Purple/Magenta burst flame Strat! ANOTHER PIC UPDATE 5/13

VERY nice
eusa_clap.gif
  I have a feeling next month's contest is going to be even more competitive  :laughing7:

SlingBass said:
VERY nice
eusa_clap.gif
  I have a feeling next month's contest is going to be even more competitive  :laughing7:

Next month is owner-finished Warmoths, but this Strat's got my vote in June!
Hannaugh, you are definitely entering in June, right? :blob7:

I'm not normally a fan of purple, but wow, this one sure looks great.

Beautiful guitar!  So I have to ask, What did you ask for to get the hybrid pickups?  What were you going for sonically?

The Earvana that Warmoth did for my hardtail Strat came close to being perfect out of the box.  I know it is a bit early, but what do ya think of the Earvana?

Wowsers, that thing is a real looker.  Nice guitar.
Patrick

Wow thanks again guys.  This is definitely going up for competition in June.  I was actually thinking about how the fretboard is so square.  I guess that's what conversion necks look like.  I kind of want to round it off with some files...

The Earvana nut is great so far except for the G slot, which I needed to file a tiny bit because it was pinching the string and making a buzzing sound.  Other than that, it's great.  I showed the guitar to a couple of tech guys, and they both asked what kind of nut it was because they didn't recognize it as Earvana without the screws. 

When I started talking to Ken about what I wanted in these pickups, I basically said that I liked the Fatboys and the Specials a lot, and that the guitar was mahogany and would probably require something with a bit of oomph in the treble area, but also that I didn't want it nasally.  He suggested that he make a hybrid pickup, which was kind of cool because I thought he was just going to suggest Fatboys for the neck and middle area and a Special in the bridge.  So I have a new design.  I hope he names them and adds them to the lineup, cause they're pretty amazing.  They're so clear.  It's kind of hard to describe, but I felt like saying "Whoa... you can HEAR the notes!" which sounds a lot like I'm a stoner or something, but that's what my first thought was. Then I switched to distortion and it was even cooler because that clarity didn't go away.  Playing high on the neck sounds so good, it's got those soaring high notes I associated with good classic rock.  I am very pleased. 

Hannah, Guitar looks awesome, and having played a few axes with kens pups, I know how yours sounds,I know what you mean about the individual note clarity. And it's not at the expense of any normal pickup sound, they sound clean and bright when you want that, and crunchy dirty like a metal humbucker if thats what you want.

Can't wait to hear a clip

i love it. purple guitars are cool. that neck is great. i don't mind the squareness too much but that would be easy with a file to fix. the inlays are awesome. i'd like lighter knobs but matching pickup covers would help tie it all together, actually the knobs look good with the neck.

hannaugh said:
I knew I would have a terrible time matching off-whites! 
The knobs were made by DiMarzio, so I think I would have to get covers from them if I wanted to match them. 

The problem is tradition - the knobs you've chosen are traditional "Gibson" knobs, and not traditional Fender.  Fender covers come in "traditional" colors of white, parchment, "aged white", mint, and black.  The aged white does vary, and mint was never a color the covers turned into... but its offered today.  The Gibby style knob... is going to probably come in colors that more closely match traditional Gibson pickguards, pickup rings and switch rings.  There is some variance, so alls not lost, but finding a good match may be a lot of trial and error.  Why not go with traditional strat knobs, that will match the color of the covers, and not alter the overall look "that much"?

=CB= said:
hannaugh said:
I knew I would have a terrible time matching off-whites! 
The knobs were made by DiMarzio, so I think I would have to get covers from them if I wanted to match them. 

The problem is tradition - the knobs you've chosen are traditional "Gibson" knobs, and not traditional Fender.  Fender covers come in "traditional" colors of white, parchment, "aged white", mint, and black.  The aged white does vary, and mint was never a color the covers turned into... but its offered today.  The Gibby style knob... is going to probably come in colors that more closely match traditional Gibson pickguards, pickup rings and switch rings.  There is some variance, so alls not lost, but finding a good match may be a lot of trial and error.  Why not go with traditional strat knobs, that will match the color of the covers, and not alter the overall look "that much"?

I hear what your shoutin' =CB=, but the answer is clear and I understand her need.  She cannot find a traditional Fender knob that cranks all the way to #11. 
I looked far and wide for  #11 knobs on my Firebird.  I ended up purchasing a set just like Hannaugh's, but did not use them because they just did not blend in well.
IMHO, the cream covers match the knobs much better.  However, they also blend in with the pick guard, and she is looking for contrast. 
Which is more crucial; the extra volume, or the aesthetics and/or tradition...  :dontknow:

I just threw those on because I had them handy.  If you remember, I actually originally bought them for the Les Paul.  Regular Strat knobs that match the pups are on their way.  Unfortunately though, they won't go up to 11. 

The color does pick up the yellow in the neck really well though. 

Yeah, this is sweet looking. I agree with your original assessment of the knobs though, a bit too dark. I think they should match the pup covers, but that's just me. Either way, it is a strapping looking guitar you got there. You're going to have loads of fun with it.
MULLY

Oh, I'm already having loads of fun with it.  I took it to work so I could play on my down time. 

I think it would be hard to find knobs that would make that guitar look anything less than gorgeous.  But + 1 to trying to match the pickup covers; I think that's a great way to unify the colors.

Tremendous work!

Back