Suprocaster

ragamuffin

So for my next build I’m thinking of doing a Supro-inspired body with vistatone or super alnico pickups, a hard tail bridge, and a Warmoth neck to my specs.

I’ll be making the body myself, and I’m thinking of doing the Dual Tone/Triple Tone shape. They have an angular edge contour though and I’m not sure how I’ll do that/what kind of router bit that requires. I may have to experiment a little. Any recommendations on that? (I linked a photo bellow) I’m thinking a 60 degree chamfer/bevel bit might be the ticket.

Attachments

• 3E340313-DB51-43A4-9ECC-11BED4295A56.png
    3E340313-DB51-43A4-9ECC-11BED4295A56.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 46
Pretty cool Idea, I dig some of the retro Supros...

Plus I did some covert work one time for Supro thru a forum member here Ken who owns Roadhouse pickups. I did the prototypes for these pups...
NAMM_zpszi4hrota.jpg

DangerousR6 said:
Pretty cool Idea, I dig some of the retro Supros...

Plus I did some covert work one time for Supro thru a forum member here Ken who owns Roadhouse pickups. I did the prototypes for these pups...
NAMM_zpszi4hrota.jpg

Very cool! Didn’t know you were involved.

I've done several bodies with an angled edge, I usually use a 45 deg. bit like this;

0kNltG.jpg

PhilHill said:
I've done several bodies with an angled edge, I usually use a 45 deg. bit like this;

0kNltG.jpg

Thanks, I was worried 45 degree might be too sharp but maybe it’s not. Do you have any pics of the bodies you’ve done like that?

fBLxEQ.jpg

DA9mzM.jpg

HZGHPZ.jpg

Those should give you an idea. The bit I used was capable of making a wider flat, but not much wider.... :icon_thumright:

Over the past few days I made my template and shaped the body! Next come the neck pocket and cavities, which I've never done before so I'll be practicing on another piece of wood (my practice body from the last build).

What do you guys think, pickguard or no pickguard? I'm leaning towards none and routing a cabronita style control cavity from the back.

JKRjPyk.jpg

bZpPJCK.jpg

slsBtAC.jpg

sN7humz.jpg

wNYoYHP.jpg

I kinda like the pickguard on this application.  Its going to be killer when done!

Looking good so far. I'd say if you want to do a Supro type thing, you need a pickguard to get the full effect. Something Art-Deco maybe..... :icon_thumright:

Thanks guys, I might have to go with a pickguard. I've never made one before so that should be a new adventure. Not sure how to give it the art deco look.

So, as I'm plotting out the locations for the neck pocket and bridge I've come to an unfortunate road block: I planned on using a hardtail bridge, but the swing of my 10" drill press isn't QUITE big enough to drill the string-through holes...

Do I
a.) Try to drill them by hand (of course I'd practice on scrap first, but this still sounds like a bad idea)
b.) Go with a top-loading hardtail (never played one before so I'm a little leery of that)
c.) Buy a bigger drill press (probably the correct answer, but I'd really prefer not to)

I guess I should start browsing Craiglist/Facebook for drill presses  :sad1: :dontknow:

ragamuffin said:
So, as I'm plotting out the locations for the neck pocket and bridge I've come to an unfortunate road block: I planned on using a hardtail bridge, but the swing of my 10" drill press isn't QUITE big enough to drill the string-through holes...

Do I
a.) Try to drill them by hand (of course I'd practice on scrap first, but this still sounds like a bad idea)
b.) Go with a top-loading hardtail (never played one before so I'm a little leery of that)
c.) Buy a bigger drill press (probably the correct answer, but I'd really prefer not to)

I guess I should start browsing Craiglist/Facebook for drill presses  :sad1: :dontknow:

1. You could use a regular or speed square up against the hand drill to make sure your perpendicular to the body, but it's still a slight gamble.
2. I've never noticed a lot of difference between string thru and top loading bridges. And remember, most Gibson electrics and the various copies of them are top loading.
3. Whether or not it's worth getting a larger drill press depends on how much more you can do with it in the future. If you plan on more builds, be they guitar or other things it might be a worth while investment.
Good luck on the project either way...... :headbang:

PhilHill said:
ragamuffin said:

Do I

1. You could use a regular or speed square up against the hand drill to make sure your perpendicular to the body, but it's still a slight gamble.
2. I've never noticed a lot of difference between string thru and top loading bridges. And remember, most Gibson electrics and the various copies of them are top loading.
3. Whether or not it's worth getting a larger drill press depends on how much more you can do with it in the future. If you plan on more builds, be they guitar or other things it might be a worth while investment.

Thanks Phil! I just thought of another option; I have a makerspace somewhat near me (though I've never been to it) that I believe has a drill press available. I'm going to contact them and see if I can use it.  :icon_thumright:

ragamuffin said:
PhilHill said:
ragamuffin said:

Do I

Thanks Phil! I just thought of another option; I have a makerspace somewhat near me (though I've never been to it) that I believe has a drill press available. I'm going to contact them and see if I can use it.  :icon_thumright:

There you go. Good luck on that option, it would help greatly if theirs is bigger.... :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
One word, drill block....well, two words.... :laughing7:
detail.jpg

Or maybe a drill guide... :dontknow:
detail.jpg

Ohh sure, call attention to my slow slide into senility by pointing out the ones I forgot to mention,,,,,,,,,,I mean really......uhh, what were we talking about again?.......... :dontknow:    :toothy10:

Back