So... I'm not the only Trekkie am I?

Volitions Advocate

Has anybody seen it yet?
They did an amazing job.

I especially like how it was a reboot, and yet all the previous shows/movies are still technically canon with this story arc.

Karl Urban was amazing.

I'm going to see it shortly, but I'm not a Trekkie.  It doesn't hold a candle to the greatness that is Star Wars.  I've just been told that completely apart from Star Trek it is a phenomenal movie and very accessible to the non-Trekkie.

You can be a big fan of star trek, "me" the series, the movies etc.. and not be a "Trekki"      A trekki is just someone that's gone off the deep end, kinda like us here, we are Warmekkis, or guitekkis

I plan on seeing it. It scored a 96% rating on rottentomatoes.com, though i think thats its a little early, and all the "trekkies" offset the score.
That being said.......Jack, that was rather d-bagish of you

I'm a fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek.  and I gotta say.  As awesome as Star Wars is....  The Episode I - III fiasco is entirely blown out of the water with this one movie.  Not that it's without its flaws, but it was actually worth the wait.  Not many movies recently have been..  I haven't seen wolverine yet but I hear it sucked.

Oh well.. 2 weeks till terminator!

I think I am among the few that didn't think Ep I-III sucked.  I thought they were pretty much par for the course for a Lucas film.  I never understood why people suddenly expected George Lucas to do something completely different than he always has.

I liked Star Trek.  It was a solid film, though it was definitely a set up movie for future films more than anything.

Volitions Advocate said:
I'm a fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek.  and I gotta say.  As awesome as Star Wars is....  The Episode I - III fiasco is entirely blown out of the water with this one movie.  Not that it's without its flaws, but it was actually worth the wait.  Not many movies recently have been..  I haven't seen wolverine yet but I hear it sucked.

Oh well.. 2 weeks till terminator!

I completely agree about Star Wars.  I love the old Star Wars, but the new stuff is so unbelievably lame.  Though, the general rule of thumb for Star Trek movies in my opinion is that the odd numbered movies sucked... think about it.  Star Trek 3 was okay, but 1 and 5 were terrible.  2 and 4 were awesome.  6 was good too.  I didn't like Generations, I loved First Contact, I hated Insurrection, and Nemesis was lame, except for the part where they had to crash the Enterprise into the other ship.

Babylon 5 and Firefly are still my favorites though.

I'm a hardcore trekkie, and I was a bit disappointed, but that might have something to do with just ME, not the movie. I wanted to see the movie so badly the day it got released, but due to my girlfriend, I didn't get around to see it, so i was disappointed at everything else at that time...

what was good: (SPOILER ALLERT!!!!)

accessability for a non-trekkie!
kinda-canon. Major bummer is the explosion of Vulcan and the death of spocks mum. whats the DEAL with that?! she lived in search for spock and voyage home...
great acting!
great special effects
nice story!!!!!

what was bad:
the explosion and death of spocks mother
maybe a bit too much action, and not enough depth, but that might had something to do with my urge to go to the bathroom, halfway during the movie.

I think that I'll love it BIG time when I see it for a second time.

but still, I can't shake the feeling, why was Star Trek: Nemesis bad?!

I'm not a huge Star Trek fan as said above, but I assume it's a whole new ball game now that they have changed the timeline with Spock and the Romulans coming back from the future and all.  If you think about it, it was a pretty clever way to start completely over and allow them to do what they want without being restrained by the previous story lines.

Took my mom to see it for Mother's Day, and all I can say is HELLS YES!!!!  So good.  I'm so glad it's an alternate history now.  That will make it exciting for future movies because they can kill off anyone they want and it won't be predictable. 

Karl Urban and Simon Pegg as Bones and Scotty were freaking awesome too, not to mention how unbelievably perfect Zachary Quinto is as Spock. 

I didn't like Nemesis, but I haven't seen it since I saw it in the theater, so I don't remember that much about it other than I thought it was lame. 

