steel rods vs.graphite rods

Pelagaard

Just how much difference is there between these two options?  Obviously the steel weigh more, but that can be argued either way as to whether that's good or not.  Anyone have experience with the graphite rods, preferably compared to an otherwise identical neck with steel?

Theres a local guitar manufacturer who did graphite rods, and every one I ever played felt deader than a doornail.  I'm not a high mass junkie either, but I have never been impressed with graphite in guitar necks. 

Not exactly apples to apples, but I have a Fender P bass with a graphite maple/maple neck and a Warmoth '72 P/J with a maple/RW P neck with steel. Both are nice basses, but I believe the W neck is better and more resonant. Thus all my W basses have/will-have steel.

Some people claim graphite is more "vintage sounding" (apparently based on the idea that the specific gravity is closer to wood) - as if vintage necks had stiffening rods, or that maple sounds anything like graphite (carbon fiber).

Mass generally equates to stiffness in similar materials. Graphite rods generally provide significantly higher stiffness per gram than steel in one direction (which, luckily, is all a truss rod needs). There is no difference in tone (note that this is different to saying "you won't hear a difference"). Some people like more mass in their guitars, but I'd argue that the neck isn't the right place for it.

Some people like more mass in their guitars, but I'd argue that the neck isn't the right place for it.

"Right" is subjective. Some manufacturers specifically use low-mass tuners to keep it down, others specifically use high-mass tuners to build it up. I like all the weight it can stand and still balance, because I think it makes the tone more even and predictable - exactly the opposite from someone who like quirky woody "character." In general you're looking at another of the endless, compensatory "woody vs. metallic", "warm vs. clear" parameters but everything's a marketing point these days - bad is good, weird is normal, normal is dull and dull is consistent, hence good. Buy buy buy.

Back