Silver highlighted grain?

EagleTree

I've seen some guitars on here with figured maple that takes on a silver hue, then with a burst color quickly graduating at the edge. What sort of product gets that silvery hue? I've not found any stains and dyes which seem that they'd produce this. I saw this on a blue and on a black burst finish here 5 or 6 months ago.

Sure. I'll dig through the search list later today, working right now. I tried last night but couldn't find what I was talking about. I'm now thinking earlier December or even November time frame since I think the big discount was on at that time. I'd bet Warmoth did the finishes I'm talking about, but it seems rude to order an unfinished body and then ask them how they achieved something quite talented, just so I can do learn it myself ;).

I'm betting it's something along the lines of a dyed top with one color, sanded back, and then dyed another.

-Michael

I'm now questioning my memory, I did another search realizing it could have been anytime from early summer to December. What I thought I saw was that the underlying stain or dye grayed such that the effect was rather like a chrome and no browns coming through after clear coat. Everything I came across still had highlights of brown or took the color of the finish dye.

Thanks for the responses. I'll punt and recommend a different finish.

Update: I spent some time pouring over various bursts and did find black burst that were close. The search doesn't appear to go back to last year when I noticed the two I was thinking of. What did see appears to be just black dye with clear coat and did have a slight brown hue as one would expect in the center. Thanks for you time.

Figured maple can take on a shine in the right light. The grain lines up just so, and it can look a bit irridescent and take on some depth to appear three-dimensional and reflective. Maybe that's what you saw?

Cagey said:
Figured maple can take on a shine in the right light. The grain lines up just so, and it can look a bit irridescent and take on some depth to appear three-dimensional and reflective. Maybe that's what you saw?
+1 :)

Back