some Derek Trucks...

hachikid

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N65cP52NC8s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N65cP52NC8s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I am blown away by this! I really didn't know about this side of Derek! I'd heard of him before through the "Studio Jams" show on BET Jazz, and I thought he was just a blues guitarist. for those who have or haven't seen this, I just wanted to share this. ^_^

what is "shreds"? and what is there not to get? I had him pegged as a typical blues guitarist (albeit, a very good one), and hearing this jazzy middle eastern world music stuff coming from him was absolutely amazing. I hear many different influences in that song, and it's just absolutely amazing that all this is coming from a guy from Jacksonville, FL. dare I say he's the new SRV or Hendrix?

also, check this out:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rqMz7NqKkXQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rqMz7NqKkXQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

He flies under the radar of most because he isn't heard on mainstream radio, but he is the real deal.  He has the respect of many industry vets and is considered THE premier slide player of this generation.  Imagine that, a great slide player coming out of the Allman Bros. Band.  Lightning does strike twice.

hachikid said:
what is "shreds"? and what is there not to get? I had him pegged as a typical blues guitarist (albeit, a very good one), and hearing this jazzy middle eastern world music stuff coming from him was absolutely amazing. I hear many different influences in that song, and it's just absolutely amazing that all this is coming from a guy from Jacksonville, FL. dare I say he's the new SRV or Hendrix?

check out some famous guitar players on youtube and follow there name with shreds. there stupid spoof videos, bad playing that aproximately follows the hand movements of guys like malmstien.

I believe that is Warren Haynes (Gov't Mule) playing the LP to his left (our right), another awesome rock-blues guitarist.

By the way, Derek Trucks wife, Susan Tedeschi can also play as well as belt out some tunes.  What a family.....

I didn't watch the posted vids, but I have seen Derek up close and personal a few times.  He does play very well.  Doesn't move around or do anything theatrical, but the sound he puts out, wow.......  FIngerpicks and slides.  I think he's way better than Dwayne ever was.  I've seen him with the Allmans and by himself.  He played last year here in my tiny little town for our labor day festival, all his own stuff, and the crowd around here didn't really appreciate him as they should have.  People kept yelling "Ramblin Man,"  which the Allmans don't even play anymore.  They tend to steer away from the Dickey Betts material, but I was blown away.  I just sat about half-way back and let Mr. Trucks entertain me.  He did.  Give him 25-30 years and people will regard him in the way people regard Clapton, Hendrix and Jimi Page!!!

And off of the subject a little, but how the hell did John Mayer get his own sig Fender?  Mayer isn't that good to deserve a sig fender, unless some Fender big wig's body was the wonderland that he was referring to!!

Derek is very good, but you have to remember, he's had the shoulder of giants... For originality and fire, Sonny Landreth is my fave/best slideshooter of modern times, and Debashish Bhattacharya is a killer too. I spend a lot of time writing on a computer, and I've become hopelessly addicted to two great streaming concert sites.

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/concerts/concerts.html?rpp=50&pg=2&srt=1

I would put Derek on my Top Ten list, but if you want to know why I'd rank Duane higher listen to the sugarmegs.org ABB concerts from 1971-09-16 and 1971-6-27, and the Wolfgang's Vault concerts from 1970-09-23 and 1971-01-29. ALL of these are better than the vaulted "Live at the Fillmore" album in terms of playing. When Dickie is on, Duane had to work harder....  :icon_biggrin: There's a fire, sense of abandon, even danger to Duane's best playing. I have all this downloaded to an iPod and if you listen to old and new Allman Brothers back to back, Derek and Warren sound very professional, calm, and... tame. Kinda like hippie musak (i is a proud hippie, BTW). There is a newish Allmans concert at the Beacon in 2007 on sugarmegs where Johnny Winter sits in, and both he and the band must've been saving up, cause they sound downright savage compared to the plodding they often take on these days. Guitarists didn't used to care if they hit wrong notes, on the way to the great ones.... Derek does do a couple of things fantastically well, he can build long intelligent solos and he swings. I have high hopes for the kid, I don't think he's anywhere near peaking.

