Running Effects at 18v DC

whitebison66

I've been trying to read up on powering effects pedals. I have a Dunlop DC Brick that has 7 9v outputs and several 18v outputs.

It would be nice to have the extra options that 3 more jacks would provide.

Some things I read say that you can run distortion pedals at 18v safely, but I want to ask people here if that's a good idea. I don't think it is, but I don't know.

Specifically, I would run a Vox Big Ben OD and an Ibanez TS-7 Tube Screamer (Tone Lok series) at 18v if its okay.

As always, thanks in advance,

Sean

It's a good idea if you want more headroom from your pedals but not all pedals have the same specifications. You should email the companies and ask if these specific pedals will handle more than 9V.

they'll probably say no if you ask the manufacturer. and I don't think you'll get more headroom the gain ratio has nothing to do with the source voltage unless the signal approaches the source but the clipping diodes keep it down to a volt or so, the way the clipping works does allow for more voltage in the signal but only if the signal is over the clipping voltage on the input. you may get better fidelity but the opamps used in overdrive pedals are very low fi to begin with (tube screamer types anyway, this also covers most boss and many boutique pedals) but even if you have a super overdrive from boss with the burr brown opamp it is over filtered and has a narrow response anyway.

the main component is the opamp and it'll tolerate 30+ volts. but I'm not sure about the buffers or the bypass circuit. I do believe the ts7 will work on 18 volts but can't assure you it wont burn something up.

I don't know anything about the other pedal myself though.

I also don't know if it will improve the sound. there is just a lot of aspects to the tube screamer that effectively suck tone. (which I guess people like) its not a very transparent pedal but its mid heavy nature keeps from being muddy or icepicky so it's good for soloing.

My Fulltone Fulldrive 2 says to run it on anything from 9 to 18 volts, and I've tried some more powerful, 16 and 15 volt converters, but I haven't heard much different. Certain effects take a lot of power or at least they're less error-prone with some headroom, the loopers and long delays seem to run into power shortages. If you hit the Salvation Army and/or similar places, sometimes they'll have a whole box of power supplies, phone chargers, laptop, gamer supplies and all for a buck a piece. Just buy 'em all.

Just look at the capacitors used inside the pedal, don't exceed the voltage limit and you're usually safe.

Distortion, overdrive and fuzz pedals actually sound better with lower voltage, the sagging effect makes them breath more. My OCD pedals are running 18volts and I like them that way more, but I use them for mild crunch tones and not full on overdrive.

Modulation effects like chorus, flanger, etc usually sound better with higher voltages.

I have a Fulltone GT500 that I can run at 18V but I don't, it feels harder, not as forgiving.  Less sag like DbU said.

Back