Sub-Sonic Jazzmaster

Day-mun

This JM is built on a Warmoth Dakota Red chambered ash body fitted with the traditional Jazz/Jag bridge & tailpiece, along with SD JM pick-ups; Vintage neck and Hot bridge. The tone circuit has been simplified to master V & T w/ 3-way blade switch. Jack is mounted in the mint green pick guard along side the parchment accessories.

...Pretty typical, -until it comes to the neck. A Warmoth standard thin baritone maple/rosewood neck w/ vintage tint gloss finish brings the instrument's overall length to 44". Vintage style tuners stretch George Benson nickel flat-wound jazz strings (.014 - .055) to a B to B tuning.

The sound is clear and strong, yet mellow and very smooth. An experimental "what-if" build (and a bit of an impulse buy) based directly upon checking out the screamin' deals too closely lol! -Overall, A fun one for when I'm in the mood for something out of the ordinary! So fun to hand it to people and say "check out the new ax" and watch that thrilled/intrigued WTF look spread over their face when they grab that first chord  :laughing7:

Attachments

• DSCN1591.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 1,180
  • DSCN1590.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 808
  • DSCN1589.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 843
Dakota Red looks real good. And baritones are fun to play. I keep mine in C using 12's.
Does the vibrator hold the tuning good?

As long as ya don't touch it.

No, it's not that bad, but it is trippy. Can't lift up on it AT ALL or tuning is GONE. I got that lifting-the-whammy-bar habit many moons ago in the early eighties, back in those darker days when I was under the influence of Glam Rock and Japanese axes equipped with Floyd's and locking nuts  :confused4:

...But I'm doing a lot better nowadays.

All kidding aside, I don't entirely like the trem on this thing, but I never had one before, so... -like I said this piece was a "what if" experiment. Had I it to do over, I'd have grabbed up the other screamin' deal JM with the your-choice-trem, and put in something that works a little more like what I'm used to.

A very handsome axe. I just scored a baritone neck on Fleabay and I'm really looking forward to putting it into service.  Great, classic choices you made there.  Bravo.

Thanks again, fellas! After getting so much good feed-back, I went and pulled it out of the case and gave it some quality time. Ya know, that Jazz/Jag trem ain't so bad.

Took it to a friend's and he put it through a Plimsole and a TS808 to his twin (not a metal rig by any means, mind you) ... and shredded! I never would have guessed that it would have it in 'er!

Very nice! I like that the controls have been simplified, and I love Dakota Red.

I set up a baritone Bass VI a little while back, and they're unusual beasts. As I recall, the trem got locked on that one. Just left the spring out and ran the adjuster nut tight so it wouldn't move. Turns it into a hardtail without hurting the vintage appearance.

Cool, -I may do that rather than look into getting one of Altar's retro-fit slotted tailpiece plate thingies.

Back