Prefered wireless system

double A said:
I perform pretty regularly, and I have tried tons of wireless units, including the Line6 stuff.....which I don't have a high opinion of. During the time I used those I experienced constant drop-outs, and to be honest I didn't think they sounded all that great.

The Shure GLXD16 is what ended my search.

I have used mine on countless gigs, and it has been 100% rock solid, no dropouts, easily rechargeable via USB...and there is even a courtesy USB outlet on the receiver unit, looooong battery life, metal casing.

Oh, and did I mention the receiver unit is also a fantastic tuner...as good as any tuner pedal I have tried?

Signed,

Shure's Mom

double A said:
I perform pretty regularly, and I have tried tons of wireless units, including the Line6 stuff.....which I don't have a high opinion of. During the time I used those I experienced constant drop-outs, and to be honest I didn't think they sounded all that great.

The Shure GLXD16 is what ended my search.

I have used mine on countless gigs, and it has been 100% rock solid, no dropouts, easily rechargeable via USB...and there is even a courtesy USB outlet on the receiver unit, looooong battery life, metal casing.

Oh, and did I mention the receiver unit is also a fantastic tuner...as good as any tuner pedal I have tried?

That one was actually a serious contender on my list .... but I already have a tuner, and wasn't entirely sure I could power the receiver with my Voodoo Labs ISO5.  That, and it is one of the more expensive offerings in the wireless world.

However, I decided to order the PRA WiC that Timmsie95 mentioned.  Tried as I did, I could not find a single bad review anywhere on that unit.

If UPS is efficient enough, I'll get it in time for a gig I have next Saturday.  Looking forward to giving it a serious test-drive.

I have used both the Line 6 G30 Relay and the G50, both for guitar, but my experience may be applicable to bass as well.
I would advise against the G30. Surprisingly, the sound quality of the G30 is noticeably "thinner" than the G50, especially in the lower frequencies. This "thinness" was primarily evident while palm muting. For reference, the signal chain I used when making this comparison was /Guitar with Bare Knuckle Nailbombs ---> Wireless System ---> Mesa Boogie Mark V/. The cable simulator features were switched off during the comparison. Before upgrading to a wireless system, I used high quality instrument cables. In my experience, the difference in sound between the G30 and G50 was more obvious than the difference in sound between the G50 and a short, high quality instrument cable.

JPilot said:
I have used both the Line 6 G30 Relay and the G50, both for guitar, but my experience may be applicable to bass as well.
I would advise against the G30. Surprisingly, the sound quality of the G30 is noticeably "thinner" than the G50, especially in the lower frequencies. This "thinness" was primarily evident while palm muting. For reference, the signal chain I used when making this comparison was /Guitar with Bare Knuckle Nailbombs ---> Wireless System ---> Mesa Boogie Mark V/. The cable simulator features were switched off during the comparison. Before upgrading to a wireless system, I used high quality instrument cables. In my experience, the difference in sound between the G30 and G50 was more obvious than the difference in sound between the G50 and a short, high quality instrument cable.

With respect, I disagree.  But to each their own.
I've used good cables, and wireless systems ranging from $200 to $1200, with my G30 being the most recent, and I've found it to be quite remarkable sounding compared to cables.  If mounted on the pedalboard, you're on average likely to only travel about 15-25 feet from it on most club sized stages.  I've never had a dropout on it.  I've had plenty of dropout on more expensive systems.

So I received the PRA WiC wireless system yesterday ... unfortunately too late for my Saturday gig.

But having played with it I've gotta say I've never used anything more "plug and play" in my life.  No knobs, no menus, just turn the power on the receiver and transmitter and they pair instantly.  No discernable difference in tone between the unit and a cable.  I ordered the "ELF" model for bass, and the low B of my 5 string articulates perfectly.

Haven't really tested the range yet, as I'm only playing in the house, but standing next to my WiFi modem and my cel phone causes no interference.  And the units are rechargeable, so no batteries to worry about either.

So far, I'm really impressed! 

Back