Roasted necks?

I don't have any issues with changes in temperature with Warmoth Pro necks, and we swing pretty far season to season out here. My old single truss ones don't fare as well.

Think I'd like to see something concrete before thinking too much on those baked necks. Such as what the actual moisture content is, it's my understanding that when over-dried maple can become more brittle even if the neck is stable and consistent in various temperatues. Then of course there's a question as to what it actually does for sound (which I predict will be greatly exaggerated, whatever it may be, though on paper you'd expect a little less dampening of the neck's resonance).

jay4321 said:
which I predict will be greatly exaggerated, whatever it may be, though on paper you'd expect a little less dampening of the neck's resonance

Damping!

Damping/dampening is my new term to be OCD about. :blob7:

GivEn that these are all tools to be used by musicians to play music, it seems to me thaT the roasting process would be better applied to the musician's BRAINS ratTHer thaN to... the... wait, whayt's this about? What foruM is this anyway? STOP STARING ART ME, MRTHFRICKNERSH!!!! nnn....nnnn...nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

The Brown necks are vulacanized not just baked. The process is alot more involved than people seem to think.

Superlizard said:
D000000000d, like, I prefer broasted because like, the roast goes deeper, man.

Also, it's less fattening. I mean, if you eat your neck. And who doesn't?

stubhead said:
GivEn that these are all tools to be used by musicians to play music, it seems to me thaT the roasting process would be better applied to the musician's BRAINS ratTHer thaN to... the... wait, whayt's this about? What foruM is this anyway? STOP STARING ART ME, MRTHFRICKNERSH!!!! nnn....nnnn...nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Are you high? You seem high.

CouchSpud said:
stubhead said:

Shhh, we don't want BigBeard to find out that Stubby stole his stash. :icon_jokercolor:

line6man said:
CouchSpud said:
stubhead said:

Shhh, we don't want BigBeard to find out that Stubby stole his stash. :icon_jokercolor:

stubhead - look at the lights and tell me what you see.  Do you see the rainbows?  :eek:

To the best of my knowledge ALL billets used to make guitar/bass necks are going to be kiln-dried. Referring to this as "roasted" while technically correct, is simply sales/marketing bullshit. See related/relevant Dilbert cartoon below:

mayfly said:
line6man said:
CouchSpud said:
stubhead said:

stubhead - look at the lights and tell me what you see.  Do you see the rainbows?  :eek:

OMG! It's a double rainbow! It's too much! Tell me what it means! OMG! It's so intense!

BTW, vulcanization is a chemical process.  It's aided by heat, but it also uses chemicals such as sulfur, peroxide, urethane crosslinkers, and other chemicals.  When rubber is vulcanized, the molecular structure of the stuff is dramatically changed.

This process is a far cry form baking.

So, either -

1 - the neck is chemically treated, along with heat, to make the molecular structure different (and hopefully better)

or

2 - it's a groovy finish and tricky ass marketing.

I'm up for #2.

Here's a little video all about tricky-ass marketing and it's effects:

http://www.illwillpress.com/sml.html

Umm.....The vulcanization of rubber is a chemical process that does require the addition of chemicals to change the molecular structure. Nice Googling. But we are referring to wood guitar necks not tires. Specifically maple. The maple is heated/treated in an oxygen free oven. That color is not a finish. The Chocolate brown necks are actually that color throughout. The lighter colored tops and such might be done differently since they are not nearly as dark. I don't know about those. I do know about the necks that are called vulcanized.

jackthehack said:
To the best of my knowledge ALL billets used to make guitar/bass necks are going to be kiln-dried. Referring to this as "roasted" while technically correct, is simply sales/marketing bullshite. See related/relevant Dilbert cartoon below:

This is more in line with what I'm thinking about this 'roasting' claim.

I was of the understanding that wood had to be dried to within a certain moisture content percentage, any dryer it can't be worked as it may be too brittle. And this was the 'art' behind making a great guitar or an average one. Now if on top of that process they then 'roast' the wood, I am assuming that it would further dry the wood but somehow make it workable?

I suspect this process will be argued about for years to come, if it is indeed a new way of treating wood.

hmm,

My parker neck is baked in an oven, but with some strange kind of carbon fibre composite (probably more marketing drible) it aparently seals it to the wood and makes it super strong, can't say i know to much about the manufactureing processes of wood, but it sounds kind of dodgy, im not sure how putting wood in an oven is going to make it stronger. Unless you coat it with some unholy material...

Of course, this drifts back to the "what makes music sound good?" question, as always. Clearly, (thnx Cage!) the reason that the music of the 60's and 70's sounded so awful was that they hadn't been blessed with brass nuts, Super Overdrive pickups and Floyd Rose's... the reason the 80's music sounded so bad was because  they hadn't built up their big 12U rack units, and only had single rectifiers... the reason 90's music sounded so bad was because it wasn't yet being recorded on computers in home studios with monstrous MIDI'd pedalboards. And now, just when it's safe to say that our music sounds better than anything else ever made, we find ourselves wimpunk'd by our pathetic un-roasted necks. I might as well just hide under my bed for thirty more years, nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, until the manufacturers really get it together... :sad1:

I "wood"* be happy to try one out, just as one of these years I really will get a Modulus graphite neck, but in the meantime I think I'll learn some new songs, make a new slide, practice with the pathetic garbage I already own. This roasting process seems like it wood* result in a rigid honeycomb-like structure, which wood either work or not, depending on whether you did it so that it worked - or knot*. Wood itself has only been used because it was cheap, it was there, and then we got used to what it sounded like and then decided that was "best." I wonder what happen when you press on the headstock to make a whammy noise....  :eek:

*(HAAA HAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.... ha. ha.)

pabloman said:
Umm.....The vulcanization of rubber is a chemical process that does require the addition of chemicals to change the molecular structure. Nice Googling. But we are referring to wood guitar necks not tires. Specifically maple. The maple is heated/treated in an oxygen free oven. That color is not a finish. The Chocolate brown necks are actually that color throughout. The lighter colored tops and such might be done differently since they are not nearly as dark. I don't know about those. I do know about the necks that are called vulcanized.

I submit that unless these necks are made using a vulcanization process, they are not vulcanized.  Ergo, it's marketing trickery.

Taylor at least calls it what it is, and explains in detail why it's done.  Here's a link to an article as to why he bakes his tops:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2010/Jul/Drying_Spruce_Nature_or_Nuture.aspx

Now that does not sound like marketing - sounds like a novel solution to an interesting problem.

Yours,
Mayfly

I don't know,......The people that use it and actually do it refer to it as vulcanization. Since are not exactly familiar with what they are doing we are just speculating. I do know that the treatment of the acoustic guitar tops is alot different than what is done to the chocolate brown guitar necks. I'm not sure that the process is so absolutely necessary for necks. I live in Colorado so we tend to make a ton of adjustments but nothing so horrible to reinvent the wheel. I would definately be interested in help for acoustic guitars though. Tops split in 2 days with no humidifier and many a good guitar gets turned into a turd with a 14 fret hump. I guess this process doesn't work on mahagony though.

Back