Dog vs Guitar

ByteFrenzy said:
You should try a French Horn or an Oboe.Both of them freak ME out - I always think the player will die before the end of the piece.

I don't mind the oboe.
The guy I play guitar with has a daughter who majored in music/Oboe.
After college she had difficulty finding a job, so she joined the army.
I joke that she is in the Woodwinds Division.
(she is also the LAST person you could ever imagine driving a bayonet into someone.)

It's not that I mind the oboe, I actually like the instrument's sound. It's just that oboe players come across so terribly insecure, I'm always holding my own breath hoping the're going to make it to the end when they have a solo.

-VB- said:
TenThumbs said:
(Also the ever-present problem with rescue animals is not knowing what issues they've had in the past, he might be communicating some emotional baggage to you that he needs your help to resolve.)

That’s a fact. Our latest rescue pees if I so much as look at her cross. But she has no issue with my wife. Clearly some history. It has made training challenging for both of us....
I had to show ours that I wasn't a threat so she would not be fearful when corrected. What worked well for that was to show disappointment rather than try to correct as normal. Once they understand you won't abuse them, things get better. Also, a dog wants to be part of the pack so when you turn your back on them, they get the message that what they did wasn't good (don't prolong that and be sure to let them make up afterwards if they want to). Maybe one of those tricks will help. As TenThumbs said, you never know what they're been through.

My experience is that 50% praise, 45% ignoring and 5% correcting works out great. If I raise my voice they know I'm serious.

Back