Smartphone n00b needs help setting up to use AmpliTube UA

Day-mun

Just now getting my feet wet in regards to having/using a smartphone. Just picked up a droid turbo yesterday and already trying to figure out how to play guitar/bass through the thing. I always meant to figure out desktop recording/garage band type stuff, but the kids were all over the laptop I got for x-mas from my girlfriend (now wife) a few years back, so I never got around to it.

Anyway, the kids have grown, and moved on to their own lives (and devices), and I am gonna give the whole virtual rig a shot now that I have this new gadget phone. Saw AmpliTube UA as an app, but not sure whether or not it works with my phone. Youngest kid still here laughin' at her old man not knowing if there's a difference between Android and droid or if irig works for more than just apple stuff; so I thought I would get some input from you trusted forum-fellows so I get a good app, and more importantly, the right interface/Accessories.

I just left that phase, -'cept my last cell was a slide-out keypad messaging phone.

-Just wanted to check with the fellas about the compatibility of the different interface/processor accessories available so that I order the right one for the phone I have.

Anybody out there fiddled with this much?

bueller.jpg

The iRig stuff, as the name would imply, only works with iPhones.  There is no Android version available to my knowledge (I have an ancient, stone-age iPhone 4S .... may switch to Android when or if it dies).

For the computer, IK Multimedia's guitar rig software is pretty cool, but there is no "mobile" version of it.

I have the iRig2 on the way. I was a little leery, too, about the compatibility with my phone based on Amazon's product description (-it didn't really mention Android or other kinds, just Galaxy as an example), but MF's overview was much more in-depth and conveyed that it would indeed work.  -I will letcha guys know how it works with my Motorola Droid Turbo... -intend to install the AmpliTube UA app from the playstore to try it with.  :guitaristgif:

@pabloman: Thanks for pointing me to this interface; I am not tech-savvy by any means, and researching all the specifics of that kind of stuff would just make my head spin! Me finding the iRig2 on my own would have been a needle-in-a-haystack experience, but ya got me quickly to a narrowed down list of one (that's my speed). Now I can get started (hopefully) having fun with this crazy smartphone gizmo in a way I'm familiar with: jammin'!

I guess the Galaxy had some fancy audio software at least compared to the other Android phones out at the time of the i Rig2's initial release. That's why you'll find a lot of documentation referencing only Galaxy comparability. The newer versions of Android became compatible. 5.0 I think. Anyway I hope it works out for ya. I was gifted an iRig that I use on an old iPhone I have from work. It's a cool tool for sure.

Welp... here's how it went today: iRig2 showed up on my doorstep. installed the IK AmpliTube UA app on my Droid Turbo. Plugged in the interface and got ready to try it out. Nothin'. I got two options on my phone screen: "Order iRig UA" or "Run Demo Mode".

It never occurred to me that the app would tell me what interface I needed to operate it.  :doh:

In pabloman's defense, I did grab one of the other more generic amp apps and gave it a whirl and the iRig2 "worked" for that. Quality wasn't there (the latency was enough to be very off-putting), so I guess since I wanna use IK's AmpliTube, I'm gonna hafta bite the bullet and order the IK app-suggested interface.

...The iRig2 would totally work for iOS versions; I'll have to see if I got any buds that have an iPhone that don't already have this kinda little gizmo...

Rec'd the iRig UA and it -in tandem with the Amplitube app- is pretty sweet! Other amp apps won't work with it (that I can tell; the others seem to need an interface that plugs into the ear bud jack), but that _and the fact that the only output option is an 1/8" headphone jack, -a minor issue easily solved with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter from radio shack), is the only things I can think of that I don't like about it.
iRig-UA.jpg

Back