And I didn't like Episodes I-III of Star Wars because I think Hayen Christensen is a terrible actor, and the one that he isn't in is full of Jar Jar.  That and there are some really awkward CG animation scenes, especially in II (like that part where Anakin and Amidala are in that big field and he is attempting to ride that... thing, and it looks very very fake).  I think III was the worst one.  I laughed out loud at several parts in the movie that were not supposed to be funny because I couldn't believe how many cliches there were in the script.  It was like watching a really bad Kung Fu movie. 

I think the main thing that is missing from the new movies though is Han Solo.  He was the best character in the old ones, and they didn't put anything in the new movies to replace his presence. 

I'll go see this for old time's sake, probably with my nephew, but I'm not somebody who keeps a Lego Enterprise on his desk at work, nor am I interested in learning much Klingon.

hannaugh said:
Took my mom to see it for Mother's Day, and all I can say is HELLS YES!!!!  So good.  I'm so glad it's an alternate history now.  That will make it exciting for future movies because they can kill off anyone they want and it won't be predictable. 

Karl Urban and Simon Pegg as Bones and Scotty were freaking awesome too, not to mention how unbelievably perfect Zachary Quinto is as Spock. 

I didn't like Nemesis, but I haven't seen it since I saw it in the theater, so I don't remember that much about it other than I thought it was lame. 

And I didn't like Episodes I-III of Star Wars because I think Hayen Christensen is a terrible actor, and the one that he isn't in is full of Jar Jar.  That and there are some really awkward CG animation scenes, especially in II (like that part where Anakin and Amidala are in that big field and he is attempting to ride that... thing, and it looks very very fake).  I think III was the worst one.  I laughed out loud at several parts in the movie that were not supposed to be funny because I couldn't believe how many cliches there were in the script.  It was like watching a really bad Kung Fu movie. 

I think the main thing that is missing from the new movies though is Han Solo.  He was the best character in the old ones, and they didn't put anything in the new movies to replace his presence. 

wow, I can't stop thinking, am I  a clone of you, but in male form?  :hello2: as if your post could've come from my mouth.

I don't think I commented on zachery quinto or chris pine, but man... these 2 are awesome!!!!! chemistry, just like the old days! how scotty got introduced, wow!

there were SO many hints to old movies, I loved it!

like when the shuttlepod with the captain from the USS kelvin went to the romulan ship; just like the enterprise with V'Ger!
the bug with cpt. Pike: wrath of kahn!
the tribble with the introduction of scotty!
the huge battle with the romulan ship and the federation-ships reminded me of 'best of both worlds', TNG, or maybe even nemesis
the alternate timeline: first contact!
strange enemy who's intentions are unclear, romulan in heritage: nemesis (duh!)
the part where the old spockg gives scotty that formula; nice wraparound with the thing they did in voyage home (where scotty gave that dude the transparant aluminium formula; how do we know he didn't invent the stuff?)

etc etc

i can go on and on with this for hours haha

meh I'm roughly 0% trekkie.. up until this movie, I'd seen the one with Ricardo "Kahn" and never seen a single episode. That being said I did get all the throw backs, just due to being alive and around pop culture.. "Damnit man I'm a doctor..." etc.  Oh and when Kirk walks in and sits in the chair the way "He" does.. that killed me.

So not a trekkie at all, but I really enjoyed the movie.. it was great.

I Saw It

I Loved It

It ignited the ball of red matter in my head and imploded my being into a black hole of throughly satisfied happiness wile I was loving it.  :icon_biggrin:

Well i started this thread and I"m trekkie through and through. (dont' worry i don't carry the card and I can't speak klingon...  *AHEM*verwell*COUGHSPUTTER* :tard:: j/k.
Gotta say... I loved the movie like crazy but you have to admit... Scotty's little pointy headed alien friend was just a little too Jar Jar Binks for my enjoyment.  I think that's my only real gripe.

Back