Flake Finish Jazzmaster

It's now at the wizard at Parkway Music for soldering. Next pics will probably be about the case search, and then on to the gallery , pick out the beauty shots then into the submission thread. As I said, I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

8lbs 2oz is a really healthy baby, average in my family being 7lbs 8oz. For a jazzmaster most weigh between 8 and 9 lbs. Average weight is 8lbs 8oz, so anything under is nice. This thing balances well and I'll be playing mostly sitting down.

Last edited:
I'm curious about your order for the pickguard. The routes on the photo are shown as **Gibson Mini Hum**. Is it the same route as used for Gibson pickups? I think many mini-humbuckers are now made with metric dimensions that are neither Gibson or S.Duncan. Secondly, the online pickguard builder for the Jazzmaster does not list mini-humbuckers as an available option. Did you have to pay extra for pickguard routing with an off-menu option?

Yes, a mini humbucker rout in the jazzmaster body can be done no upcharge but a pickguard with a mini humbucker rout has to be special ordered. Curious right? AnywAY . Also, dimarzio is slightly larger east to west so you have to sand the pick guard edges a little bit. Up in the build thread you can read the saga, because I’m using a pickguard, I used humbucker routs in the body for more options later on if need be. The pickguard gracefully covers up any errors.

Last edited:
Well, she's home now. Set up is excellent and sounds great. I need to futz around with pick up heights and get her a case, then she'll be done. I get 20 different sounds out of this switching combo. It sounds as good as it looks. I need to explore how to use the middle minihumbucker. In person the inferno flake is stunning. 1000003795.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking guitar, I am interested with how you wired that, I'm looking for something similar

Wiring diagram is on page 5 of this thread. 180pf Treble Bleed, 22 cap on the volume, 500K pots.

That looks awesome Rick! Do you have a QB style wrist band for keeping track of pickup selection settings?

Actually it's easy to remember on the Freeway. One bank is normal strat, then the one's in the other bank I'm interested in are easy to remember. Middle is b and n in series. 1 is b and m in series and 5 is n and m in series. Then if I want to split the pups, I just flick the mini switch.

Actually it's easy to remember on the Freeway. One bank is normal strat, then the one's in the other bank I'm interested in are easy to remember. Middle is b and n in series. 1 is b and m in series and 5 is n and m in series. Then if I want to split the pups, I just flick the mini switch.
Was just ribbing ya. (I couldn't remember all that myself) Great build!

Last edited:
Also....................................dare I say.............................PRIMO!

I would even say it is Sassy!

Last edited:
Still fiddling with pickup heights ... I'll say poplar really sings, crisp with excellent sustain. It colors it with just a tad bit more warmth than alder. Really nice wood. I can see why Parker liked it with single coils, and I can say it goes very well with minihumbuckers, even when they are split. Though it could be the pups which edge into firebird territory.

Last edited:
Still fiddling with pickup heights ... I'll say poplar really sings, crisp with excellent sustain. It colors it with just a tad bit more warmth than alder. Really nice wood. I can see why Parker liked it with single coils, and I can say it goes very well with minihumbuckers, even when they are split. Though it could be the pups which edge into firebird territory.
Your on fire!

Sweet! Your electrics give you many choices but looks so simple.
I’m still tweaking pickup height on my build. A little goes a long way and can really change the character.

I get it ... fiddling while rome burns (I mean set up the guitar)

The paint looks a layer of tangerine candy, followed by red, orange and gold metallic flakes in different sizes, like 50% red, 45% orange and 5% gold, then coated in a clear. Takes at least three coats, I think. It's a very 3d effect. It took some skill to do paint this.

Last edited:
Got the case to my liking ... it was an open box specials, Gator Brand, I believe it's the JAG model. Anyway, there's less stitching than the last case of the same model I bought for my last jazzmaster build. probably 50% less stitches, and the tolex is less shiney, probably less water resistant. Still a good case though.

As before I had to upgrade the padding at the bottom with polyethelene foam, that I wrapped in high grade velvet. Also put on some bumpers on the bottom made out of stair tread. Now all I gotta do is make a name for any gigs this summer and come up with a logo.

Guitar in case with extra padding.jpgguitar in case rt side.jpgguitar in case left side.jpgguitar in case bumper on bottom.jpgguitar case half as much stiching.jpg

Last edited:
Back