Share Some Live Videos?

mullyman

This is a clip from a show we did a while back. It's an AC/DC medley. Please ignore my poor vocals. Last band I was in the singer and I could not get along. I have no aspirations of becoming a pro at this stuff so this time around I decided to cut the ego out of the band and just do the singing myself. Turned out fairly well actually as it seems the Japanese audiences prefer to hear native English rather than a Japanese person trying to sing in English....regardless of how bad I suck. Just to fill you in on a few things you'll see in this, when I'm introducing the band members during Back in Black there was no sound coming out of my guitar when they introduced me.....turns out I had kicked the cable out of my pedal board. When I stand back up I say, in Japanese (basically), "Wow, I look like a real dork". Also, Japanese crowds are very docile, the don't move around much and to someone that isn't accustomed to it you'd feel like they weren't enjoying themselves and it would ruin your set. It took me a long time to get used to that. Anyway, with no further ado.....

War Story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcQ_eCTdswY

Come on, guys, let's see some vids!!
MULLY
Sorry, I'm playing my Clapton Strat here.  :icon_scratch:

Here's one from my last gig with my ex-band (New Years 2012).  I'm the one in the white shirt/black hat playing (rather poorly in this song) the Warmoth Telecaster.  It's a bad cell phone vid, but you get the picture.

http://youtu.be/westXvizYUY

Here's another from my first ever gig as country musician. I answered a Craigslist ad in late September.  I'd been out of a band for about a year and thought it'd be a laugh to try out country music (came from a classic rock/blues background like many of us) we had 2 practices and Kenny (lead singer) had booked us a gig for a month later.  I woodshedded harder that gig than any time in my life; I had to learn 50 songs that I'd never heard, much less played before in less than 30 days.  I faked my way through most of it, but got 'er done. The bar owner loved us and it became a regular gig, every two weeks.

Anywho...  Here's the most un-country version of a Waylon song ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DWuneS_gDM

Edit to add: I'm playing the Warmoth Strat in this clip (the purple one in my avatar).

mullyman said:
Good stuff!! Left a comment on the video.
MULLY

Lol, I have no idea who recorded and posted that video, but it wasn't me or the band.  I found it while youtubing our old account.  I haven't played with them since New Year's 2012; that was our last gig together.  The drummer was playing with a torn rotator cuff, he had surgery to correct it shortly after and was out for 6 months while his shoulder healed. We went on extended hiatus, and when they got back together in June I didn't join back in. I had just gotten burned out on gigging (playing 2-3 nights a week for 2.5 years while going to school and working can do that to you).

mullyman said:
Oh, I subbed to the channel. If it's not yours I'm gonna unsub that.
MULLY

No worries, it was just taken by a some patron at the bar that night.  If you want to check out more videos, our youtube account was wildcounty86, but I think it's inactive, at least nothing has been added to it in over a year, so I wouldn't bother subscribing.

dudesweet157 said:
mullyman said:
Oh, I subbed to the channel. If it's not yours I'm gonna unsub that.
MULLY

No worries, it was just taken by a some patron at the bar that night.  If you want to check out more videos, our youtube account was wildcounty86, but I think it's inactive, at least nothing has been added to it in over a year, so I wouldn't bother subscribing.

Either way, I enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing.
MULLY

Here's one with my newest band.  This is my 2nd or 3rd gig with them, though I used to play in a country band with the guitar player.  I was nervous as hell, and mainly watching the guitar player, because believe it or not, there is a wrong way to play the blues.  It's more than the changes, trying to find the right "bounce" with the shuffle and seeing which direction the first turn around is going to go.  The kid on the Strat is from Eerie, PA and a guest as part of the show.  It's his YouTube channel too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXbWUeTrKqQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yup, there sure is a "wrong way" to play blues, an' that kid knows most of 'em...yikes...sorry, but 14 yr old guitar players DON'T 'have the blues'... :doh:

mullyman said:
Also, Japanese crowds are very docile, the don't move around much and to someone that isn't accustomed to it you'd feel like they weren't enjoying themselves and it would ruin your set. It took me a long time to get used to that.

I'm cursed with Droopy's "jumping up and down on the inside" thing too. I'm pretty much banned from front row seating because of it. I saw a band in college in a really small crowd, and I remember it was pretty obvious that it bugged the heck out of the singer/frontman. Maybe I was just born in the wrong place... nah, in Japan I'd be locked up already for nonconformism.

Great Ape said:
Yup, there sure is a "wrong way" to play blues, an' that kid knows most of 'em...yikes...sorry, but 14 yr old guitar players DON'T 'have the blues'... :doh:

Awww, come on, it wasn't that bad. I thought he did really good. He's a kid, cut him some slack. On top of that, I'm a rhythm player at best, I can't solo for shit. He did better than I could. hahaha!!!

Personally, I liked it. I'd also like to thank you for exposing me to a song I've never heard before that I will explore further. I'm guessing from the title it's a Kenny Wayne Shepherd tune? I've never really listened to him before, I will now.
MULLY
I surround myself with good players so I don't look as bad.  :hello2:

Well, it's blues.  I'd never heard it before I played it that day. It was very Back to Future; key of E watch me for the changes.

It's funny y'all are concentrating on the kid though.  My guitar player (the 2nd solo) thought his own phrasing was forced and tried to cram in too many styles.

The 15 year old was very nervous.  There were 2 kids there that were kind of forced on the other bands and some of the bands don't welcome it.  We played the first 2 songs without him, then got him up.  He wanted to get down after 2 songs but stayed at our insistence.  He was there with his dad, and both were very gracious and down to earth, unlike the other 15 year old blues phenom that was there.

Didn't mean to offend--it was just an observation/opinion. Didn't mean he couldn't PLAY.....
(...but I still say he wasn't playing blues...) :glasses10:

Great Ape said:
Didn't mean to offend--it was just an observation/opinion. Didn't mean he couldn't PLAY.....

I didn't take offense, just offered a little background.

The people that have a passion for it really have a passion for it.  There's no reason any 15 year old white kid from the suburbs should like the blues, if clichés are true, but they do.  It's definitely a story telling genre, but I disagree that the muse is being wronged by a woman, findind comfort in a needle or a bottle; poor life choices.  It's a craft like any other and takes practice to be good, more than just hurting.

Great Ape said:

Sorry, that first line in my post was said with a smile. I wasn't offended.
MULLY

Dudesweet, liked the vid. I know it was a country gig, but your purple Strat with black pickguard and white pickups and controls is still one of my all time faves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6h8sPgZHf8
And a bit of autobiographical social commentary--admittedly lip-synched...

Back