Seriously - how does ANYONE ever keep a band together

I'm a liberal jam-band.

No wait...

So to the topic I don't know how anyone keeps a band together, I've been booted from a band or two, and left a band or two. (Apparently being a perfectionist to the point of making people rerecord 20 times is annoying) But I will say when things were going well, those were the best times of my life.. I need to get another band going.. HEY MARKO!

Only bands that support(ed) Bush will stay together. If you voted for Obama your band will breakup. It's that simple. :laughing7:

clearerphish said:
taez555 said:
(gotta love the fact this thread has devolved in a liberal/conservative thread, and that it was started by a member with a reference to the liberal jam band Phish in his name.) :)

You know, it's bad enough having my rant thread taken over by politics, and then, someone comes here and calls Phish a liberal jam-band. I have been a Phish fan for 15 years, and I have never once read an article from them stating their political affiliation. Some of you might do well to learn from them.

As a devoted phish fan myself, I must appologize for that, as you are completely correct.  They've always been a very quiet band when it came to things like politics, or even their drug use for that matter.      Hell, they rarely even talk during their shows.

Just shut up and play music. :)

Dudes, why don't y'all run off and start a liberal vs. conservative thread and let this one get back to the original topic. Jeez. 
Nobody for President in 2012.  U.S. OUT OF NORTH AMERICA, NOW!!!

Back to the topic...  As I feel the original poster's pain, and have been through it several different ways, and am fighting to keep from going through it agian.

I know how badly it sucks losing a band right when it starts to get good. 

My current band, 7 Mysteries (http://www.7mysteries.com) has been struggling for two of the three years we've been around.  Our first lineup began as friends from a local Unitarian Universalist church that we all attend (we're also the official/unofficial rock band of the church and it's our home base). 

:sad1: We lost our original bassist to illness (we still consider her a member).  Our current bassist is fantastic, but he's not as tall and hot as Lisa. 

:confused4: Then our original drummer took a job in Seattle, too far to commute back to Kansas City for practice.  We consider him technically a member still too, and frequently text him during practice, begging him to return. 

:-\ Our Rhythm guitarist left when his daughters said they missed having him around.  But still ran our website and came out to our shows to help run sound and take pics.

:doh: Our second rhythm guitarist impressed us in auditions since he played some jazz pretty well.  Unfortunatley he couldnt translate it to a style that would work with "Rock this Town", "I want you to want me", "Love Shack" or "the Time Warp" at all.  So we fired him. 

:hello2: Fortunately our original Rhythm Guitarist's daughters missed NOT having their dad around, and they missed coming to see his band play, so they begged him to rejoin.   

:icon_scratch: Our second drummer ended up not quite understanding that we're all "Parents with Day Jobs" when he kept arguing that we needed to practice on weeknights (uhh.... schoolnights?!?!?) so he could lay around on saturdays and watch TV after a hard week at his desk job, so we canned him. 
Currently we're drummerless, however we're in the midst of auditions.  We have two coming over this weeked, by Sunday we'll have invited one of them to join.  One is a Pagan/Wiccan truck driver.  The other is a Transgendered dude (former girl).  And so far the Transgendered dude is in the lead.  He seriously plays with some ferocity and groove.

My former bands that kicked ass but imploded....

...Four years ago I was in a Blues-Based-Countrified-Jazz-Rock band (Yes, that means "jamband", but I don't like that label) that rehearsed twice a week for two years, played sporaticly due to the fact that blues clubs wouldnt book us (we didnt ever play the blues per se) and rock clubs didnt book us (we don't do Nickelback, and there is a prjudice against bands who play even one Grateful Dead song), but right as we started to get the attention of some clubs for just how good we were, three out of five members nearly die in the same week.  Our Drummer and Bassist were twins, when one's thyroid freaked out and shut down, so did the others.  And our Guitarist/Vocalist, a 350 pound redneck hippie, had heart problems that caught up with him.  We were damn good too.  Our rhythm section, being twins, had a freakishly amazing connection and could hold it in the pocket like nobody's business.  The charismatic frontman, whose large personality was matched by his girth, could rip it up on a strat like nobody's business and could write interesting songs full of hooks.  That band should have turned a profit. 