Sugar megs has some killer Landreth concerts too, particularly 2007-11-09 and 2009-7-03. Wolfgang's Vault has some Mahavishnu Orchestra concerts from March and May 1973 that're like paint stripper for yer brain, man.... :toothy12:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oNFRWXDSA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9yXgjcqH2E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf2k7WpkIxQ&feature=related

You know you have a good point.  I have listened to some good old ABB stuff in my day, and you're right there is a fire there with Dickey and Duane that just isn't there with Derek and Warren.  I guess the only frame of reference I have live is Derek and Warren, and the first time I saw the ABB, Dickey was still playing with them, but I think that the last tour he was out with them.  It's been a while.....  But what really caught me is what you said about Derek and Warren is that they sound "professional."  They almost sound too rehearsed.  Good, but rehearsed, almost like they are driving a Corvette but afraid to put it into third gear......  I kind of feel the same way about Bobby Weir's post Grateful Dead projects.  I still will go to see them live, because frankly there still is nothing like a good old fashioned 'jam' band doing thier thing, but I think sometimes that they are purely doing it for the money and that it's just another gig in another city and there really is no fire anymore.  I don't know, I mean they all have been playing together now pushing 50 years.  Maybe these old bands really are like an old married couple?  Who knows,  but I'm gonna go listen to a good old Mountain Jam, you have me in a Macon, Georgia kind of mood!  I'm putting on a Liz Reed too for good measure!! 

You make a good point, BigBeard, about how they sound "rehearsed."  I would not necessarily agree with your assessment, but it's a valid approach to discussing what DT is up to.

I would say Derek Trucks is a student of the instrument, and has a more intellectual approach to it than a lot of gut-bucket bluesmen.  The qawwali stuff he does is from a particular school of devotional music from one of the Muslim traditions, and is some hairy stuff for a westerner to navigate.  So he is quite astonishingly good (I can't think of anyone with more dead-on intonation, for example), but I think what he's doing is susceptible to the criticism many level against the jazzbo cats:  it's kinda pointy-headed at times, and thus not as appealing to folks who want their music to move them below-the-waistline.  But at the same time, I think his music is also sort of prayerful, if that makes sense.  Check out some of the Derek Trucks Band's songs, and many are expressly uplifting in their intent, and often achieve that in their execution.

OK I get it now, I watched some of the other videos, the first one didn't sound right to me.

Anyway, the next SRV or Hendrix? No. That Title goes to Davy Knowles. Ive seen this kid 4 times , he's amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPlIIDsARPQ

Even ChickenFoot are big fans of Davy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZKG5iOz--I

I sincerely hope that no one wants to be the "next Hendrix or SRV". It used to be quite a point of pride among musicians to have developed their own sound, and I'm just barely old enough to remember the glory days of free-form FM radio, when it had been taken over by wild-ass hippie college students, Back then, you could recognize a guitarist within three or four notes - Hendrix,  Allman, Garcia, Beck, Page... when the corporates got a hold of things in the mid-70's it went weird. I remember hearing "Hotel California", Jefferson Starship and particularly the first Boston album, and thinking "uh-oh - Tom Scholz has got a Tone-O-Tronic here."

Nowadays there's an awful lot of sameness, and so many de rigueur "cool rock moves" - everybody and their dog play the "Eric Johnson lick" from the transition to "Cliffs of Dover", where you hold a note on the high E string as a pedal tone and alternate down the major chord tones. Derek Trucks is one of the few guitarists who do have a sound of their own, bless 'em. It's a short list - Julien Kasper, Oz Noy, Chris Poland (w/ OHM), Sonny Landreth, Trucks...? I can greatly admire the talent and melody-writing of people like John Petrucci, Andy Timmons, Paul Gilbert and all, but most of what they do sounds like - somebody else's licks. "Oh! There's a Metallica lick stuck in a Steve Morse song!" Etc.

