Radius graphtech ghost

Mattmcmetal

I’m in the process of building a strat with a graphtech ghost Floyd Rose bridge and a warmoth compound radius fretboard. Graphtech informed me that the bridge has a 20” radius. Will this be suitable for the compound neck, or would I need to add shims to get closer to an 18” radius. If so how many shims would I add and under which strings?

The difference between an 18" and 20" radius is so small, I wouldn't even consider adjusting for it. You'd probably be using aluminum foil as shims.

Cagey said:
The difference between an 18" and 20" radius is so small, I wouldn't even consider adjusting for it. You'd probably be using aluminum foil as shims.

That sounds about right, I just thought I'd check.

I am building a VIP with a Graphtech Ghost bridge and a 10"-16" compound radius Superwide neck. It struck me: I don't think you CAN shim a Ghost bridge because the saddles are integral to the piezo.

"Ghost" is a system, not a saddle type. If the Ghost saddles used as replacements for separate Fender- or Wilkinson-style vibrato bridges are used, they have adjusters built in, so no cutting necessary. If you're talking about something like one of their hardtail "Resomax" bridges that look like an ABR-1 (Tune-O-Matic), you're right. They're like the original parts - non-adjustable. But, the way you compensate for radius with the original parts is to file the string slots deeper as needed. It usually doesn't require much. The difference between a 12" radius and a 16" or 18" radius isn't as dramatic as you might think. A couple/few thousandths will do it. I suspect many people don't compensate at all and never suffer for it. In any event, those resomax saddles can be cut that far without issue.

The Graphtec LB63 Floyd Rose bridge is a full bridge, not just the saddles.

The radius I agree will be close enough to not be of any significance.

What I would be more concerned about is if it intonates correctly on a standard Floyd routing. There was a thread on here a while back which I have found the link to which will be well worth reading.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=28710.0

Specific post discussing intonation...but worth reading the thread...

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=28710.msg407728#msg407728

I interpreted the OP to be asking about a Graphtech Ghost Floyd bridge, not Resomax saddles on a non-Ghost Floyd bridge. Graphtech warns against modifying Ghost saddles:

http://graphtech.com/support/faq/ghost-pickup-faq

GHOST PICKUP FAQ
Can I file my ghost saddle to achieve a different dimensions or string spacing?

Do not attempt to file the notches on Ghost saddles!!! The piezo crystal is only 0.040" below the notch, and if you expose the pickup, the string will short it out and it won't work anymore. Furthermore, the pickup has been positioned optimally in relation to the string, so it may change the pickup sensitivity if you file the notch deeper. This will affect the string balance when you file some notches and not others."

Back