...In 2003 I was in a band called The Enablers (now The Hopeless Destroyers, they still gig around KC) with a drummer on a methadone program, a schizophrenic alcoholic guitarist, and an alcoholic with diabetes on vocals.  Our keyboardist was a kid with jazz chops who wanted to see if he could play in a punk band for the challenge, and he was awesome.  I have no drug, alcohol or mental problems, I just like the music, the two songwriters in the band were, are, the real deal and should be making records and going on tour.  They're that good, the entire world is missing out.  But, yes, it was a disaster waiting to happen while I was in the band.  For a breif three months we were the greatest punk band on the planet.  If you blinked, you missed us.  I quit on April fools day, 2003, when our vocalist drank himself into a coma after a show.  He's healthy, and dry, now.  And they still kick ass.

...In the '90s I was in a band that was an all instrumental freakshow, two bassists, congas, drums, percusionist, Myself on guitar, and a "noise" guitarist who could not play to save his life (we put every spare effect pedal in his signal path and turned them on, then we turned his amp down to where you could hear everyone over him, his sound was like a warbling, waving, tapestry of unusal noise that he then learned to work with, granted he still couldnt really play, but it worked).  We started to garner some local attention, as we'd throw our own guerilla music festivals at a park by getting permit for a "family reunion" so we could use a stage and electricity. But, the aforementioned "noise" guitarist got in the habit of inviting new members to join.  We found ourselves with around 13 members before it got completely out of control and it imploded.  Though, that last practice was pretty cool, two saxaphones, two drum kits going at once, diggerdedoo, etc.  It didnt explode completely, it actually split off into three bands at that point.  Though I could have played in this band, as a 7 peice, forever and not get bored.  It was every weird instrumental thing I ever wanted.  Oh well.

...The band I ended up in after that explosion was an alterna-rock thing.  We had female vocals and keys.  But our drummer drove off our second guitarist and bassist.  Then we were a three peice, drums, myself, and a keyboardist/vocalist.  But then the drummer drove her off.  He was mean.  He was selfish.  He liked to suck powders up his nose.  That's something to avoid.  Drummers with drug problems are never a good thing.

My advice....  What has worked for me... is to own the PA.  Keep a drum set and bass rig, in your home.  Its what I do.  It keeps everyone coming to my place to practice.  Its a democracy, but I have a greater sense of being in control.  And it takes very little time to set up if all anyone brings is their guitars, or keyboard.  My drummers have always brought their own throne, as milk crates are more comfortable than the throne that came with my Musicians Friend "Pulse" drum set, it works just fine, but it was cheap.

It also helps to have a dozen originals written, totally arranged and plotted out.  To have a good overal plan of what the band is.  To have a good three or four dozen cover tunes learned backwards-forwards-inside-and-out and be able to play them on the gutiar, bass and at least keep the beat on the drums for all of them (originals too).  Seriously, if you appear to be in command, you will have it as you bring members in.  The faster you get a band from zero-to-setlist, the happier everyone seems.

And no drugs or drunkenness at band practice.  I won't impune anyone for their habits, I'm dry and clean, but I havent always been.  And a clean dry band practice is a productive band practice.

And don't bring any known jerks into the band.  Take your time in the begining.

I could keep typing...  but my lunch break is over....

...and I too am a longtime Phish fan.  The first time I saw them was in '93, without knowing who or what they were, a friend knew I was a music snob and bought me a ticket. 

They did exactly what they needed to do to get my attention, they played instrumental for over 30 minutes.  It was a half hour before anyone sang.  I've seen them every time they came through Kansas City until the hiatus of 2000.  Great band, especially in the mid '90s.  I hope they do marathon practices before their shows on their summer tour, they stopped having band practices in '97 and IMHO it shows.  Sure, Trey and the boys can clean my clock on a bad day with one hand tied behind their backs, but they were unbeleivable in '95 for a reason.  I would hate for them to come back and get KO'd like Tyson's last fight.

