Wiring help needed for my double-neck video! (Super switch content.)

did you connect the humbucker link wires together?  You'll need to do that or you won't get any path to ground in the non-tapped setting.

Mayfly said:
did you connect the humbucker link wires together?  You'll need to do that or you won't get any path to ground in the non-tapped setting.

Yep. The 6-string humbucker is wired thusly: red and white twisted together, connected to grounded terminal #2. Black wire to hot terminal #1, then jumped to #2. Green and silver to ground.

The Aaron said:
Mayfly said:

Yep. The 6-string humbucker is wired thusly: red and white twisted together, connected to grounded terminal #2. Black wire to hot terminal #1, then jumped to #2. Green and silver to ground.

Hmmm yea that should work.  If you have a DMM you can check the operation of the switch in the various positions to ensure you've got connectivity when you expect it.

Mayfly said:
Hmmm yea that should work.  If you have a DMM you can check the operation of the switch in the various positions to ensure you've got connectivity when you expect it.

I do have a DMM, but I'm unsure how to use it this way.

Sorry guys....I can solder well enough, but wiring/electronics is not my forte. I need simple pictures and instructions, as if I were a child.  :binkybaby:

Perhaps also try the wiring on another pole of the switch as a possibility. Or is there any solder dripped onto the workings of the switch or a terminal bent. You should be able to see the blade of the switch make contact at the various positions when you select them.

You could move the bridge humbucker 1 and 2 black wires to 1 and 2 of the same pole as the 12 string neck as an option.

stratamania said:
Perhaps also try the wiring on another pole of the switch as a possibility. Or is there any solder dripped onto the workings of the switch or a terminal bent. You should be able to see the blade of the switch make contact at the various positions when you select them.

Check, check, and check. I've tried wiring it to the other poles. Same result every time. Position #1 is DOA.

I've looked carefully for some other issue...bent terminals, bad connections, etc. and can't find anything. I'm about ready to order a new switch.

stratamania said:

+1 on this - you have a whole other pole on there.  Try switching to that one.

aaaaaaand......

got some pics for us?  Nice high resolution closeups please.

Progress: it's 100% a bad switch. The blade is overshooting the contacts in the last spot - position 1. If I nudge the switch ever so gently back towards the center it makes contact with that first terminal and works as expected. If I let go it falls too far outside again and disconnects.

New switch is ordered...should be here Wednesday. Thanks again guys.

Cool - glad you found it.

BTW - what brand of switch is it?  Just so I know to never buy it :)

Honestly, it's one I've had kicking around forever. It's definitely not Fender. I don't think it's an Oaks Grigsby either. The "wafers" or "boards" (or whatever they are called) almost look wooden. I don't know what it is. Probably some junky thing I should have thrown away years ago. Once I remove it I'll take a pic and post it.

All is well then with the wiring itself so once the new switch arrives it should be good  :icon_thumright:

The culprit. Anybody know the brand?

New one is supposed to be here Wednesday.

Attachments

• 20210105_153523.jpg
    20210105_153523.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 20210105_153349.jpg
    20210105_153349.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 20210105_153506.jpg
    20210105_153506.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 150
swarfrat said:
That looks like what I remember from my 90's Ibanez RG.
Really? I'm pretty sure they used plastic boxed switches that melt if you hold the iron on the tag too long :dontknow:

New super switch arrived. Installed and working. I went with a Fender brand switch. Much more robust, and laid out in a more thoughtful way, for sure. Easier to wire it up, and the mounting screws don't run into the terminals when you install it.

Good to hear it all worked as expected.

I was thinking that you may have had a lucky break. If the other one had worked and then you were about to switch from the 12 string to the 6 string and the problem only appeared for the 1st time on the gig it would have been not good.

Back