Sick pickguards....

tylereot

These guys are using 22 and 24kt gold in a laminate pickguard.  Loads of options.  I'm not affiliate, never seen 'em in person, but they look wicked on the internet!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EdkPbc8K_No" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

untitle.JPG

even in silver it'd be too 'glam.'

Some of that looks like a wealthy unicorn ate rainbows and glitter and then vomited on a pickguard, let it dry, microwaved it until it took on fractal cracks and then clear coated it.

Well, regardless of what they cost or how unbearably gaudy they are, you just know some guy's gonna think his boyfriend would love one for a Christmas or birthday gift.

LOL!!!  Should'a known not to suggest this on the curmudgeon forum!  Though Line6man's response should get points for ...um... something... Colorful invective, that's it!

ccd_02_THE_CURMUDGEON_completed_copy.jpg

I don't think it's a "curmudgeonly" membership issue as much as there just aren't any Liberace clones here.

Liberace.jpg

Show us your fabulous pickguards!

Cagey said:
I don't think it's a "curmudgeonly" membership issue as much as there just aren't any Liberace clones here.

Liberace.jpg

Show us your fabulous pickguards!

I became a Liberace fan when I saw this piano on the Gibson website, and decided that I NEEDED it to be fabulous.
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Pianos/Grand/Baldwin-Custom/Zebra.aspx

It did not come with a bench, however, so what I would like to know is whether or not this pickguard company will make me one with a glittery surface to sit on. Also, I am a very big fan of crotch rockets when I play my piano. Will the heat damage the pickguard material?

If they won't supply a proper seat, there's always Mr. Mackie's "IT"...

IT_%28South_Park%3B_The_Entity%29.jpeg

IT isn't a grand piano, but...

Too glam for my tastes, however if he used that technique sparsely with some sort of cosmic nebula/galaxy/solar system theme, it might work.
??? There was some artist who was renowned for creating similar paintings using this huge electric Tesla coil that gave him cancer in the process.

SustainerPlayer said:
I really don't like pickguards at all.  :toothy11:

They are something of a compromise. Kinda like putting plastic covers on your good furniture. Why pay extra for good furniture if you're going to do that? Makes it look and feel cheap and uncomfortable. May as well save your money.

On the other hand, if you don't use some kind of protection, then you can wreck a perfectly good finish in fairly short order.

So, it's a judgement call. Do you want to play with a good piece that looks like it hasn't been taken care of, or a piece that looks cheap (but maybe isn't) that's protected against wear?

I know I worry about it every waking hour of every day, except when I'm alone or with people.

Cagey said:
SustainerPlayer said:

On the other hand, if you don't use some kind of protection, then you can wreck a perfectly good finish in fairly short order.

But if you "protect" it with a pickguard, then the pickguard will be all scratched up and will still cover your beautiful guitar. I would rather have a scratched up, well played, well-loved guitar than a guitar with a ratty old pickgaurd staring at me.

Just my $0.02 (CDN) worth on the subject.

Peace,
Pierre

vox_rox said:
Cagey said:
SustainerPlayer said:

But if you "protect" it with a pickguard, then the pickguard will be all scratched up and will still cover your beautiful guitar. I would rather have a scratched up, well played, well-loved guitar than a guitar with a ratty old pickgaurd staring at me.

That's true. But, a replacement pickguard is $25, while a replacement finish can easily run over $300.

There's also something to be said for maintenance - pickguarded tops usually allow for easier replacement of pots/switches/pickups.

I have them both ways. Some of my guitars have carved tops, and I couldn't use a pickguard if I wanted to. Others allow for it easily, such as Strats. Doesn't stop me, either way. Whatever makes sense.

Back