So, I'm new to this.

Tempest

Senior member
Messages
770
Hello, I've been reading around on these boards for a while now and I've just joined.  I've decided to build a Warmoth guitar and wanted to hear some opinions and suggestions on my ideas.  Heres my specs:

Warmoth Tele body - Swamp Ash. Chambered. Tobacco burst or tigers eye burst.  I'll have it routed for an HB in the bridge and a P90 in the neck.

Warmoth Pro CBS neck - Gancalo Alves with a zircote board, unfinished of course. 59 roundback

Gotoh humbucker tele bridge,Schaller mini-locking tuners, I think I'll get a coil splitter for the HB.  all chrome hardware.

I know I'm missing a lot.  As I've never done this I'd like some help with the little details.

Thanks,
Chase

Edit: New plans January 4th.
 

shanejw

Senior member
Messages
698
Sounds good to me.  I've never seen a GA neck.  That would be interesting to see.  Oh yeah, WELCOME!!
 

dbw

Senior member
Messages
4,531
Welcome!

That guitar is gonna FEED BACK if you turn up the gain much.  It's just something Thinlines do :(  So take that into consideration.  If it was just a Tele I'd say awesome :)  If you're a distortion kinda guy you might want to rethink Thinline in my opinion.  YMMV, good luck with your build  :guitarplayer2:
 

Tempest

Senior member
Messages
770
dbw said:
Welcome!

That guitar is gonna FEED BACK if you turn up the gain much.  It's just something Thinlines do :(  So take that into consideration.  If it was just a Tele I'd say awesome :)  If you're a distortion kinda guy you might want to rethink Thinline in my opinion.  YMMV, good luck with your build  :guitarplayer2:

Thanks for the warm welcome!  I actually hadn't even thought of the feedback thing.  It's funny because just before I read that I was thinking of getting a solid body instead.  Does anyone know if I can get a tele deluxe with a P90 route in the neck slot? I know I could just get a standard tele but i would like a strat neck pocket, and i don't want to not be able to return it (I'll probably be fine with it when it comes, I'm probably just a little paranoid) 
 

NonsenseTele

Senior member
Messages
8,256
Welcome to the forum!  :eek:ccasion14:

You can get any combination of these pickups:
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_guitar_pickups_routing.cfm

I would say, to rock tones or punchy tones, solid body... if you want that BB King tone, go thinline...
 

Tempest

Senior member
Messages
770
Thanks NT I was just making sure I could do that.  Now another question on the deluxe.  Would I have to get a strat type hardtail on it? or would i be able to use the humbucker tele bridge?  It seems like i may have to modify the deluxe pickguard for the tele bridge to fit. 
 

NonsenseTele

Senior member
Messages
8,256
About the Tele Deluxe: Strat neck pocket is standard in this model  :icon_thumright:

You say about Humbucker bridge and P90 neck? You can do both with a humbucker at bridge: tele bridge and strat bridge (hardtail or vibrato)...

=CB= knows somethings about HxP90... as far as I remember is not that simple to match them in volume... Perhaps he can help you...
 

Tempest

Senior member
Messages
770
I remember reading one of =CB='s posts where he said it would be hard to match a P90 and a single coil.  But that a P90 and a HB would work better together.  It doesn't seem like the Deluxe's pickguard will fit the standard tele bridge though.
 

dbw

Senior member
Messages
4,531
Yeah, not sure about the bridge... maybe check with Warmoth on that.

I don't think you'll have any trouble matching a HB to a P-90.  There are humbuckers of every imaginable output level.
 

Tempest

Senior member
Messages
770
As I think about it I'm not sure I'm gonna get the deluxe...(jeez I'm indecisive) i don't really like where the knobs are on it.  think I'll go with a standard tele body.  I can fit a strat neck into a tele pocket so i don't need to custom order it with the strat style pocket.  Now i need to figure out what finish to get.  :doh: 
 

DocNrock

Senior member
Messages
4,295
The mental gymnastics are so much a part of the fun of building a Warmoth.  Welcome!  :icon_thumright:
 

NonsenseTele

Senior member
Messages
8,256
Tempest said:
As I think about it I'm not sure I'm gonna get the deluxe...(jeez I'm indecisive) i don't really like where the knobs are on it.  think I'll go with a standard tele body.  I can fit a strat neck into a tele pocket so i don't need to custom order it with the strat style pocket.  Now i need to figure out what finish to get.   :doh: 

Didn't understand about the custom order on pocket... on tele deluxe the standard route is the Strat one...

And you can fit the strat neck on a tele without look weird as long as you get a 22 fret neck...  :icon_thumright:

Yes, many options... kind of hard to decide what to do, but I say: don't take a bad time, probably you'll build a 2nd and a 3rd, so... the others plans you have will come to life anyway  :toothy12:
 

tfarny

Senior member
Messages
4,481
DBW, why the feedback concerns? Do you think a thinline body feeds back more than an ES335 for instance? Have you had problems with this? I don' t get to play mine loud enough to test it out, but it doesn't seem like it would be a problem at all. The body is a solid block from the neck joint all the way down to the bridge. I've never heard anyone else complain about this either.
 

Tempest

Senior member
Messages
770
tfarny said:
DBW, why the feedback concerns? Do you think a thinline body feeds back more than an ES335 for instance? Have you had problems with this? I don' t get to play mine loud enough to test it out, but it doesn't seem like it would be a problem at all. The body is a solid block from the neck joint all the way down to the bridge. I've never heard anyone else complain about this either.

I think I'll get a solid anyways though.  If I like this (and i suspect i will after all the good stuff i've heard  :)) then i will for sure make more builds in the future.  I believe a hollow L5S would be high on that list of future builds,  so I'll get hollow tones out of that. 
 

dbw

Senior member
Messages
4,531
That's good, tfarny.... I don't own a Thinline but I've played them and experienced feedback.  I found some comments here http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-72-Classic-Telecaster-Thinline-Electric-Guitar?sku=510474 that mention feedback, too.

Maybe Warmoth's Thinline construction is for whatever reason less feedback-prone than Fender's....  :dontknow:
 

tfarny

Senior member
Messages
4,481
Cool, I wasn't getting down on you, just wanting to clarify. Like I said, I don't play mine through a dimed Kranker-stack with a genocidal-death-metal2 pedal, so I haven't had any feedback probs with mine.
 

Tempest

Senior member
Messages
770
I've been thinking about finishes.  How do you guys think a trans blue would look with the Goncalo?
 

DangerousR6

Senior member
Messages
15,453
Tempest said:
I've been thinking about finishes.  How do you guys think a trans blue would look with the Goncalo?
344.gif
 
Top