I personally feel like there's something just broke or at least beat-to-death about all the borrowed song formats. There are some talented and very successful people who's entire careers are based on skilled regurgitation and recombination - John Mayer, Sheryl Crow, Counting Crows, Chickenfoot, Switchfoot, Nickelback, Foo Fighters, Coldplay hey - this list is longer than the originals! The point is you can hear where everything they do came from if you listened to a lot of music. John Mayer = 70's soul song formats + Hendrix/SRV guitar licks + Dave Matthews/Tiny Tim/Betty Boop vocals, for example.

You have to realize that if there is ever going to be a next big thing, it can't just be a rehash of one-of-the-last-big-things. "The new Hendrix" isn't NEW... I suspect (and hope!) that somewhere in Calcutta there's an Indian kid playing around with a pedal steel guitar and a sequencer, or some mad Chinese scientist locked in a dungeon with a pile of synthesizers.... Hey, here's a clue: name the five best rock songs that DON'T use the words:

"Baby"
"Hey"
"Yeah"
"Rock"
"Oooh"

Ooh, yeah baby, hey - you rock..... :toothy10:

(Hey, BB - I almost mentioned the post-Grateful "Dead" as another band who often plod, along with the newer Yes, Stones, Eagles, etc etc etc. "Oh goodie! - we get to play 'Sugar Magnolia' - again...." The (grateful) exception was the Phil Lesh & Friends lineup known as the Quintet, 2000 - 2003. It's the best I ever heard Warren Haynes play, often times he's just sort of there, you know. Something about the combination of Jimmy Herring and Haynes on guitars really clicked and they got way, way out of their comfort zone. The sign of a real jam band is when they play something every night that they've never played before, and will never play again - see the aforementioned 1973 Mahavishnu, the "You Don't Love Me" from the 1971 San Francisco show, the '72 - '74 "Dark Stars"... tear a hole in the wall of the universe and see what come creeping, oozing or blasting in. Yeah, baby. The Phil Lesh "Q" is amply represented on sugarmegs.org, there's also a Derek Trucks "box set" of instrumentals at the end of his band's listings.)

hachikid said:
I am blown away by this! I really didn't know about this side of Derek! I'd heard of him before through the "Studio Jams" show on BET Jazz, and I thought he was just a blues guitarist. for those who have or haven't seen this, I just wanted to share this. ^_^

Great music!

This Derek Trucks guy interests me.  I got turned onto Sonny Landreth on this forum and look forward to seeing him live some day.  I admit, I have not seen any of the various GD incarnations since that sad day in in August 1995 because I know I will just be let down.  Besides, Bobby songs were when you'd go take a pee, so whats the point?

Compare and contrast-

For those of you watching at home, here's the original Sahib Teri Bandi ,or rather, a performance by the original artist and composer, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, arguably the greatest qawwali singer ever:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obw_uThmtF4[/youtube]

I dunno about you, but I'd have a hell of a time trying to transcribe that for guitar.

And the one that started this conversation:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N65cP52NC8s[/youtube]

Nightclub Dwight said:
This Derek Trucks guy interests me.  I got turned onto Sonny Landreth on this forum and look forward to seeing him live some day.  I admit, I have not seen any of the various GD incarnations since that sad day in in August 1995 because I know I will just be let down.  Besides, Bobby songs were when you'd go take a pee, so whats the point?

Oh Geez,  You and I must be kindred spirits in some way.  I was never a Weir fan till about 1999, after seeing Phish and saying to myself, 'This is what I'm stuck with listening to live?"  So I started going to see post GD 'Dead' shows.

My wife, however, is a huge Weir fan.  Always was.  She was 15 when Jer left, and her parents wouldn't let her go see them in PGH the last time around, so she is drawn to Bobby in the way that most women are drawn to Bobby.  She has the tye-dyed shirt that reads, "Bobby spit on me!" It's one of her favorite shirts.  My favorite GD related apparel?  Of course that would be my 'Air Garcia' Shirt
air-garcia.jpg

Back