Seriously - how does ANYONE ever keep a band together

This argument is harshing my mellow.  Let's live and let live.

(Incidentally this sort of crap is why I wanted to ban politics on the board)

I doubt I am too, I'm trying to be funny about it, but you know.. so sorry all, next round is on me.  :eek:ccasion14:

clearerphish said:
Yet another point: Rush Limbaugh had to go to rehab for a raging Oxycontin addiction. Liberal!

Not really a fan of Rush, but I will say something in his defense: He was prescribed Oxy-crack by his doctor after back surgery and he got addicted to it because it is one of the most habit-forming drugs of all time... not really the same as actively becoming a drug addict because you decided to snort coke at a party. 

I don't know why they still prescribe that stuff because it is so addictive.  I think I would request a different pain killer if my doctor suggested it. 

Other things about Limbaugh that people don't know:  People still to this day make fun of him for being fat, but he hasn't been fat for at least 10 years when he dieted and lost over 100 pounds.  He is also legally disabled because he is deaf, but he had experimental surgery and regained some of his hearing. 

Why do I know this stuff?  My grandpa listens to him every day, so I hear aalllll about it whether I care or not. 

My friends have a band, and they're quite good at what they do (except the singer, I don't really get on with him) one day When we were all over at one of the bandmates house (I wasn't in the band at the time) we all just started to jam because we were all there. At the end of the day the band ended up having 8 members instead of the four they started with.

I think to keep a band together though, you just have to make a commitment to be there every practice or jam session (and for those who actually,gig go to the gigs) and not to get distracted by other things if possible and make the time to just play.

"Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot!"......I know - there's a book that says so  :laughing7:

As for keeping band together: Like a marriage...one has to communicate, have a sense of humour, and high degree of tolerance  :glasses10:

clearerphish said:
Volitions Advocate said:
especially if your wife is in the band.

I can't even fathom being willing to try that.

Auditions...really suck.

Yea - romantic involvement in the band is, well, really scary.  But then again, people do it. 

Volitions Advocate said:
...especially if your wife is in the band.

In my experience it does NOT work  - both situations hastened the demise of the band 
eusa_naughty.gif

I guess I'm lucky.  My wife is one of the vocalists in our band.  I think its nice to have something we're both passionate about to work on together. 

So, Clearerphish, I take it that auditions didn't go well?

Vol. Knob said:
So, Clearerphish, I take it that auditions didn't go well?

So far they've been a complete and utter waste of time. I have hopes for this week's auditions. I made having tracks of your playing a prerequisite to weed out the n00bs and I think it's working.

I remember having a really bad tooth once and the Dentist prescribing vicodin.  I threw it in the trash.  Rush Limbaugh is the worst form of hippocrate.  He want's to portray himself as being better and more intelligent than the rest of the world, and he is still just as weak as anyone.  It's never the doctors fault, it's never the dentist's fault, it's never the liquor's store owner's fault, it's never your drug dealers fault it's all up to you.

busted once I'll give you the benifit of doubt....just how many time's has he been caught now?  if he played guitar for the Rolling Stones would it be the Dr's fault?

as for keeping a band together.  you are always better off with the original parts.  once one of the original members are gone it's easier for everyone else to want to change parts, or at least the new guy is low man in the pecking order.

having said that.....the best music I was ever a part of was this band I put together with this friend of mine.  We both played shows together in other bands and became friends and fans of each others bands.  His band broke up and my band had a bunch of personell changes so we started a new band from the ground up.  I still consider him a good friend but....once we were working together things changed.

In a strange way, think that the tension within the band was part of what made it good, but it also tore the band apart after a while. 

groopthink is bad... you need new ideas to grow.  If there is never a fight it would be really dull music i.m.o.

a common goal is what will keep a band motivated and together.....at least that's my opinion.

I'm late to this, so I'll just address the original post.

Music is easy and bands suck.  In other words, making music has usually been the easiest part and dealing with people is the hardest.  I'm most convinced that alcohol has been the biggest hinderance in every band I've been a part of.  It's the large elephant in the room nobody wants to talk about.

