Sick pickguards....

It's a sad day when people start choosing guitars for their maintenance cost and ease of replacement parts.  :icon_scratch: :(

I think rock'n'roll just died.

I doubt that anybody bases their buying decision on those things, but it's something to consider. Fiddles break/wear/need adjustment. Maintenance is a real thing. Pros hire guys whose entire job is nothing but that.

No. You should choose your guitar for playability and sound. Else you end up like some of those guys on the internet that constantly rambles about one should only use two point tremolo's and stainless steel frets.

Yeah, those guys will drive you nuts. Knowing perfectly well that there's vastly-overpriced and substantially inferior hardware out there that doesn't perform worth a tinker's damn, they'll still recommend stuff that works. As if that could make difference in the sound, feel or behavior of an instrument.

Bugs-Bunny-warner-brothers-animation-71641_800_600.jpg

It is to laugh. Ha. Ha.

I don't care for them either, but I can see where with the right backdrop it could be a real eye catcher on stage. Or not if it's too busy.

SustainerPlayer said:
Yeah ...

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=20343.msg300679#msg300679

See, now if you wore shirts like that you could get away with a sparkly Vegas pickguard!

:icon_scratch: .... I reckon they would make a great break down safety sign.

You know .... one of those ones you pull out of the boot when broken down.

All thou  :dontknow: 
..... that might just cause more accidents with how blinding it would be. 

Do any of you guys remember the 70's? Those pickguards would look right at home either with the Osmonds, or Bootsy Collins, or either Paul Stanley or Ace Freely of Kiss.

I'll admit I've got something like this on my toe nails but even I wouldn't do a pickguard with that much bling. Maybe on a Gibson copy ;)

SustainerPlayer said:
I really don't like pickguards at all.  :toothy11:

I don't care for pickguards, either. Only need them on top-routed guitars ... unless a pickguard is intended to cover the control cavity, it's useless.

Finishes are fragile, as is the wood. You don't need a pick to tear them up.

nelson_trigger.jpg

Although, it helps...

I guess I'm the first person to actually bite. Actually I was planning on getting this for this guitar long before this thread was posted.

SparklyTele-Web-Small.jpg

You can put a plain white pickguard on a candy apple red guitar; why not the other way round?

So now the guitar's finished. I'll do some outdoor shots and get it into the gallery.

See, now THATS what I'm talking about.  No Liberace factor, no highway breakdown sign, just cool and flashy.  :icon_thumright:

All my good guitars have those little divots. I don't really own any wall hangings - 18 kinds of exotic wood and still can't play the other part to "Smoke on the Water"..... ??? I know, I know, it takes all kinds. Would a bloodwood neck with a purpleheart fretboard be better than a purpleheart neck with a bloodwood fretboard?

StubHead said:
All my good guitars have those little divots. I don't really own any wall hangings - 18 kinds of exotic wood and still can't play the other part to "Smoke on the Water"..... ??? I know, I know, it takes all kinds. Would a bloodwood neck with a purpleheart fretboard be better than a purpleheart neck with a bloodwood fretboard?
Why do we park in driveways and drive on parkways...? :icon_scratch:

Outside of that joke I've never heard anyone use the term 'parkway'  I like the variant: Police stop at the police station, Firemen stop at the fire station, in front of me sits a work station.

We have some parkways around here. They're like a highway with a median that's much wider than normal and is somewhat landscaped. But there are other roads of similar design/construction that aren't referred to as parkways, so I don't know if there may be some other subtle difference that escapes me. Might have something to do with access. You can usually only get on/off the parkways at intersections, whereas on similar big roads, sometimes there will be turnout lanes for shopping centers or large businesses.

Back