Building my own live mixer

The panel is 2.5mm.

It looks even better installed!  I think I need to swap that chrome latch with a black one...

index.php

Attachments

• IMG_3782.JPG
    IMG_3782.JPG
    649.5 KB · Views: 393
Lovely. I like it a lot. Does everything you need: include the lot in one place, and set how loud they are and what side they're on. What else is there? All that frequency filtering and fiddling and buss switching and what have you are just a Russian plot to do... something. Control UFOs, probably.

Nice. Although I'm a bit surprised, with everything else you left off on purpose - that it's stereo.

Wow, beautiful! Very cool, indeed. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Cagey said:
... All that frequency filtering and fiddling and buss switching and what have you are just a Russian plot to do... something. Control UFOs, probably.

:toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:

NICE! I've delivered custom test equipment to the US Air Force that didn't look half as good, very impressive!  :icon_thumright:

Update:  the mixer just did its maiden voyage at a show tonight.  Worked flawlessly all night long and sounded great.  And looked good too!

I think we have a success!

Congratulations :eek:ccasion14:
A difficult task well done...
I am quite green with envy of your skills!

Excellent mixer love the simplicity. The real beauty of hombrew cutomized stuff is that you get the options you want and nothing else.

Update:

Just added a handle to the box.  Feels like the worlds smallest briefcase!

index.php

In other news, I've also been working on a compressor.  I've got the prototype up and running and it works fairly well - pretty subtle from what I can hear (or maybe I just need someone else to sing into it while I play with the knobs).  I just might build another one of these things with some compression on the mic channels.  :)

Attachments

• IMG_3961.JPG
    IMG_3961.JPG
    588.4 KB · Views: 290
Mayfly said:
Feels like the worlds smallest briefcase!

Or, an Enigma machine

Mayfly said:
In other news, I've also been working on a compressor.  I've got the prototype up and running and it works fairly well - pretty subtle from what I can hear (or maybe I just need someone else to sing into it while I play with the knobs).  I just might build another one of these things with some compression on the mic channels.  :)

Sounds like a good idea, although I think compressors are pretty much a solved problem. You could just buy a decent compressor and yank the guts out of it, re-mount them in your mixer with some strategic wiring mods, and call it a love story.

Just did another show using the mixer in fabulous sunny Ottawa.  Worked well and sounded great. 

index.php

Looks great too!

Attachments

• IMG_4028.JPG
    IMG_4028.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 303
The mixer just had a night of trial by fire.  And it survived!

Four bands.  Each picky about different stuff.  Each with different requirements.  No one submitted a stage plot.  Each took forever to sound check.  Start time: 7:45pm.  End time 12:00pm midnight.  I was the 'sound guy' (how I get roped into this stuff I'll never know). 

Mixer delivered high fidelity all night with no issues.  I confess that was rattled a bit about the thing failing - and what members of different bands would have to say about it!  But it worked flawlessly all night long.  I was pretty relieved when it came time for our set and I could just run it like it was intended (we were headlining the event).

So in summary:  I'm getting more and more confident in the design.  So much so that I'm in the process of making a second one!  Why not - the design is done and I've got all the PCBs.  It's just a matter of making the box and stuffing the boards.  :headbang:

P.S. - no we didn't get a chance to soundcheck  :tard:
P.P.S - isn't it funny that the worse the band is, the more picky they are about, well, everything?  :)

Mayfly said:
P.P.S - isn't it funny that the worse the band is, the more picky they are about, well, everything?  :)
Well, Yah..... It ain't easy being cheesy! :laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing7:

Back