Refinishing a damaged Koa / Mahogany Soloist with Tru-Oil (by a beginner)

Okaaay.

The irony here being that my accent is about as far from London as you can get. I'm the equivalent of a cattle farmer (that's the local economy) so I guess a Texan or some kind of Midwest accent would be your equivalent (although I think we sound more Southern, like South Carolina or something).

Anyway an update if I may, all sides now sanded to 240 ready to start tru oil grain filling. Haven't cleaned the body down as want to keep as much powder in the pores as possible.

I've reworked the tremelo cover to make stronger and will start looking into the veneers after work today.

I think it's gonna be a few months to complete this as there's no not a booming market for the necks over the here right now and it's too pricey to buy new (customs and shipping adds over 200 dollars). Plus people are bored at home so not selling much guitar stuff.

Thks works well with tru oil as it is a slow process and this time will give the body plenty of time too dry / cure

stratamania said:
Rgand said:
Bob’s your uncle – The saying originally meant you could get anything or do anything if you had the right connections because it came about after the 20th British Prime Minister, Lord Salisbury, famously appointed a nephew into an important political post for which he didn’t have the relevant experience. Today it is more commonly used to say everything is OK. To "Uncle Bob it" may refer to being able to accomplish a daunting task.

In this case although a reasonable guess it is not referring to Bobs your Uncle but rather Uncle Bob, is a job.
Cool, thanks.

Let the tru oil grain filling commence.

320 grit paper, 1 coat.

Swarf / slurry was fairly light as body soaked up a lot of the oil.

Despite this many of the longer thinner grains (and some larger) filled immediately.

Lots of grain, pock marks and some dots still visibile but nowhere near filled yet.

Method was to sand with the 320, I tried to still sand with grain, by the time I'd reached the other end of guitar I wiped as much excess off (across grain) with coffee filter paper as possible.

Attachments

• 20200512_115234.jpg
    20200512_115234.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20200512_122616.jpg
    20200512_122616.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
That really does look good. All that picking so you can start pickin' with it again paid off. :icon_thumright:

Did another partial run on the top and also the sides and back too.

Amazing how the colours change, and also how much chatoyance the back has (cheers Aaron).

I'm amazed how quickly the pores / grain has filled. I waited until dry this morning to comment but from 2/3 slurry coats some deeper areas (probably 1mm) are almost entirely level.

When putting on it doesn't feel like the slurry is actually holding much swarf, and when you wipe the water excess it is t super obvious either but now come this morning and its set its really clear. The back in particular feels crazy rough, like a 40 grit sandpaper (of course that's just the swarf stuck to the body).

Of course you can still make out some of the darker holes I've made (that were originally there) and there's still some very small light white specs, although they are getting darker with each coat.

I've taken to view these as the "salt and pepper", it's an extreme form of customisation not for the the faint hearted. It can only be achieved through the an insane level of work which includes finishing their guitar entirely (with 2 types of grain filler), paint, lacquer etc, shipping it around the world twice, totally removing all finish by hand and then making the pepper with a tiny craft knife. You can dont even get that level of effort on a custom shop ;)  but seriously, coverage is good and they'll be unnoticeable on them final stages I'm sure, and if not they're a part of a story of this rifle.

As for veneers, a little testing with just 1 light coat shows the colour matching up already, confident that by the time we have 10 or so they'll work just fine.

Attachments

• 20200512_191626.jpg
    20200512_191626.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • 20200512_183333.jpg
    20200512_183333.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20200512_183534.jpg
    20200512_183534.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
Hey fellas,

So I haven't updated in a while, definitely not because I haven't been working on this thing, more that I've been doing things, changing my mind, trying new things etc. and tbh I just wanted to go on a journey of discovery and sus things out on my own.

While there's a little bit online bout the use of tru-oil, I've actually found that the techniques that I've learned through experimentation are probably more useful than the guidance.

For sealer and filler there's almost nothing online, so that is a blank canvas. And experiment I certainly have!

So let's take a step back, after the previous updates I was happy to move forward. I started applying thin tru-oil coats with a view of it being the final finish. I used coffee filter paper and it was going on beautifully. The plan was to build up the coats and use the slurry method to fill pores and grain. I was so psyched at the colour, the chatoyance, the overall effect is / was breathtaking. But it wasn't filling thgaps as I'd hoped, I knew it was going to take 4-5 coats, sand back, and again and again. I could see this taking a hundred coats due to the depth of the pores and pocks I'd made. Still I was committed, so glad I did this....but you know what...I can still see clusters of white dots....

nRIwmqk.jpg

So after 5-6 layers, sand back, more layers, sand back, I slept on it, and I decided in for a penny, in for a pound. Time to get the acetone and sandpaper out. Back to square one.

8h13PlF.jpg

I took off what I could with acetone and sanded back to 220 with the paper. For some reason I wanted one last crack at sanding these out. Maybe they were filler. An hour later. Nope, the white specks are natural for sure, because now there are more as I open up more grain. Oh FFS!!!

