Strat Hardtail Bridge - dumb question

buckallred

I don't use a trem and therefore do not want one.

i have a strat body that has a hole cut through it where the bridge goes.

What does it mean to "block" the bridge?

how do you install a "hardtail" bridge?

Hello!  :)
The bridge routing for one is different from the another... If you go build a guitar with hardtail, it won't have a "hole" under the bridge for the block... it will be solid with 6 small holes for the strings (one for each string, mean?)
There's a way to make a guitar before made for 'tremolo' goes to a hardtail... gluing a blank of wood in that hole and refinishing the whole guitar... But I don't think it worth the while in deed... It's too much better to sell the one you get and catch another one build to hardtail bridge!
Even talking monetary it don't worth the while...  :icon_thumright:

you can just add all five springs and make em tight, leaving the plate flat on the body.  That'll make it solid

This is a replacement hard tail bridge that will cover the vibrato route.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Custom-Shop-Parts-Hot-Rod-Drop-Top-Convertible-Bridge?sku=361537

Just an idea.

Five springs should work as long as you don't use really heavy strings. I do it on my slide strat guitar, however I use 12s on that and so the trem still works as normal with 5 springs just as 3 springs would work with 9s/10s.

thats why ya gotta tighten the claw too... just enuf tension to put that plate on the top of the guitar... and yes with an arm on the trem, you CAN push it if you want... but... takes more effort, and only goes one way (down)

-CB- said:
thats why ya gotta tighten the claw too... just enuf tension to put that plate on the top of the guitar... and yes with an arm on the trem, you CAN push it if you want... but... takes more effort, and only goes one way (down)

Yeah, beware tho I snapped my trem arm once and getting the broken off part out of the bridge was a pain in the backside!!!!

Thats why you remove the arm... the whole idea is "hardtail" so no arm needed.

StewMac has a vibrato adapter block for ?Fender? routs to convert for the Trilogy trinary detuning bridges.
http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/instrument/Electric_guitar/Bridges,_tailpieces/Hipshot_Trilogy_Bridges.html

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Shop_by_instrument/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_tailpieces/1/Hipshot_Trilogy_Bridges/Pictures.html#details

I have no idea if it will fit a Warmoth vibrato rout. I wasn't willing to spend $25 just to find out.

Gregg has one of those on a VW in the gallery here.  Check it out!  I guess that would mean it'll fit on a Warmoth.

I would go with the five spring method.  I play 11s with four springs and my bridge just barely rests against the body with a little more than 3/8" space left between the spring claw and the end of the tremolo cavity.  Even with 11s, I'm sure I could make mine stationary with five springs tightened down just a little more.

ibob74 said:
This is a replacement hard tail bridge that will cover the vibrato route.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Custom-Shop-Parts-Hot-Rod-Drop-Top-Convertible-Bridge?sku=361537

Just an idea.

I'm gonna 2nd this idea from ibob, it looks good, about 50 bucks. has more adjustment than a typical trem setup

If your not gonna use a trem, get rid of all the clutter.

Third vote in favor of the drop top convertible bridge.  Covers the trem hole completely and solves the whole issue while giving you all the goodness of hardtail, and it's pretty well made. I'm glad I went that route.

My vote is just against musician's friend.

Some minor mods may be necessary, but "No dimensions available" for that drop-in hardtail. fudge you musician's friend. Buy yourselves a damn ruler.

It is the right size to cover the trem hole on an import or domestic fender or squier.  MF have never done me wrong, though they're not nearly as 'discount' as they claim to be.

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 394
I just don't see how it makes sense to sell a product where dimensions are important, and yet not attempt to provide those dimensions, regardless of what the bridge is or is not supposed to fit. To me, that isn't a good business practice.

it says it's a string thru body design but where do the strings run thru??  does it come with a trem block attatched or somn since it'll be covering open space where the trem would be? :icon_scratch:

tfarny said:
MF have never done me wrong, though they're not nearly as 'discount' as they claim to be.

So where should we go for the real deals? I always noticed that MF, Guitar Center, Music123 and even Sweetwater always have exactly the same pricing on most stuff... almost like a conspiracy! (sorry for the off topic)

This pretty much works the same in all online distribution businesses; beyond a certain volume they all get the same pricing, and the competition drives down margins to the same matched level, much like Lowe's vs. Home Depot pricing guarantees....

Back