Jeez, Vol. Knob, that's ridiculous.

Keys guy is gone. It's a shame, but he also had the attitude of a keys guy too (I.E.: I play an instrument that's IN DEMAND! I don't need to start with a band and work to get ready to play, I need an existing band that's ready to go that I can just fill out their sound). Then when he gets that band he'll quit it too because then he won't have any input on song selection, etc.

Bass dude was fired. I should have done it earlier, but I don't even know if that would have kept keys guy around - hard to tell if the rhythm section was the only issue or just the one that got the blame. Either way, bass guy had to go, we weren't progressing fast enough and at some points I had to call the changes to him ahead opf time while I was playing. I'm not here to give lessions. he was always complaining about not being able to find tabs for the covers we would select...you got ears, don't you?

So right now it's me, drums, sax and trumpet. trying to snag a bass player before everyone loses interest and bails, but if that happens, well, I'm not on this earth to chase folks. The right situation will come around, and when it does, I'll be happy all these near-misses didn't work out, but damn, I just want to go out and play, you know?

As for Phish, man, don't get me started. Saw my first show in 94 and was hooked. Was at Big Cypress. I drove over 2000 miles to coventry and trashed a rental van while we were stuck in the mud there. What a mess. I have tickeyts to the asheville show. I sure hope they practice like they have something to prove this time...because they do.

clearerphish, can you play bass?  Ever heard of the band Morphine?  Sax, vocals, bass and drums.  And very very interesting to listen to.  You can find a bassist, I have faith in you.  Give the lads a pep talk, load up Craigslist and Backpage.com with ads (seriously, I posted 5 differently worded ads in each one) and give it time.  And if you have studio time booked, so you won't have keys, not ideal, but oh well, work with what you have.  No bass?  you play bass!  NEVER SURRENDER!!!!!    ...sorry...  too much coffee....

or...  In 1989 I got sick of trying to put a band together.  I'd have a drummer, but no bassist.  Or a vocalist and no drummer...  etc...  So I sold my car and bought a drum machine, bass and 4 track cassette recorder.  Hey, it was a cheap car, but I had a band, and I was all the members! 

I don't recomend doing this unless you live on a bus line.  And cassettes kinda suck compared to today's technology.

Vol. Knob said:
clearerphish, can you play bass?  Ever heard of the band Morphine?  Sax, vocals, bass and drums.  And very very interesting to listen to.  You can find a bassist, I have faith in you.  Give the lads a pep talk, load up Craigslist and Backpage.com with ads (seriously, I posted 5 differently worded ads in each one) and give it time.  And if you have studio time booked, so you won't have keys, not ideal, but oh well, work with what you have.  No bass?  you play bass!  NEVER SURRENDER!!!!!    ...sorry...  too much coffee....

eh, the studio was to record a quick demo to get gigs. In this economy, there are a lot of independent R&B focused studios here offering time for a song - we had a deal worked out with this studio for 100 bucks a month, unlimited recording, as long as it was pre-scheduled. I could play bass (and may even ask for one if I win the W raffle) but we were just doing a demo, so I'd rather hire a bass before hitting the studio. I've also got a digital multitrack that will record 6 track simultaneous, so I could cut the demo by myself if necessary (I'm a damn decent engineer).

Definitely know about Morphine (RIP Sandman). No surrender here, just needed to vent. Thanks for all the kind words.

I have to say i'm finally where I like being.

Its taken the better part of 10 years but I'm finally IN a band that I like and enjoy.  And I say IN because i'm not the guy shoving it forward.

after several incarnations, the one just previous to this one was me and buddy playing guitar, with a good friend singing, and I recruited 2 other friends (guitar/bass)  in their own band to play drums and bass respectively.

the drummer at the time was on meth and drank a bottle of everclear at least once a week.  Not so good for the cohesive band.  And the bass player was good, but mostly only played punk and didn't write anything, he just played what we wrote for him and told him to play.  Owned 2 basses, broke the E on one of them (over 3 years ago) and just left it to rot, never changed the strings. 

