Show us your pics!

pabloman said:
I had a Playstation and Gran Tourismo :headbang1:

Same here. GT2 changed my life. :laughing7:

And there was never anything cool in my home town. There was an arcade when I was a kid, but it closed before I was old enough to go. So no arcade, no go-karts, no paintball, no laser tag, no miniature golf, no batting cages, no nothing.

E.G. Jones said:
pabloman said:
I had a Playstation and Gran Tourismo :headbang1:

Same here. GT2 changed my life. :laughing7:

And there was never anything cool in my home town. There was an arcade when I was a kid, but it closed before I was old enough to go. So no arcade, no go-karts, no paintball, no laser tag, no miniature golf, no batting cages, no nothing.

Being a HUGE automobile enthusiast, I couldn't help but to LOVE the "GT" series.  I got a PS1 because of GT.  The first time I played it, I spent over 16 hours in front of the TV, breaking only for bathroom breaks and meals.  No, I am NOT kidding.

While after the 4th version or so (the last one for PS2), I guess it just becomes the same thing, but I wasn't about to go out and spend $500 on a PS3, as that's INSANELY expensive for ANY gaming system.

My wife wanted a Nintendo Wii, so I got her one, but personally, I wanted a PS3.  It was her birthday, so it wasn't my decision, but Wii is alright.  The only thing I don't like about it is that it's very geared towards "family" entertainment.  Personally, I like all the violent games like "Grand Theft Auto," "Hitman," etc.  They're not offered on Wii.

It's not as big a deal now as it was back when the PS3 came out, but you ended up with a Blue-Ray player as part of the deal, so the price wasn't as high as it seemed. A standalone player could run you $500 all by itself, while this was that plus a hellacious game machine as well. When you got tired of playing the games, you could watch one of the 5 or 6 Blue-Ray movies that were out. Of course, now there are almost a dozen Blue-Ray movies out, so...

Judging from My room mates giant stack of Blue-Rays. there are probably close to a thousand.

at least... of the Blue Ray's he owns.

Who the hell needs Caddyshack on blue-ray?

i've only ever watched pineapple express on blu-ray.  looked nice, not enormously better than dvd though.  perhaps if i had a ps3 i'd think about it.  streaming vids on netflix do fine with me.

I no longer own a TV.

Just the computer.

I KNOW it lacks blu-ray capabilities. and I'm okay with that.

AGWANANA-RAMA said:
I no longer own a TV.

Just the computer.

I KNOW it lacks blu-ray capabilities. and I'm okay with that.
And for £45 (probably around $70 ish ) you can get a drive bay blu ray player, But compared to £10 for a normal dvd rw , its flippin expensive,
Plus i would hate to update even the small dvd collection i have at uni with me, let alone the one me and my dad built up back at home.
Lottery win needed much  :laughing7:

AGWANANA-RAMA said:
Judging from My room mates giant stack of Blue-Rays. there are probably close to a thousand.

Well, that's a pretty good market penetration for that format then, right? I mean, there are probably a million movies out, so they've covered almost one tenth of one percent of them.

Or, it's a massive fail due to ridiculous, usurious pricing and a dearth of hi-def content to take advantage of it.

Someday, the MPAA and RIAA are going to wake up and realize their business model has been marginalized by technology, but I'm not going to hold my breath while waiting for it. Liable to suffocate.

He has every movie I want to watch.

Even a Lot of the Old ones... North By Northwest and Mr Hulot's Holiday.

I doubt there are millions of movies WORTH seeing. I imagine there are a few thousand. and I bet blu-ray covers a lot of them.

And with an average cost matching or exceeding a DVD by a few bucks... I don't really see a reason to harsh my friends who choose to buy them.

I imagine the sound difference between Mahogany and Korina is considerably less then the resolution difference between a Blu-Ray and a DVD. but if someone feels its worth the money. its their money and I hope it makes them happy.

I can't imagine there are millions of movies worth seeing, either. Hundreds, at best, depending on one's tolerance.

And I'm not "harshing" your friends, I'm making fun of the movie industry.

There is no resolution difference between DVD and Blue-Ray, it has to do with the file itself. Those two media are just recording mediums. But, because of the file size involved, Hi_Def videos generally won't fit on DVDs unless they're of very short duration. The DVD can only hold up to 8.5GB if it's a dual-layer, which is maybe good for a half hour of Hi-Def video.

SustainerPlayer said:
I rent my Blu-Rays in the local Blockbuster. All movies come on Blu-Ray.

That's like me saying "I get my beer out of my fridge. All beer is Canadian."

I told you a million times, don't exaggerate, and never speak in absolutes! <grin>

Fact is, Blockbuster has a pitifully small selection, and the percentage of movies available on Blue-Ray is much smaller than the total number of movies extant.

Incidentally, Blockbuster is closing stores by the hundreds, is in bankruptcy, and is very close to going out of business entirely. Wanna guess why?

Regardless, you may want to consider a subscription to Netflix.

Now netflix. THAT is neat. I won't buy DVD's or Blu-Ray or own a TV anymore...

but I do so love that Netflix.

SustainerPlayer said:
And just a little correction. It is spelled Blu-Ray ... not Blue-Ray. Don't know why it was necessary to shorten it by one "e". I'll leave that discussion up to you English/American speaking gents.  :toothy11:

Maybe Microsoft already trademarked the word "Blue", since it's part of their "Blue Screen of Death" feature, and Sony didn't want to get into yet another losing multi-million dollar infringement battle <grin>

Cagey said:
SustainerPlayer said:
And just a little correction. It is spelled Blu-Ray ... not Blue-Ray. Don't know why it was necessary to shorten it by one "e". I'll leave that discussion up to you English/American speaking gents.  :toothy11:

Maybe Microsoft already trademarked the word "Blue", since it's part of their "Blue Screen of Death" feature, and Sony didn't want to get into yet another losing multi-million dollar infringement battle <grin>

I'm pretty sure THAT would be IBM, Cagey...

ORCRiST said:
Cagey said:
SustainerPlayer said:

I'm pretty sure THAT would be IBM, Cagey...

Ah, yes. Silly me. I forgot about "Big Blue". They're patent hoarders from way back, too.

Speaking of hoarders, lemme ask you this: How many boards would the Mongols hoard if the Mongol hordes got bored?

BlueFirebird said:
Dang you Mongols, stop hording my board!

ab168a4848af6ef20e3d7bd33835_grande.jpg

Silly git! Not board! Wood! Tell him we want wood!

Back