So, I'm new to this.

Tempest

Hello, I've been reading around on these boards for a while now and I've just joined.  I've decided to build a Warmoth guitar and wanted to hear some opinions and suggestions on my ideas.  Heres my specs:

Warmoth Tele body - Swamp Ash. Chambered. Tobacco burst or tigers eye burst.  I'll have it routed for an HB in the bridge and a P90 in the neck.

Warmoth Pro CBS neck - Gancalo Alves with a zircote board, unfinished of course. 59 roundback

Gotoh humbucker tele bridge,Schaller mini-locking tuners, I think I'll get a coil splitter for the HB.  all chrome hardware.

I know I'm missing a lot.  As I've never done this I'd like some help with the little details.

Thanks,
Chase

Edit: New plans January 4th.

Sounds good to me.  I've never seen a GA neck.  That would be interesting to see.  Oh yeah, WELCOME!!

Welcome!

That guitar is gonna FEED BACK if you turn up the gain much.  It's just something Thinlines do :(  So take that into consideration.  If it was just a Tele I'd say awesome :)  If you're a distortion kinda guy you might want to rethink Thinline in my opinion.  YMMV, good luck with your build  :guitarplayer2:

dbw said:
Welcome!

That guitar is gonna FEED BACK if you turn up the gain much.  It's just something Thinlines do :(  So take that into consideration.  If it was just a Tele I'd say awesome :)  If you're a distortion kinda guy you might want to rethink Thinline in my opinion.  YMMV, good luck with your build  :guitarplayer2:

Thanks for the warm welcome!  I actually hadn't even thought of the feedback thing.  It's funny because just before I read that I was thinking of getting a solid body instead.  Does anyone know if I can get a tele deluxe with a P90 route in the neck slot? I know I could just get a standard tele but i would like a strat neck pocket, and i don't want to not be able to return it (I'll probably be fine with it when it comes, I'm probably just a little paranoid) 

Welcome to the forum!  :eek:ccasion14:

You can get any combination of these pickups:
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_guitar_pickups_routing.cfm

I would say, to rock tones or punchy tones, solid body... if you want that BB King tone, go thinline...

Thanks NT I was just making sure I could do that.  Now another question on the deluxe.  Would I have to get a strat type hardtail on it? or would i be able to use the humbucker tele bridge?  It seems like i may have to modify the deluxe pickguard for the tele bridge to fit. 

About the Tele Deluxe: Strat neck pocket is standard in this model  :icon_thumright:

You say about Humbucker bridge and P90 neck? You can do both with a humbucker at bridge: tele bridge and strat bridge (hardtail or vibrato)...

=CB= knows somethings about HxP90... as far as I remember is not that simple to match them in volume... Perhaps he can help you...

I remember reading one of =CB='s posts where he said it would be hard to match a P90 and a single coil.  But that a P90 and a HB would work better together.  It doesn't seem like the Deluxe's pickguard will fit the standard tele bridge though.

Yeah, not sure about the bridge... maybe check with Warmoth on that.

I don't think you'll have any trouble matching a HB to a P-90.  There are humbuckers of every imaginable output level.

As I think about it I'm not sure I'm gonna get the deluxe...(jeez I'm indecisive) i don't really like where the knobs are on it.  think I'll go with a standard tele body.  I can fit a strat neck into a tele pocket so i don't need to custom order it with the strat style pocket.  Now i need to figure out what finish to get.  :doh: 

The mental gymnastics are so much a part of the fun of building a Warmoth.  Welcome!  :icon_thumright:

Tempest said:
As I think about it I'm not sure I'm gonna get the deluxe...(jeez I'm indecisive) i don't really like where the knobs are on it.  think I'll go with a standard tele body.  I can fit a strat neck into a tele pocket so i don't need to custom order it with the strat style pocket.  Now i need to figure out what finish to get.   :doh: 

Didn't understand about the custom order on pocket... on tele deluxe the standard route is the Strat one...

And you can fit the strat neck on a tele without look weird as long as you get a 22 fret neck...  :icon_thumright:

Yes, many options... kind of hard to decide what to do, but I say: don't take a bad time, probably you'll build a 2nd and a 3rd, so... the others plans you have will come to life anyway  :toothy12:

DBW, why the feedback concerns? Do you think a thinline body feeds back more than an ES335 for instance? Have you had problems with this? I don' t get to play mine loud enough to test it out, but it doesn't seem like it would be a problem at all. The body is a solid block from the neck joint all the way down to the bridge. I've never heard anyone else complain about this either.

tfarny said:
DBW, why the feedback concerns? Do you think a thinline body feeds back more than an ES335 for instance? Have you had problems with this? I don' t get to play mine loud enough to test it out, but it doesn't seem like it would be a problem at all. The body is a solid block from the neck joint all the way down to the bridge. I've never heard anyone else complain about this either.

I think I'll get a solid anyways though.  If I like this (and i suspect i will after all the good stuff i've heard  :)) then i will for sure make more builds in the future.  I believe a hollow L5S would be high on that list of future builds,  so I'll get hollow tones out of that. 

That's good, tfarny.... I don't own a Thinline but I've played them and experienced feedback.  I found some comments here http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-72-Classic-Telecaster-Thinline-Electric-Guitar?sku=510474 that mention feedback, too.

Maybe Warmoth's Thinline construction is for whatever reason less feedback-prone than Fender's....  :dontknow:

Cool, I wasn't getting down on you, just wanting to clarify. Like I said, I don't play mine through a dimed Kranker-stack with a genocidal-death-metal2 pedal, so I haven't had any feedback probs with mine.

I've been thinking about finishes.  How do you guys think a trans blue would look with the Goncalo?

Tempest said:
I've been thinking about finishes.  How do you guys think a trans blue would look with the Goncalo?
344.gif

Back