So... I'm not the only Trekkie am I?

SPOILER ALERT:  Do not read if planning on and not seen the movie yet.

The destruction of Vulcan I think shot them in the foot for future movies ( although they said continuity from the series and other movies isn't necessarily maintained).
A couple of things.  If the "red matter" is what causes a black hole, is drilling really necessary?  And what was Spock's mom doing in the temple?  She is constantly reminded she isn't Vulcan.  Why is she in their most sacred place?  The entire Federation Armada minus The Enterprise is destroyed, Vulcan is destroyed, Earth is almost destroyed, yet the mission is a success?  It was luck that the old Future Spock and young Kirk were in the same cave on the same planet, which BTW, was in view of Vulcan despite being at Warp for some time.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:

The destruction of Vulcan I think shot them in the foot for future movies ( although they said continuity from the series and other movies isn't necessarily maintained).
A couple of things.  If the "red matter" is what causes a black hole, is drilling really necessary?  And what was Spock's mom doing in the temple?  She is constantly reminded she isn't Vulcan.  Why is she in their most sacred place?  The entire Federation Armada minus The Enterprise is destroyed, Vulcan is destroyed, Earth is almost destroyed, yet the mission is a success?  It was luck that the old Future Spock and young Kirk were in the same cave on the same planet, which BTW, was in view of Vulcan despite being at Warp for some time.
Aww, stop it, I liked the movie. :laughing7:

the explosion of vulcan might be canon afterall. there is no mention what soever of vulcan being new or old in the later series. in fact, we always see a desolate wasteland, not the state-of-the-art capitol we see in this movie. it is not a shot in the foot, cause it might be a good way to make more movies in order to change this issue.

she aint vulcan, but her husband is, and thats why she might had to be there for some kind of ritual. they haven't stated WHAT they were doing there. I can follow that though. My mum was married to a jew, and he took her to the temple, cause she had no place to go otherwise due to 'hostile' jews around her (feeling of being left alone, etc etc). is doable.

it was indeed luck that spock met kirk there, and I can't recall that the enterprise was already at warp. but, don't forget that making something into a black hole is really good visable over huge distances. trust me, if the closest star next to us would go black hole, we'd see it...

the red matter will make it a black hole, indeed, but just a very small one if it touched, lets say, a rock. that wouldn't have had the ability to suck up the entire planet in 2, 3 minutes. it would've given them enough time to beam out that part of the planets surface, and have a safe planet. by turning the CORE in a black hole, the planet is really doomed, no way out of this.

its really a well thought over script, though the part 'cardassian sunrise' bugs me, but again, in the series, its never been mentioned on when first contact was with the cardassians.

the mission is a success in the fact that earth survived, the enterprise was not destroyed, and most importantly: the federation is still intact! and, there's a jumping bridge for making peace in the future with the romulans (just listen to what Kirk says at the end).

Seeing that this is an alternate timeline/parallel universe, I don't think they've shot themselves in the foot at all.  It just makes it all the more exciting because they could kill any character they want in future movies. 

Haven't seen the movie. Alternate timelines are a complete cop-out, a lazy writer's cover-up. If Spock dies in an 'alternate timeline', so he isn't 'really' dead, why should we care that he dies? It makes everything too easy.

tfarny said:
Haven't seen the movie. Alternate timelines are a complete cop-out, a lazy writer's cover-up. If Spock dies in an 'alternate timeline', so he isn't 'really' dead, why should we care that he dies? It makes everything too easy.

or not easy, depends on what kind of story you want to tell, how you want to make the reboot, etc etc

tfarny said:

Well, how else would they be able to come up with a fresh exciting storyline with the same characters without the fans getting all pissed off?  I don't think they would be able to do it.  I mean, there have been a crap load of movies, books, and comics that all tie into the same Star Trek timeline.  There isn't that much room to do anything new.  I think it's great because the writers can do whatever they want now.  I'm totally looking forward to seeing Spock and the other Vulcans have to deal with the loss of their planet in future films.  I for one like this Kirk a lot better than in the other movies.  I think he is a lot more interesting. 

I saw the movie and thought it was meh. Storyline/plot was pretty weak imo.
Great CGI though. Acting was good.

hannaugh said:
Well, how else would they be able to come up with a fresh exciting storyline with the same characters without the fans getting all pissed off? 

Well, with Star Wars there was still an exciting story line (minus Jar-Jar Binks) with episodes 1 through 3 even though 4 through 6 gave away what already happened.  They didn't blowup Tatooine in the first movie only to revisit it in later installments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUUhTgWpjSc

hehehe - I don't like Star Wars anymore so I think i'll skip this. I don't really like them messing with the Star Trek universe anyway.

If you watched the video you would know that this isn't about starwars messing with the star trek universe.

rockskate4x said:
If you watched the video you would know that this isn't about starwars messing with the star trek universe.

huh? you misunderstood me. I'm talking about people making a Star Trek movie that doesn't fit into the Star Trek universe. What I said had nothing to do with Star Wars.

I've been a trekkie since 1969.  Took my boys to see the new movie last week.  Great movie and a really cool idea to splinter off and allow them to do more.

Live long and prosper...
or as the original Spoke put it...

good luck.

hannaugh said:
Well, how else would they be able to come up with a fresh exciting storyline with the same characters without the fans getting all pissed off? 

Well, with Star Wars there was still an exciting story line (minus Jar-Jar Binks) with episodes 1 through 3 even though 4 through 6 gave away what already happened.  They didn't blowup Tatooine in the first movie only to revisit it in later installments.

Bad example.  Those movies sucked. 

Pegg as Scotty was the JarJar of Star Trek. HATED HATED HATED the way he played Scotty. Hated the opening of the movie. Takes his uncle's mint antique Vette and runs it off the cliff? I know the scene was showing that JTK was a rebel from the beginning...but really? Your uncle's Vette off the cliff?    I didn't care for the movie. But I am pretty rough on movies.

hannaugh said:
Soooo basically, you're with these people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM

quite right, quite right. why bash the movie, just because it tries to refresh star trek? I'm a hardcore fan, and so is my sister, and my mum, and girlfriend, and fudge, we all loved it.

Back