Dog vs Guitar

Seamas

So last Thursday we adopted a dog--our family's first.
I grew up with plenty of dogs and cats and have always wanted one. My wife? not so much.
We have two kids (he:14, she:12). My daughter has been wanting a dog fore several years, and she had a REALLY good start to middle school, made honor roll and is thriving as a musician (tenor sax and clarinet) as well as an athlete.

So we did it. He is a GREAT dog. will be 4 years old in March (I had my mind on a younger dog, but he won me over). Doesn't bark, doesn't have a problem getting in the car, doesn't beg, shows almost zero signs of aggression, isn't destructive, is housebroken.

However he HATES guitar and clarinet and sax. Goes absolutely bonkers. It really sets him off. All that stuff about no barking or aggression goes out the window if I pick up the guitar and play--be it an acoustic or an unplugged electric.

He has zero issue with music. Doesn't seem to have a problem with a keyboard,  got more or less used to bongos pretty quick, doesn't mind wind chimes or bells.
I figure my best strategy is to get him used to it in bite-sized pieces. I keep a strat near his bed and will just casually pluck a string or two every now and then and hope he reacts more calmly.

Anyone else had to deal with this?
I mean I got a good acoustic, a slide, a front porch and now that I got the hound dog to go with it, he won't cooperate.

My cat just hits the road when I hit the OD! Other than that, he usually just sleeps through practice sessions. Maybe your new dog just needs to get used to it?

BigSteve22 said:
Maybe your new dog just needs to get used to it?

That's what I am hoping.

I have a bag of those small 3-calorie training treats, I am thinking of using them when I play. Otherwise he'll have to go outside.

My Golden used to roll tennis balls off my feet as I would play.  Her way of getting me to stop I suppose.  Anyway it was fun and distracting all at the same time.  :icon_biggrin:

One of our previous dogs would lie in front of the amp when I practiced. She loved it. When I quit, she'd get up and go elsewhere. The new one doesn't care one way or another. Maybe my playing is worse now... :laughing11:

A dog's range of hearing is much wider than ours - up into the range humans would consider "ultrasonic". He's probably hearing harmonics that are unusual in his experience, and doesn't know what to do about something he can hear but not see. Think dog whistles.

I imagine he'll get accustomed to it. I don't think I'd use treats - I can't imagine what association he might make. Most likely, that when you play guitar he gets treats for some unknown reason. Then when you don't want him around while you're playing, whaddaya gonna do?

Cagey said:
A dog's range of hearing is much wider than ours - up into the range humans would consider "ultrasonic". He's probably hearing harmonics that are unusual in his experience, and doesn't know what to do about something he can hear but not see. Think dog whistles.

I was thinking the same thing, but I think you might be able to fix it.  Can you put a brick-wall filter in your signal chain?  I'm thinking a 3db point at 10kHz would kill off anything that's bugging the dog but leave your tone alone.

Too... Obvious...

[youtube]https://youtu.be/NFa6c-eP8KM[/youtube]

You sure you're not trolling?  :laughing7:

Mayfly said:
Cagey said:

I was thinking the same thing, but I think you might be able to fix it.  Can you put a brick-wall filter in your signal chain?  I'm thinking a 3db point at 10kHz would kill off anything that's bugging the dog but leave your tone alone.

Just to clarify.
Doggie goes batty with just an unplugged guitar --or daughter playing a woodwind.
Amplifying the guitar doesn't increase or diminish his battiness.

Most of what he is reacting to is visual. If I am playing in a room behind a closed door, he can still hear me (for the most part) and will just wander away.
If my daughter is upstairs playing clarinet, he is pretty much fine (unless she hits a squaker)

He gets antsy when he sees me pick it up, hold it and start playing.

He is fine with the stereo, seems OK with an electric keyboard and after a little bit of work is OK with small drums. He is not bothered at all by bells or wind chimes.

Well, I think I cured him of his fear.

I used a couple tactics over the week, trying to slowly get him used to it, but the thing that worked?

Shouting "QUIET!" at him about twice as loud as he was barking.
He definitely sees me as the "pack leader" so I think at this time re realized that the boss was unhappy with his barking.
I didn't really want to resort to that, as I feared he'd think it was a shouting match--or an invitation to bark more.

He's so much better now. Seems mildly annoyed at my playing (everyone is a critic), but isn't barking at me.

Overall he is a very quiet dog, hardly barks at all.

Sounds like you've pretty much cracked it, but I'd just add this: dogs respond best to rewards for good behaviour, so if he's quiet when you play (even if you have to tell him to shut up), give him a treat; he's done what you asked, so thank him.

(Also the ever-present problem with rescue animals is not knowing what issues they've had in the past, he might be communicating some emotional baggage to you that he needs your help to resolve.)

My sister had a rescue dog that would go nuts if he saw any man with a hat.  Turns out that a man wore a hat abused him.  Eventually, he got over it.  Once the dog realizes he's safe the problem goes away.

The dog we just got was born in a cemetary. She's a bit wary of strangers but that's fading as she realizes they all are potential friends. They usually get over issues if you can show them there's nothing to be concerned about.

TenThumbs said:
Sounds like you've pretty much cracked it, but I'd just add this: dogs respond best to rewards for good behaviour, so if he's quiet when you play (even if you have to tell him to shut up), give him a treat; he's done what you asked, so thank him.

(Also the ever-present problem with rescue animals is not knowing what issues they've had in the past, he might be communicating some emotional baggage to you that he needs your help to resolve.)

yeah, he gets a treat and praise.

Now he doesn't even react at all when I play. Slightly unnerved when I plug in, but settles down well.

TenThumbs said:

That’s a fact. Our latest rescue pees if I so much as look at her cross. But she has no issue with my wife. Clearly some history. It has made training challenging for both of us....

So he is now fine with:
the guitar, electric (plugged and unplugged) and acoustic
The vacuum running (depending on who is using it for some reason)
Hammering nails (used to freak him out)

Still not cool with:
Saxophone
electric drill (goes BONKERS)
Circular saw

Comes running when one is getting ice from the icemaker on the fridge--because he gets an ice cube.

You should try a French Horn or an Oboe.Both of them freak ME out - I always think the player will die before the end of the piece.

Back