Seriously - how does ANYONE ever keep a band together

clearerphish

*sigh*
(vent warning)

I have been trying to get a six-piece band off the ground since August. We were finally hitting our stride, but our rhythm section had some issues with learning the *improved* structure/arrangement of the covers we were working on. The bass player was def. the weakest link, but I was trying to keep everyone on point until we cut a demo (studio time was scheduled for 3/8  :sad:). Today our keyboardist quit. he's a doctor and he's really good and he just got frustrated with our rhythm section. So even if I could find keys like his (he was the right age, had the perfect influences, plenty of chops, great gear, and the cash to keep it all together) I would just be bringing them into a toxic situation with our rhythm section. It really seems to be time to just dissolve the project.

I would seriously tear my hair out if I had any left. I have to vent here because I'm the only member of my band on this board (and if not, the rest of you guys effing SUCK), poured my own money into studio time, graphics, etc.

I just feel like there's a hole in my stomach, and I thought maybe my new guitar-board buddies could lend a shoulder to cry on.

(end vent)

*sigh*

No one knows the term "commitment" or "responsibility" anymore.

(To quote a liberal adage - "just do what you feel")

eeeap -

I've managed to keep the same band together for about 10 years.  It's always ALWAYS a struggle.  BTW, I'm the main songwriter, the person who bankrolled our two albums, and the guy who finds most of the gigs.  And there is always someone else in the band (different people at different times it seems) who feels it's too much work/effort for them.  For me this can be very frustrating.

The only thing for it is to cut the people who don't work (I've had to do this twice now) and to somehow keep everyone else interested and up for it.  There are a few things that will do this:

1 - the music you make.  We are a really good band and we all know it.
2 - the money you make.  We don' t make much, but we do make some.
3 - the projects on the horizon.  You've got to have exiting things for everyone to look forward to all the time.

If I were you, I'd fire the rhythm  section (the root of the problem), hire some pros to replace them on the short term (at least they will do what you tell them to do) and appeal to the keyboard player to come back once the changes have been made.

I know what you're going through.  I hate it when you are the only one who is really committed to a project. 

I find it difficult to even schedule with one other person.  I was jamming with my friend who plays piano, and he was always cancelling or showing up having not learned any of the songs we had talked about. 

One of my buds now is playing the drums, so I'm hoping she and I might be able to throw something together after a lot of practice. If that works out, I think we are just going to be a song writing duo and we'll use session people if we feel we need them.  I hope we have enough time between our schedules to really do that, because we work well together and we have very similar tastes, and she is not a flake. 

You might try going independent and just getting musicians to work with you.  Just use your name rather than a band name.  I know someone who does that, so her players change fairly often and she doesn't do shows more than once or twice a month, but she says it is a lot better than trying to share a creative vision with an entire band and the players are more likely to listen to what she says because they are playing her music.  If she has a problem with someone she just fires them. 

Superlizard said:

No insult, but do you do anything except complain about righty guitars, bitch about liberals, and act like a douchebag?

dbw said:
Superlizard said:

No insult, but do you do anything except complain about righty guitars, bitch about liberals, and act like a douchebag?

hahahaha "no insult" - - classic.  :icon_thumright:

We had a band once called "Shattered Illusion."  Once I left (to finish med school), the drummer left.  They replaced us with another guitarist and a drummer.  The drummer and guitarist no-showed at their first gig after that.  I talked to the singer later.  He said the next time, he was going to name the band "Togetherness." 

It is what it is.  Keep moving on until you find the right peeps and the right chemistry.  My $0.02.

dbw said:
Superlizard said:

Well, sometimes I post stuff just to push your buttons... and as we can all see, you're easy (no insult).  :toothy10:

However, I really do believe that liberal mentality (just do what you feel) plays a big part in this as well as other (more serious) concepts such as marriage, family, career, etc... .

It takes commitment to keep a band together; each is responsible for their part... that means sometimes not doing what you feel, but doing what you should be doing.  Doing whatever you feel like doing will get you nothing in return - just as being a wishy-washy, waffling limp-d!ck twit instead of being serious about your band will get you nothing as well.  Might as well just sit at home and lounge in your chair with your guitar and noodle aimlessly... instead of wasting the time and effort of those band members who are serious about what they're doing.

