Suprocaster

PhilHill said:
DangerousR6 said:
One word, drill block....well, two words.... :laughing7:
detail.jpg

Or maybe a drill guide... :dontknow:
detail.jpg

Ohh sure, call attention to my slow slide into senility by pointing out the ones I forgot to mention,,,,,,,,,,I mean really......uhh, what were we talking about again?.......... :dontknow:    :toothy10:
:laughing11:

Did the edge bevel with a 60 degree router bit, routed the neck pocket (perfect fit!) and pickup cavities, drilled the bridge location, and did the tummy cut and heel contour with my trusty shinto rasp!

ZO6j2qY.jpg

As far as drilling the string through holes: I emailed the local makerspace but they haven't replied to me after several days and they don't have a phone number listed on their website... I guess I'll have to just drive down there at some point.

That's looking great. I may have to try a 60 deg on something, I like the look of that one. I love my shinto rasp. You can do a lot of things fairly fast with it. Good luck on the makerspace idea.... :headbang:

Well I still hadn't gotten any response from the makerspace by email or Facebook, so today I grabbed my body and drill bits and made the drive down to St. Pete... Got there and the door was locked. It's like they dropped off the face of the earth. :dontknow:

Oh well, waste of time. Not a total waste though, there's a really great Cuban restaurant down there so I got a good lunch out of it.  :icon_thumright:

So over the last couple years I took a couple semesters of pottery classes at a local college where the pottery professor was also in charge of the woodshop/design studio. I facebook message him and asked if there was any chance I could use the drill press and he said come on over! So I went over and drilled the string through holes! Yay! One ferrule hole is slightly off center, but I guess that's fine.

Now to think about finishes and necks...

I really like the look of Fender's new "mercury" finish on the Am. Pro II series, I'm thinking about trying to replicate that using duplicolor paints
cFcbOnQ.png

For the neck I want to do bloodwood with an ebony fretboard, but I cant decide on inlays; pearl or abalone dots, pearloid blocks like the Supros I'm imitating, or maybe none at all for a clean modern look  :icon_scratch:

Here's my mockup of what I'm currently thinking (but picture it Supro shaped with the Tri Tone pickguard and a Warhead headstock because I lack photoshop skills)

3biIQnU.png

Another minor setback... Today I tried to make the pickguard; I had enough material for two guards but ended up ruining both. Both were going fine until I tried to do the edge bevel. The router ripped the guard/template out of my hand and tore up the guard. Now I have to order in more pickguard material  :(

CT1O8nM.jpg

Any advice here? Is this because my chamfer bit is dull? It's one I got with a cheap set of router bits.

Glad you weren't injured when it happened. The routerbeast shows no mercy. Unless it's fairly old, the bit should be ok, unless you've cut a lot of really hard wood with it. They don't usually go dull very quick.
Was the pickguard material attached to the template? I use painters tape and superglue to stick them together temporarily. And you could put a couple of handles on the template, like handles on a pot lid. You can get a better grip on it then. If your router has a speed adjustment try slowing it down a little.      :headbang:

PhilHill said:
Glad you weren't injured when it happened. The routerbeast shows no mercy. Unless it's fairly old, the bit should be ok, unless you've cut a lot of really hard wood with it. They don't usually go dull very quick.
Was the pickguard material attached to the template? I use painters tape and superglue to stick them together temporarily. And you could put a couple of handles on the template, like handles on a pot lid. You can get a better grip on it then. If your router has a speed adjustment try slowing it down a little.      :headbang:

Thanks Phil! I had was attached to the template with double sided tape (template was unharmed). A handle sounds like a smart idea, I'll give that a shot next time. My router speed was set to high the first time, and I lowered it before the second go, but it goes lower still so I'll try that. Just got to get my hand on some more pickguard sheets!

Good luck. Don't go too slow on the router speed, that can cause it's own problems.... :icon_thumright:

Paint day! I primed and let it dry for a couple hours and then shot it with "ingot silver" and "charcoal gray" Duplicolor.

It was looking pretty good!
9ZUv49s.jpg

And then my diy spray stand fell over and fucked up the bottom edge
H4JsnsQ.jpg

Damn that hurts! I'm kind of gutted.

I guess I could leave it as it is, the damage is not in the most noticeable location... But the perfectionist in me says to strip it all and start over. At least I hadn't applied clearcoat.  :sad:

PhilHill said:
Sand and feather, sand and feather, it'll be fine...... :icon_thumright:

Thanks for the positivity Phill. For whatever reason it hadn't crossed my mind to sand back/feather the area. I like the sound of that much more than doing a full strip.  :icon_thumright:

Looks like a darn good job to me, congrats on rising to the task............. :eek:ccasion14:

Back