Strat neck Reverse Headstock

lizardonice

Well, I believe it's about time for a second Warmoth project.  I'm experimenting with ideas of buying an all birdseye maple Strat neck with a reversed headstock (although I really don't care about capturing any sort of "Hendrix vibe", as they say.  :icon_smile:.). 
I'm interested primarily because I've read/heard that the change in string tension helps to fatten up the high E and B strings while keeping the bass end a bit more edgy, which has always been the tone I try to achieve. 
The thought of the wound strings being pulled and tugged through a string tee bothers me some, as couldn't the constant pressure create problems with the windings?  Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative, with this sort of thing?     

Sorry to say I haven't had a reverse headstock strat neck....yet....., but I've also been thinkin' about it for my next Strat. Let us know how it goes for you.

I've worked on quite a few Strats with reverse headstocks...

There does seem to be a (slight difference) in bending "feel".
The shorter (treble) strings are harder to bend, but bend sharper for a given bend distance.
The opposite for the longer strings.
It is important that there in no binding in the nut slots.

As fro the tone issue...it is harder to say.
You would have to try both on the same neck...which is a bit tricky.
IMO, it makes the top string more "solid" and the bass string "looser".

One very good thing about reverse headstocks is the much greater break angle for the top strings.
I agree with dudesweet157, if the tuners are staggered in height, then no string tree.

Interesting stuff...  I have had reverse headstock Jacksons and never really noticed any differences personally. Tomorrow I get my W reverse headstock CBS neck, wee haw! So I can finally have first hand experience with a reverse non tilted headstock neck. I can't wait! It's going to be a tough day today, knowing it's to arrive...

I just ( a few months ago actually) built a Warmoth guitar for a buddy, who just had to have a reverse headstock.  I don't like it, it looks goofey, to me.

But heres the problem, we gotta put string trees on it, not because the strings are jumping out of the nut, but because we wanna reduce the angle to the tuner of the higher tensioned strings, (the wounds strings), are putting on the far end of the headstock. The fear is that the headstock will tend to "warp" at a much higher rate. I haven't seen this personaly, but have heard that it happens easily and often.

I don't care really, it's not my axe and that's what he gets for being so difficult.

Don't worry about the string tension on the wound strings.

For a 10-46 set;

E 16.2
B 15.4
G 16.6
D 18.4
A 19.5
E 17.5  (lbs)

So there isn't that much more tension on the bass strings.  :cool01:

Thanks for that info! I was curious myself...

Well, 5:47 A.M.  OUT FOR DELIVERY!  Woot! Man, the waiting has been the absolute hardest part...

Back