Superlizard said:
However, I really do believe that liberal mentality (just do what you feel) plays a big part in this as well as other (more serious) concepts such as marriage, family, career, etc... .
you talk about personal responsibility but everything is the liberals fault?  pot, kettle...    Easier to watch Fox News than to read a book about who is really ruining it all?    (just for the record.... i'm not a liberal... or conservative...  just an American patriot frustrated with misdirected sectarianism.)

"liberal mentality (just do what you feel)"

I really wish I could just do as I feel. :icon_scratch:

Neil Stryker X said:
Superlizard said:
you talk about personal responsibility but everything is the liberals fault?   pot, kettle...    Easier to watch Fox News than to read a book about who is really ruining it all?     (just for the record.... i'm not a liberal... or conservative...  just an American patriot frustrated with misdirected sectarianism.)

I don't watch Fox News... (and I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh).  I don't even own a TV (and haven't since the early 90's)... I consider that a good thing.  :icon_biggrin:

Even if I was a Fox News/Rush-head, that still wouldn't detract from what I said about that particular brand of mentality.

Superlizard said:
dbw said:
Superlizard said:

Well, sometimes I post stuff just to push your buttons... and as we can all see, you're easy (no insult).  :toothy10:
Fair enough  :laughing7:

I have two words for anyone who thinks liberals are the irresponsible ones:  Bristol Palin

dbw said:
Superlizard said:
dbw said:
Superlizard said:

I have two words for anyone who thinks liberals are the irresponsible ones:  Bristol Palin

Truth!  :evil4:

dbw said:

Actually, utilizing logic with your argument - if she was being irresponsible, she would've had an abortion.

(e.g.  no baby, no responsibility to deal with)

EDIT:  Her situation is a perfect example of someone screwing up, but taking responsibility for their screw-up.  Many people don't have the balls to do so.

I think we need a new category on Unofficial Warmoth:  Topics Taken over by righty Superlizard and lefties DBW and Godrex! 

It IS hard to keep a band together.  I have no real advice right now, since I happen to be between bands due to a large number of people here in NC who move away.  I'm 36 with two kids and a "wife" who works opposite hours from me.  Try finding two or three other people who you can mesh with, and still fit your very tight schedule.  Ain't easy, but at least I'm not lounging at home being a limp-dick nit-wit lefty, I'm out there trying!  I get a lot of "Hey, we should get together and jam"  To which I usually reply "Here is my number, I'll be waiting for your call".........................................................................................wait, wait call them, back myself "Oh, I've just been real busy"  Me: "OK, when is good for you"  them:  "I'll give ya a call"  And so on.  I just can't wait until my younger son gets serious about playing drums, we are going to rule!

dbw said:
Superlizard said:
dbw said:
Superlizard said:

Bristol Palin's mom is conservative.  Does that mean she is too?  I've never heard her talk about politics.  I know many people who are not the same political affiliation as their parents.  You are assuming. 

Superlizard said:
dbw said:

Actually, utilizing logic with your argument - if she was being irresponsible, she would've had an abortion.

(e.g.  no baby, no responsibility to deal with)

EDIT:  Her situation is a perfect example of someone screwing up, but taking responsibility for their screw-up.  Many people don't have the balls to do so.

You honestly think that the daughter of the right wing, anti abortion, vice presidential candidate, had any say at all what she wanted to do with her baby?   

There's no way McCain's people would ever have let her have an abortion if she really wanted to.    Even fox news can't spin that sort of hypocrisy.

Give it a couple years.  The truth will come out.

(gotta love the fact this thread has devolved in a liberal/conservative thread, and that it was started by a member with a reference to the liberal jam band Phish in his name.) :)

I agree with Bristol when she says that abstinence for all teens is unrealistic. I had sex ed in school and I never got anyone pregnant and was always careful. I had all the information I needed.

Reminds me of this:

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=184097

taez555 said:
(gotta love the fact this thread has devolved in a liberal/conservative thread, and that it was started by a member with a reference to the liberal jam band Phish in his name.) :)

You know, it's bad enough having my rant thread taken over by politics, and then, someone comes here and calls Phish a liberal jam-band. I have been a Phish fan for 15 years, and I have never once read an article from them stating their political affiliation. Some of you might do well to learn from them.

Back