9RBv73M.jpg

Why is drunk Darren such a hindrance to logical and sensible Darren, now he'll have to sort this out.

So armed with now a range of different craft knives I went to work. This time not just looking for the larger white, but all the white.

VvsPZ5i.jpg

The body after I was finished was full of holes, but there was no obvious white specks now. I was somewhat content, if not a bit horrified at how much work I had left to do. I guess time to give the Birchwood Casey Filler and Sealer a chance to do what it claims.

Now this stuff doesn't really have a lot of usage guidance or anecdotal tutorials online so I went a bit OTT with my record keeping and documentation. So if you don't like detail, probably best to move to another thread, but for posterity and for the future reference of "filling grain and pores in a guitar with Birchwood Caset Filler and Sealer" (that's for the Google SEO) here is a decent workthrough including mistakes and techniques qhich I actually think worked well.

So the bottle looks like Tru-Oil and online people refer to this as cut tru-oil, thicker tru-oil or other tru-oil like comparisons. I'm not sure what these people are smoking, or what is up with their noses but the bottle is where the similarities end. This is, if I was a betting man, clear nail varnish. It has the same viscosity, it smells the same, it does the same job and it sands the same. So If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, you may be able to pick nail varnish up cheaper.

The bottle says to use generously, so my first few tries I did exactly that. I poured directly onto the body, and used coffee filter papers to smother over and left to dry. The bottle says takes 1 hour. I found 8-10 was probably more like it.

Coat One

vbSfb1F.jpg

zHx3du0.jpg

Coat Two

iUVdGAR.jpg

K1hsVcn.jpg

Once dried I'd use 220 to sand back. If properly cured it will sand, if not it will bind and fill the paper. You know very quickly if it's cured, don't bother trying to sand when gummy, it'll pull the fill straight out of the pores.

Sand Back

gv1vDO0.jpg

Um1Fjrl.jpg

After the first few coats I was kind of amazed, many of the large long 10cm / 1mm valleys of dry wood grain were no longer visible at all. This doesn't just fill the pores. It hides them entirely. Many of the smaller pock marks were filled too.

You can see it at work as when you sand back, the areas filled look like they have small glass dots / marks, the wood obviously looks white and sanded. Between each phase I'd go over with a cloth and a tiny bit of acetone just to see what I was dealing with (and smooth the top layer of sealer) each time.

Coat Three

HBp1t0X.jpg

bBXbgaQ.jpg

Coat Four

tDm0UE4.jpg

kZ50Ems.jpg

Sand Back

EvsjUbl.jpg

M5itpfY.jpg

Thinner Coat Six

Lwvqs8x.jpg

9DNlmpc.jpg

Thinner Coat Seven

OzNXH1e.jpg

XzbegwU.jpg

And Eight

LC3zP4q.jpg

ugsyE8n.jpg

I repeated this over and over, filling and applying thick, but it started feeling like diminishing returns. The shallow pores and grain were now filled, all I was left with were the deep pores. It seemed very wasteful to cover the guitar entirely each time just to build another 30 microns on these areas and so I changed tactics. Not to say I wasn't impressed though, you could clearly see how well filled it was, even on the bottom centre where the most pores / pocks were.

NQdi6x6.jpg

With a cocktail stick I drop filled the filler into the pores I could see. I went OTT, very generously applying and tbh this was a good move. After a few hours you'd see the dot and you'd see the area where the pore was had dropped as it had filled the hole.

eE3F8Gn.jpg

YZVm8W9.jpg

I attempted to sand back using a normal technique after 24 hours of drying. This didn't work so well and I was worried about digging in elsewhere.

Tug6jCc.jpg

Then I had a sudden brainwave. All those years of watching Dan on stewmac came to focus and adopted the strip method Dan uses to sand back filled dings. This made light work of the areas by simply putting my thumb over the dollop, and using the strip sanding it down.

MDuuFZm.jpg

w88rRbE.jpg

After I was done a quick overall body sand and inspection. Spotted a few more holes, and a few more specks and proceeded to drop fill these areas.

This is where I am right now. The body is 99% flat and clear now, it's amazing. Just sorting out a few tiny additional specks I found. It's like glass and all those pocks and grain lines are almost entirely invisible. Not just filled, but vanished. I did not expect it to work this well but needless to say I have ordered another bottle of this stuff. 2 days with using the sealer / filler properly has saved me I think probably 50 of repetitive Tru-oil slurry sanding / filling.

7amQ38G.jpg

Coming right along. Your attention to detail is really going to produce a fine finish. I love the color of that top. Once you're done, it will be spectacular.

Well done, I don't know how many times I have mentioned "Birchwood Casey Sealer and Filler" on this forum and good to see it being put to good use.

