on today's stuff is phenomenal. You used to have to spend a mountain of money to get the frequency response, dynamic range and S/N ratio that even the cheapest $30 iPod interface/software does now. And functionality? Hell, there's free stuff out there that beats the snot out of what you could get not that long ago.

When I got my first Mac in 1993, it had 16mb of Ram and a 250mb hard drive. It was purchased along with what was Pro Tool's little brother, Session 8. Looked like this pic:

2499731510_7d850b203d_z.jpg

The whole deal was around $4,000. So how did my investment pan out? I recently read a post on an Apple forum where a guy just bought pretty much the same setup for $17. And I'm sure your garden-variety iPhone is way more powerful anyway. Ah, progress.

decided to upgrade my ancient monitors as well .  . they through a matching sub in for free , I  picked up the center as well

Attachments

• RTiA5.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 365
greywolf said:
decided to upgrade my ancient monitors as well .  . they through a matching sub in for free , I  picked up the center as well
Mmmmm. Polk Audio....
Homer_drool.jpg

Back