A little bit of excitement up a the ski club

mayfly

Epic Member
Hi Folks,

I took my youngest up to our local ski club for a little bit of skiing.  The snow was great and the kid had a good time.

index.php

It was when we decided to leave that our adventure began!  Our club is hosting the nationals this winter and because of that there are a lot of infrastructure improvements going on.  So perhaps we should not have been surprised when this greeted our eyes when going back down the one lane road out of the club.

index.php

Yep - that's a dumptruck.  And some tracked earth moving equipment on a trailer.  Blocking the road and then some.  Seems like the works jackknifed trying to ascend the icy hill in the foreground.  Ooops.  The driver (center) does not look too happy.  :)

So, we decided to head back to the Chalet, along with all the other skiers trapped there (about 70 or so families) and wait it out while some club volunteers assessed the situation.  My boy and I had a deck of cards and we roped a bunch of other kids into a rousing game of crazy 8 countdown.  The game lasted 40 minutes, and no sooner than the winner was declared when we were given the all clear!  The club boys cleared the works with a ford tractor and some sand on the road.

It was quite the adventure but the best part was my boy (and the other kids), being used to being up at the club with no running water, heat, or indoor toilets, took it all in stride.  We were all ready to bunk out until morning.  :headbang:

Attachments

• IMG_3414.JPG
    IMG_3414.JPG
    625.7 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_3411.JPG
    IMG_3411.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 340
Ah, an adventure he can share with his buddies. Life is good that way. :glasses10:

Dude, looks like you have a bunch of snow up there already! We had 10 inches of snow in my town last week, and it was like the world came to an end! People who have lived here all their lives absolutely forgot how to drive. The main east to west route in Orange county looked like your ski club road, only with more "cars-in-a-ditch" than you could count. Glad to see you and yours were able to make the best of a less than ideal situation.  :icon_thumright:

Back