Its not nail varnish, if anything it reminds me more of cellulose dope that I used to use on model aircraft and also fishing rod whippings to fill the threads prior to finishing with polyurethane. You could probably even use that with some pumice in it. But many finish type products will have similar smells.

I prefer lint-free cloths folded as if you were going to french-polish to coffee filters. Unless I am making coffee of course.

stratamania said:
Well done, I don't know how many times I have mentioned "Birchwood Casey Sealer and Filler" on this forum and good to see it being put to good use.

Its not nail varnish, if anything it reminds me more of cellulose dope that I used to use on model aircraft and also fishing rod whippings to fill the threads prior to finishing with polyurethane. You could probably even use that with some pumice in it. But many finish type products will have similar smells.

I prefer lint-free cloths folded as if you were going to french-polish to coffee filters. Unless I am making coffee of course.

TBH I found only one other useful mention of the sealer online and it brought me back to a post from you lol.

You're right, I defo get nolstalgia of airfix models when using the stuff.

Dr Excess said:
stratamania said:

TBH I found only one other useful mention of the sealer online and it brought me back to a post from you lol.

Its funny when I am researching something and find a thread via Google and think oh this is interesting and then find I already posted in it a number of years previously.

I was thinking more of balsa aircraft and the tissue on the wings for example the cellulose would shrink it and make it taut.  But speaking of Airfix, polysterene cement also has a similar smell. Now we must restrain this reminiscence lest we are accused of being glue aficionados  :)

stratamania said:
Dr Excess said:
stratamania said:

Its funny when I am researching something and find a thread via Google and think oh this is interesting and then find I already posted in it a number of years previously.

I was thinking more of balsa aircraft and the tissue on the wings for example the cellulose would shrink it and make it taut.  But speaking of Airfix, polysterene cement also has a similar smell. Now we must restrain this reminiscence lest we are accused of being glue aficionados  :)

Haha, I think we may have spent too much of our youth sniffing glue.

Either way, a fresh bottle is getting added to my rolling stock. It's pretty good stuff. Can't overegg just how good it is for filling grain.

I think this stuff would also be a very good substitute for filling dings in paint / bodywork rather than the usual glue / nail varnish. It sets up super clear and is easy to sand back after a very short amount of time.

Question for you Stratomania,

After using sealer how do I transition to tru-oil?

Would you lay down a thin coat of sealer, sand flat and go straight to tru-oil? sand back to wood and then to tru-oil? sand back and clean with some acetone and then to tru-oil?

I did try laying some tru-oil over my last stage, but I could see some discolouration where I had drop filled sealer so I stripped it off and laid down a complete layer now and I can't see any colour difference now so I'm assuming it was simply that the tru-oil looks a little different on wood that has some sealer in it to that which has not.

I guess that may be the thing, it's sealer and filler. I know I've been using it as filler but it is sealer too so should also be abase coat to the tru-oil?

You need to make sure you have the sealer fairly even on the wood and certainly no bare wood. Make sure it has dried fully for a day or two, then just barely touch it with around 600 grit to ensure there are no obvious marks.

Then apply Tru oil, in thin coats...and let them dry and build up slowly. No more than perhaps 2 - 3 light coats per day. You can also thin with mineral spirits (white spirits).

Then when you have built many coats you can move through the grits possibly to around 2000 grit and buff. How many coats and how fine you buff etc is dependent on what sort of gloss look you may be looking for.

Here is a really useful link including really useful posts from Quarter (the late Tom Pettingill) and also Ron Thorn, who is now a master builder at Fender.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/how-do-you-get-a-high-gloss-from-tru-oil-finish.711780/

Decided to finally have a bit of fun and try something new.

Never even touched, let alone used, a veneer before but it seemed fairly common sense.

Decided to tackle my most ambitious and complex part first. The tremelo cover.

I had redesigned the part to sit clear of a schaller sureclaw so that I can have it recessed. The two legs were increased in size and positioned to sit in spring 2 and 4 slots (as I won't be using them).

The little recesses in the bottom are for either black tac, or small magnets. Likely I'll be use black tac though.

I'm super impressed with myself for this, I measured properly and I've got a really nice fit, even the depth for the veneer was right and it sits flush.

I was worried the glue layers would be lumpy but my buddy Nexrex (original owner of the body) recommended this plastic cement to me which you spread thin both sides, leave for the 10 mins and then bond and its amazing. There's no gap or layer of glue at all and it's solid. This stuff will be ideal for 3d printed stuff in general.

I think I've managed to get a good match to the grain considering they're entirely different wood, and I'm sure that once each have 30 coats of of Tru oil the colours will match nice too.

I simply lined it up, stuck it down, then after an hour or so used the (now very trusty) Fiskar craft knife to cut it out and then a needle file for the edges. Filing down towards the plastic obviously.

Attachments

• 20200524_152528.jpg
    20200524_152528.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 20200524_152413.jpg
    20200524_152413.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200524_152405.jpg
    20200524_152405.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
Back