QUARTERSAWN vs PLAINSAWN..

RLW said:
If you have a 60's Fuzzface with germanium transistors, carbon and alkaline batteries DO sound different. Not huge, but there is a difference, especially in a controlled environment like a studio, not at Guitar Center on Saturday afternoon.
ok i'll take your  word for it, it's hard to say, depends on lots of things but overdrive pedals can work on a wide range of voltages regardless of what it says on the back plate and a different battery type won't affect them. arguably if you supply the opamp it's rated +- 15 volts, 30 in totals it will have more fidelity. not more power, power is set by internal resistor that set the gain ratio. i think fuzz pedals work very diferently so that can be true, especially on an old one.

And I have a monkey on a bicycle hooked up to a generator.  Now can we please let this thread die?

images

Thet thar's some museum-grade ass, thar... :blob7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FID9lAuOxEg

Screw John Suhr and Eric Johnson

most impoprtantly screw guitar center
if I ever got a job there I'd just send people coming in right back out the door  :evil4:

the only "expert" who's ass I'll still kiss is Kinman
I mean
not to the point where I'd actually take the advice about not getting the compound radius fretboard

but those pickups are just bad ASS, dude
mix and match?
k9?
:dontknow:
i'm DOWN

yeah so what've we learned from every thread T.L has posted in?
:cool01:
anybody?

Can we just let this thread and 'sizzle' die please? These smackdowns are really boring. Let's talk about capacitance or something cool.

I really hate to post in this quagmire, but I wanted to clarify my post earlier (back on page 1).  I don't believe Birdseye is weaker than regular maple, I was just saying that according to my understanding of what causes the Birdseye effect wouldn't actually make the wood stronger. 

There is a quote in "Make Your Own Electric Guitar (2nd Edition)" by Melvin Hiscock where he talks about Birdseye.  I don't have the exact text but basically he made some comments about the dependability of it.  But quickly fallowed that up with information from Warmoth, the long and short of which was that people are likely to use a totally unsuitable piece of wood, just because it has Birdseye on it, thus making a bad neck.  The point being that as long as the underlying wood is worthy of being a guitar neck, the Birdseye doesn't make it any better or worse.  On the other hand, if its a twisted piece of shit, it doesn't matter how pretty it is. 

chuck7 said:
The point being that as long as the underlying wood is worthy of being a guitar neck, the Birdseye doesn't make it any better or worse.  On the other hand, if its a twisted piece of shite, it doesn't matter how pretty it is. 

exactly. and precisely what the reference materials (images above) point out

to quote Larry Davis of Gallery Hardwoods
[quote author=Larry Davis]"There's no bad wood....just bad tools, bad techniques and bad applications."[/quote]

that really sums up the technical and on focus part of this discussion

all the best,

R

One more from a birdseye fan:

7.jpg

This neck is brighter sounding, and has better sustain, than my graphite neck Steinberger...not to mention the "plain" maple and quarter sawn necks that I've compared it with. Science and famous quotes aside, birdseye rocks!  :headbang:

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

While I'm at it...Christ, Sixbender... :eek: That geet gets me every damn time! I love it, man. :hello2:

Back