In the last two years I've played with three bands and still currently gig with two of them.  The one I no longer play with had a guy in it that frankly could not play guitar or sing and yet grew a ginormous ego once we started gigging.  On our demo, he didn't even play guitar.  I did, and I'm the bass player.  Initially this was a do nothing, go nowhere band that was just for fun.  It was the afforementioned person's vision and dream, but still had the feel of a team effort.  When that was gone, so was I.

One of the current bands I play with is a straight-up country band.  It bares the lead singer's name, he is the singer/songwriter, it is his vision, the band myspace (other than our names as members) says nothing about the other members.  I'm basically a hired gun, which is fine because I knew that going in.  But, it get's old very fast.  It's not fun making other people's dreams happen for them.

The last band, and the other band I currently play with, is the most ecclectic musically.  I think it's because nothing is taboo.  We write together and sound okay together.  It's the most vocal of any I've been in, as far as letting noone assume anything.  Everything is just laid on the table.  We do disagree but rarely argue.  We compromise on songs we're not in love with to make others happy, and they do in return.

Now, to the original poster, is it possible the band does not share your vision?  I found this out real quick, just because you've found people at the respective instruments doesn't mean you will jive musically or have the same priorities.  The drummer in the country band I play with, we've never jived, and we're the rhythm section.  The first and third bands, I've gelled great with those drummers.  Lastly, with your rhythm section, if they ain't cutting it, they never will.  If you're fine with that, there's your answer.    

Clearerphish, my friend, don't loose hope.  Sometimes it just takes a while.  With few exceptions, we've had to slog through audition after audition when we've had to get a new bandmate. 

On one occaision we brought a guy in without doing any other auditions because he was an ex-bandmate of our bassist.  That was a mistake, obviously since he's the drummer we fired. 

I sifted through 50 responses to our ads, weeding out ones whose style, genre, personality, schedule, and religion* didn't mesh with ours.  (*while not a "church band", we are the official/unofficial rock band for a Unitarian church, on several occaisions this has caused confusion and/or led to me/us being told we were heathens who were going to burn in hell.).

Then of the 5 out of 50 that fit well enough to audition, only 4 of them could actually play. 

One was a professional drummer who never understood what I meant with comments like "we practice once per week", "we don't expect to make much money", "most of our shows tend to be charity fund raisers". Etc.  But he loved us and wants to be our on-call in case of emergency.  He was very very good, but didn't listen to the mp3s I sent and missed a few important changes. 

One who came out to  audution was fantastic, he fit in almost every way, but he joined another band.  He also hadn't listened to the mp3s I emailed and missed spots.   

One had a degree in music, but hadn't sat behind a kit in years.  And guess what he hadn't listened to either...

We ultimately went with the one who actually listened to the mp3s I emailed him, took notes on the changes, practiced the material, and honestly played the best (not too showoffy, in the pocked, Bonhamesque disregard for drum-head integrity).
Fortunately he's also a good peronality fit.

Not to prattle on about my own band expierience, but I want you to know that sometimes you gotta dig to find that diamond.  Put out multiple ads in different places.  Heck, our new drummer answered a I posted for "female drummer wanted" when our keyboardist vocalist wondered aloud about an apparent lack of female musicians out there.  Our new drummer didn't respond to any of the other ads (he used to be a she), so I'm glad I posted it .

Keep slogging away, Clearerphish, you'll find your bass plucker when the time is right. 

All those VH-1 shows that have "The most this or that of all time" or a "Where are they now," they all end with "....the band broke up due to in-fighting and substance abuse problems."  U2 is the only band that I can think of that has all original members, never stopped recording, never broke up, and never stopped touring.  Motley Crue and Aerosmith have the original members, but toured and did albums with replacement members.

:headbang1:

GREAT NEWS!

So yesterday, I was texting our drummer about the two bass auditions I had scheduled for last night and he

wait for it

QUIT THE BAND VIA TEXT MESSAGE  :cool01: :rock-on: :headbang1:

...and I'm spent.

Back