Suprocaster

Hey guys, so now that the paint has dried I've noticed that mainly the front and back (silver areas) are not super smooth; they feel more like high grit sandpaper... I guess this may be due to applying the coats too lightly? Will this cause any problems or will the clear coat take care of it? Thanks

Ordered my neck! Decided to go with the block inlays.

CzEn4cX.png

That neck will look amazing on that body. For appearance, you have a good choices of woods, inlays and headstock.  :icon_thumright:

Oh, man, that's gonna be slick.  Burnish that red lumber and it'll gleam like Anduril, the Flame of the West!

Bagman67 said:
Oh, man, that's gonna be slick.  Burnish that red lumber and it'll gleam like Anduril, the Flame of the West!

I'm really excited for the bloodwood, can't wait to carve up some orks with it!

I sprayed the body with Spraymax 2k clear today, it's looking pretty nice in gloss but I did get a good amount of orange peel. I'm both looking forward to and dreading the fun/pain of sanding and polishing it.

Today I level sanded and compounded/polished! I've got to say I'm pretty damn happy with the results of my first hard finish.

5XlYlys.jpg

blI3p9k.jpg

K4GSSjC.jpg

oPk2OoJ.jpg

Though I did burn through the clear in a spot or two while sanding  :sad1: It's not that bad though and on the back side bottom bout so it wont be very noticeable. I blame the beveled edges... and my lack of experience.

vpEx2WV.jpg

Small updates:

I decided to let the professionals at WD Music handle the pickguard fabrication. They charge quite a bit for a thin piece of plastic, but I know it will look nicer than the one's I've made. It's going to be matte black.

Also, Ken from Roadhouse contacted me on TGP after seeing an ad that I had put up and offered to sell me a vistatone bridge pickup that he found floating around! This works out really well, as I was able to get my hands on a Supro reissue vistatone neck pickup, but everywhere seems to be sold out of the bridge pickups. So, I'll have a Roadhouse bridge pickup with the Supro reissue (modeled after Roadhouse) neck pickup.

Neck and pickguard should be arriving around Christmas!

Today I soldered up the wiring harness; pretty damn clean by my standards!

The pots are volume, tone, bass cut like on my Albert Lee build. I find the bass cut is really nice for tightening up distortion and fuzz tones.

OAxr2Dh.jpg

Woohoo, my neck shipped today!

The body is ready to go minus the pickup rings and string ferrules (which are coming with the neck)

3nxQoCv.jpg

The neck came in on Wednesday night; beautiful piece of lumber! It's not the reddest piece of bloodwood, but it's very attractive with great chatoyance under light that I can't capture very well with my camera. I quickly (actually it took a while, but relatively quickly) cleaned up/polished the frets and burnished the neck up to 4000 grit. Boy does that bloodwood feel nice!

Thursday morning I attempted to install the pickup rings and discovered that I had located the pickguard too close to the strings/center of the body. A slight pain in the ass, but it I relocated the pickguard a millimeter or two or three to the right and everything was good to go.

So here she is!

VfzweOc.jpg

8lIasXU.jpg

S02Najl.jpg

hJ3zg9v.jpg

She's a heavy one weighing in at just over 10lbs, but has very good sustain/resonance. Something is wrong with the tone knob: it works backwards and almost like an on/off switch, so I'll have to work on that but I'm very pleased with the sound. The tone has p90-like growl/bite but also has strat-like sparkle/brightness to it. I'll have to fiddle with adjusting the pickups to find where the sound best.

Looking Good! Congrats. It sometimes takes a little while to work the bugs out, I suspect you'll have it straightened out in no time......... :icon_thumright:

PhilHill said:
Looking Good! Congrats. It sometimes takes a little while to work the bugs out, I suspect you'll have it straightened out in no time......... :icon_thumright:

Thanks Phil! I figured out the tone knob: the diagram I was looking at had the connection on the wrong lug haha

So I hadn't had much time to sit down and play this guitar until today. Today I had the time gave it a full/proper setup and put her through the paces and wow, I'm really digging it!

The Vistatone pickups have a great sound! They're very fat, and have more output than I expected without sound overwound or congested. They have a very "vocal" midrange and go from polite when played soft to growling when pushed. Lots of p90-like qualities, but they also have that great glassy clarity of Fender single coils, the bridge position even has bit of tele twang. Compared to the Roadhouse Kingston neck pickup that I have (also a Supro design, similar to the "gold foils" in the reissue guitars) they have a little less juicy roundness and a more aggressive bite.

The neck on this guitar might be the new favorite of the Warmoth necks that I own, for three reasons really:
1. The bloodwood shaft is wicked dense and smooth, and just feels richer with just a tad bit of waxy-ness compared to the drier feel of roasted maple. Definitely not as waxy goncalo or wenge though.
2. I've gotten to where I love the 59' roundback profile. Having played a standard thin for a long time, the 59' seemed a little too fat at first; now it feels comfy and just right in my hand. I don't think I'll ever order a profile other than the 59' again!
3. The frets on this neck are just about as perfect as you can get without having a pro fret level. I just cleaned up the fret ends a bit and polished them and they're just about perfect. I was able to get the action very low and it's playing so good that I can't believe it's not butter!

One thing that I don't love about this build is the weight... It's not ridiculously heavy, but it's definitely noticeable. The poplar that I used for the body was very heavy for some reason, and combine that with a heavy neck and hardware and you get a heavy guitar. Oh well, I still love her!

Back