So after about 2 shows... I left the country for awhile and the band kind of dissolved.  And then in the interrim (just short of 2 years. guitarist, and singer get married,  Then I ask them to help me play for some stuff at my own wedding, and we're kind of back on track minus a bass and drummer.  So we recruit the drummer from my wifes band (whom i also play with) and try to figure out what to do for a bassist, since in this area there are no good bassists around that aren't already playing with somebody.

In the meantime my wife is working on a deal to go play in singapore for 6 months, but we need an audition tape. so we get my friend, the previous drummer, to come play bass for us in THAT (my wifes) band for the singapore gig, resigned to the fact that if we get the gig, my rock band with my friends will have to wait another 6 months.

a week before the singapore audition night, the singer in my rock band dies from his diabetes suddenly, and bass player friend decides theres more to life than music and he doesn't want to try to do it for a living, so he quits last minute, and basically hands off his bass to another one of my friends (who i was THINKING of asking to play bass in my rock band because he is a cellist and loves music) and he picks up the entire set in 4 days and plays with us good enough to get by in that show.  BUUUT we're way more expensive than a phillipino band so we werent hired.  So new bass player in my wifes band buys his own bass and starts playing with my rock band.  Turns out he's an incredibly fast learner and he is really enjoying it.  But we take a 2 month break to deal with Sterling's death and try to regroup and come up with a plan.

so now we have my wifes band which shares guitar(me) bass, and drums with my rock band. which is currently headless b/c we dont have a singer.

So while we're playing gigs and opening for the big acts that come to town wiht my wifes band we start the process of auditioning for a vocalist.

we had 6 people over the course of 3 1/2 to 4 months, and it came down to 2 people.  A girl who married one of my good friends, and a guy our other guitarist played in a metal band with while I had left the country.  The guy was great if we were playing something like metallica, but I didn't really like it that much, and neither did our bassist.  And I really liked what my female friend could do with her voice, and how punchy she could be despite being a girl.  but our other guitar player was wary simply because she was a girl.

Well metalhead guy finally decided to call it quits because we couldn't make up our mind... so we chose the girl.  And its been going freaking great.
us 2 guitar players have roughly $15K each worth of gear and same with our drummer.  We're real enthusiasts and have never really played with anybody who cares about their gear the same way we do.  But our new bass player went out and spent $3K on an SWR/Harke 8x10 rig, a 2nd bass, a multieffects unit, and a pickup for his cello, and our new singer just spent another $3K on a fancy microphone and a Crown/Mackie/JBL PA rig.  Then our Dummer goes out and buys a computer, Cubase and a Lightpipe preamp, along with about a dozen microphones, putting himself a few more grand in debt, and now we have a recording studio.

Just tonight, me and the bass player put up the 2 walls for the vocal booth we are building in our rehearsal space, we were there for about 5 hours framing.

I have finally found a band that cares as much as I do.  And it's fantastic.

Not to say there aren't hiccups along the way.  My wife for instance isn't too keen on the fact that we have a female singer.  And her and I have gotten in fights about it.  But its mostly resolved, and at least theres no more arguments about it.  But just stick with it and find the right people.  You have to be willing to compromise and make sure you want it to be the BAND and not you at the head of a band.  People may just find their way to you looking for the same kind of group.

*jealous*

I played an open mic last night and for the first time in an open mic siituation I owned the whole night. No one was anywhere near me. It seems my skills are finally coming together. I've decided to stop stressing, if it's meant to be, the right players will come along. If it's not meant to be, I'll be led to the right players in what *is* meant to be. All I can do is work on my chops and keep plugging away. You guys have helped me destress about this sitch - 'preciate ya!

Oh, and it doesn't hurt my attitude anyt hat I have two bass players lined up for auditions on monday - one's fresh off the boat from Brazil with a handmade 5 string and an SWR/Hartke rig. I'm kinda excited to hear him play.

clearerphish said:

*jealous*

I played an open mic last night and for the first time in an open mic siituation I owned the whole night. No one was anywhere near me. It seems my skills are finally coming together. I've decided to stop stressing, if it's meant to be, the right players will come along. If it's not meant to be, I'll be led to the right players in what *is* meant to be. All I can do is work on my chops and keep plugging away. You guys have helped me destress about this sitch - 'preciate ya!

