Home Studio FX Rack Drawers

Re-Pete

Hi all...

I am in the process of getting what pedals I have, up off the floor and being set as permanently as possible into rack mounted sliding shelves.

Reason being: my back is ageing more than me and I hate interrupting the workflow, bending down & re-patching pedals in or out and /or finding them in their box and hooking them up. I am hoping to have them set up, as ready to go as they can be, in sliding drawers....

I'm only using a 6ft cable from the guitar into the racks.... but from there I will be running a summing patchbay  so the cabling will be more within the pedal array, than say, on a pedalboard. Obviously I am concerned about signal degradation ( capacitance).

I really don't want to have to go into the market for a Gigrig G2 or a Boss ES8, the expense is too much at this stage. I have a TRS & a TS patchaby ready to go... The TRS patchbay is newer & I'm noticing the TS patchbay is maybe passed it's used-by date with some sockets being hard to get plugs into (maybe some corrosion inside?). If I use the TRS patchbay, I will have to use the TS plugs from the pedals (most are mono) into the TRS sockets which, I have read, is not too much of an issue as the system at this point is unbalanced.

Questions also arise about buffers...... Some of my guitars (well, the Warmoth ones anyway) are active pickup loaded with EMG systems and/or pickups....the other guitars are passive...

Now I know the passive loaded guitars are going to need a buffer somewhere in the signal chain (preferably at the start) but what about the active loaded Warmoths?

I have, I think, about 8 pedals to mount onto 2 rack drawers, so there's 2 levels of cabling to bring up into a patchbay for patching in what I want to use..... If I'm using 3 or 4 pedals we could easily get to 20 feet of cable linkage...

All the videos about pedal hook ups and capacitance say active pickups/systems beat that issue but at what stage does an active pickup loaded guitar starts suffering from some capacitance resistance loss of treble like the passive pickups....? :icon_scratch: I'm thinking, probably around 50 feet?

Also, I see some comment on videos about terms such as Line Level & Unity Gain......  I always took Line Level as +4dB for professional devices and Unity Gain as 0dB on the meter as it comes into the 'board'? What does a buffer return the signal strength to when it is engaged? :dontknow:

I would appreciate any comment, big or small.....  I just want a small rack mounted FX rig set up for ease of use and obviously I want it to sound as quiet and pure to tone as possible.....

I have two active pickup guitars and I treat them no different than the ones with passive pups.  I need about 20 feet of cable before my pedal board.  Maybe if I had a more elaborate system I might notice signal degradation but I don't. The only difference, to me is that the active pups start out louder.

Thanx for reply Rick.....

I guess the best way to deal with all the lingering questions is just to hook this all up as best I know how to...and then see if a buffer may be needed.

I'm thinking the active loaded guitars won't need a buffer. But technically, I think active loaded guitars will still get capacitance signal degradation, it's just that the signal being low impedance 'throws' further down the signal chain before it gets corrupted to the point you notice it...and that point is usually beyond the cable lengths that guitarists employ in an unbalanced guitar-pedals-amp set up.

Back