Wiring help needed for my double-neck video! (Super switch content.)

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
I need help figuring out the wiring for the double neck I'm building in the newest Warmoth video. Here's the scenario: the upper neck is a 12-string, lower neck is 6-string. I don't want an extra switch to toggle between the necks, so I'm trying to rig a solution using a single 5-way blade switch. In order to accomplish this I am using three pickups, thusly:

6-string neck = one humbucker pickup in the bridge position
12-sting neck = two single-coil-sized humbuckers in the bridge and neck position

My initial thought was that I could simply wire the switch as if all three pickups were on a single guitar, but since two are over on the other neck, it would also function as a sort of auto neck switch. It works great....except for position two.

I want the switching to work like this:

1 - Bridge of 6-string, full humbucking
2 - Bridge of 6-string, tapped single coil --- NO OTHER PICKUPS
3 - Bridge of 12-string
4 - Neck and Bridge of 12-string
5 - Neck of 12-string

I can almost get there with a regular 5-way blade switch. The rub is in position two. A 5-way switch always wants to bring in that "middle pickup"...but in this case that "middle" pickup is actually the bridge pickup on the 12-string neck. For that reason I need it to stay out of the circuit, obviously.

For now I've jury-rigged a way to keep it out of the circuit by bending the second little contact on the 5-way switch so that it only touches the blade when the switch is in position three....certainly not ideal, but it works.

But that still leaves me with another other problem: in position two is there is no way I can figure to tap the humbucker in position two without once again introducing that bridge/12-string pickup back in. So I am left with positions 1 and 2 being the exact same: full humbucker of the six string.

Anybody have other ideas on how to accomplish what I'm after? Would a super switch make it possible?

Bonus points for a diagram.

I believe a super switch is what you are looking for, but let me check around to see if there are alternatives.

ok I worked it out.  You need 2 of the 4 poles of the super switch to get it to work, but it should be just fine.  Might be a simpler switch out there that would work as well, I'll check in the morning.

I have a rough sketch.  I'll pretty it up in the morning and attach it.

Here ya go.  No warranty expressed or implied.

Attachments

• Double A 1.jpg
    Double A 1.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 183
I agree at least two poles of a super switch are needed.

I am not sure on Mayfly's schematic where the commons are on both poles and how position 2 achieves the coil split for the humbucker.

I will see if I can do a pictorial diagram if it helps.

Mayfly's circuit diagram looks fine to me.
Assuming a 4-wire humbucker the coil split is actually two wires going to switch position 2.

Here is a pictorial version of the wiring.

I have used Seymour Duncan wire colours. I have also drawn the 12 string with humbuckers but if using single size humbuckers or single coils it is easily adapted.

Attachments

• AaronDoubleNeck.png
    AaronDoubleNeck.png
    794.3 KB · Views: 180
DaveT said:
Mayfly's circuit diagram looks fine to me.
Assuming a 4-wire humbucker the coil split is actually two wires going to switch position 2.

I would assume that is what was meant also. However bearing in mind I may be missing something I do not see how the red and white wires using Seymour Duncan colours are joined to achieve a series humbucker which coil splits to ground only in position 2. Or how this could be done with just two poles.

I added a pictorial diagram in my last post which uses three poles of the super switch to achieve the requested wiring.

The exact colour coding depends on the brand of pickup used.  If you're talking Seymour Duncan then red and yellow (stratamania says white - so sure!) wires are run to throw 2 of the top switch.

Mayfly said:
The exact colour coding depends on the brand of pickup used.  If you're talking Seymour Duncan then red and yellow wires are run to throw 2 of the top switch.

SD Humbuckers don't have yellow wires. The series link is red and white.

That diagram goes into my collection!  Hope the big AA doesn't mind if i grab it.

This is awesome you guys! Thanks...epecially for the picture diagram.

I already have a super switch and will try that first. If for some reason that wasn’t fit I will nab the Oak Grigsby. I will let you know how it goes.

Great, glad you like it. Take it as a thank you for the Floyd Rose NFT rout  :icon_thumright:

You will need a superswitch as 2 poles are needed for the positive connections and a 3rd pole to be able to shunt the series link of the 6 string bridge humbucker to ground to give you the coil split in position 2 only.

Later today I will post a variant of the the superswitch part of the diagram, that logically is the same but lays out the wiring on the poles a little different.

rick2 said:
That diagram goes into my collection!  Hope the big AA doesn't mind if i grab it.

If AA doesn't mind then go ahead it is good they get used or referenced.

In the main wiring diagram I posted above I had laid out some of the wiring on the poles of the superswitch for diagrammatic clarity.

However by rearranging the wiring on the different poles I think that this alternate pole wiring for selector switch attached to this post will help with neater wiring physically in the guitar.

This achieves the same result as the main diagram but provides a shorter hot jumper lead between the pole commons of the switch.

All other wiring is the same as the main diagram and omitted from this diagram for clarity.

I would run the ground wire from the selector switch to the volume pot first as it can be placed alongside the switch near the pickguard for cable management before doing the other wires to the switch.

It's all the same, only the poles will change
Everyday, it seems we're wirin' away
Another place where the solder is not so cold
I wire all night just to get that tone...

Attachments

• AaronDoubleNeckAlternateSwitch.png
    AaronDoubleNeckAlternateSwitch.png
    379.9 KB · Views: 169
I have to ask.. if this is for one song - how many positions do you use in the song? I don't know - not being smart aleck, but I'm guessing it's just two. You could run with the 'purpose built for one song' theme and just wire it on a 2-way on-on toggle. Or maybe a 3-way with no in betweens so your options are 12 string, 6-neck, 6-bridge.

And if you do go with a toggle, instead of labelling it "Rhythm/Lead" or "Bridge/Neck", you could label it "Bridge/Verse".

swarfrat said:
And if you do go with a toggle, instead of labelling it "Rhythm/Lead" or "Bridge/Neck", you could label it "Bridge/Verse".

ok that's funny  :)

swarfrat said:
I have to ask.. if this is for one song - how many positions do you use in the song? I don't know - not being smart aleck, but I'm guessing it's just two. You could run with the 'purpose built for one song' theme and just wire it on a 2-way on-on toggle. Or maybe a 3-way with no in betweens so your options are 12 string, 6-neck, 6-bridge.

That is hilarious. I could label them "Solo" and "Everything Else".

stratamania said:
In the main wiring diagram I posted above I had laid out some of the wiring on the poles of the superswitch for diagrammatic clarity.

However by rearranging the wiring on the different poles I think that this alternate pole wiring for selector switch attached to this post will help with neater wiring physically in the guitar.

This achieves the same result as the main diagram but provides a shorter hot jumper lead between the pole commons of the switch.

All other wiring is the same as the main diagram and omitted from this diagram for clarity.

I would run the ground wire from the selector switch to the volume pot first as it can be placed alongside the switch near the pickguard for cable management before doing the other wires to the switch.

It's all the same, only the poles will change
Everyday, it seems we're wirin' away
Another place where the solder is not so cold
I wire all night just to get that tone...

LOL.

I'm a cowboy
On the solder fumes I ride
And I'm wirin'.....dead or alive.

OK.....I think my Super Switch is defective.

I've have everything wired up correctly per your drawings. Everything works as it should....except there is absolutely no signal in position one. Dead. Position two is the 6-string humbucker tapped, as expected. If I disconnect the red/white wires from ground, then I get full humbucker in pos 2, and still nothing at all pos 1.

I've also tried moving position 1 to the other sets of terminals (moving ground and hot wires at required) and still cannot get any signal from pos 1.

Ideas?

Or am I correct in surmising I have a bad switch?

Back