You know what?  There's a lot you can do in a solo-duo situation.  My singer and I have a duo on the side and it can be very very refreshing.  You can really build tension with extreme use of dynamics.  Quiet is the new Loud.

Perhaps not surprisingly, I've found it very difficult to work with druggies, alkys and lazy-asses (don't want to practice; don't want to show up on time) in my experiences.  Also not surprisingly (and to continue my point), these kind were always liberal-minded.

While not a blueprint nor guarantee, you're more often than not going to find that those who are conservative-minded will be the responsible and punctual ones in a band as opposed to the liberal-minded.  Yes, it (the mindset) truly does have that much of an effect.

Nowadays, I'm either doing it all myself (with my DAW), or I'm being a guest player for some random gig, or my good buddy & I collaborate and pick and choose other people for projects.  So yeah, homie don't play with libbies anymore due my experiences with them.

Superlizard said:
Perhaps not surprisingly, I've found it very difficult to work with druggies, alkys and lazy-asses (don't want to practice; don't want to show up on time) in my experiences.  Also not surprisingly (and to continue my point), these kind were always liberal-minded.

While not a blueprint nor guarantee, you're more often than not going to find that those who are conservative-minded will be the responsible and punctual ones in a band as opposed to the liberal-minded.  Yes, it (the mindset) truly does have that much of an effect.

Nowadays, I'm either doing it all myself (with my DAW), or I'm being a guest player for some random gig, or my good buddy & I collaborate and pick and choose other people for projects.  So yeah, homie don't play with libbies anymore due my experiences with them.

I'm as liberal as they come and I am the driving force in any band I am a part of. You paint with an awfully wide brush there, buddy. I have found plenty of liberals and conservatives that are stand up responsible people who show up and work on music, and likewise I have found plenty on both ends of the spectrum that were good for nothing. Someone's political leanings are just that, not personality traits, and you're doing yourself and others around you a disservice by confusing the two.

Hmm... it's a pretty broad generalization to be sure, but I think SL is correct overall:  Liberals are more likely to get stoned and sleep through practice than conservatives.  :icon_tongue:  It's just how we roll!

clearerphish said:
Someone's political leanings are just that, not personality traits...

That's not correct.

One's political leanings are a direct extension of their personal values, among other things.

People also tend to vote for the candidate who best espouses their own morals/lack thereof

If politics was just politics, you yourself wouldn't have commented.

If politics was just politics, we wouldn't have sites like the DU (democratic underground) with all the arguing and ranting.

And like I said, not a blueprint.  Sure there's some lefties out there who actually take what they're doing seriously.  Myself, I have yet to actually know one, as my own experiences tell me otherwise.  And even if I did finally know one, we'd have to borg them to our side anyways.   :toothy10:

Superlizard said:

Another point: Michael Phelps has eight gold medals. Eight. Lazy, good for nothing druggie!

Yet another point: Rush Limbaugh had to go to rehab for a raging Oxycontin addiction. Liberal!

I've met my share of crispy tune-in, turn-on, droop-out wookies, but they're not liberal, they're bums. I also know people that handle whatever their favorite form of rexcreation is in a responsible, adult manner. I've never noticed a correlation to political leanings.

clearerphish said:
Superlizard said:

Another point: Michael Phelps has eight gold medals. Eight.

I've met my share of crispy tune-in, turn-on, droop-out wookies, but they're not liberal, they're bums. I also know people that handle whatever their favorite form of rexcreation is in a responsible, adult manner. I've never noticed a correlation to political leanings.

Hey I poked smot (did shrooms a few times too) and drank bigger quantities of alky-hol as well back then, but I was responsible about it, and I didn't let it rule my life.  And I've always been for the most part conservative-minded.

It's also safe to say most people have poked smot at least one time or another... and alcohol?  ........

So it's not the fact that you've done it, but how you handled it/handle it.

Back