Prefered wireless system

AndyG

I know that this has been discussed on and off over various threads, but I'm looking to get a wireless rig for my bass, and I'm wondering what everyone else is using.

Looking at reviews of the Line 6 G30, the common complaint it the battery door ... true or over-exaggerated?

Thinking also about the Audio-Technica System 10 stompbox, but nobody in Canada carries it (yet).

Any other suggestions?  Digital vs UHF?  I'm not really concerned if I rack-mount or pedalboard mount the receiver, but I am using a Mackie DL1608 console to mix my band live, so whatever wireless system I buy has to be impervious to the wireless router I use for the mixer.

Thanks everyone!

PRA audio has a new one out that is supposed to be amazing. Tons of guys are using them now, and they're very small, and USB rechargeable. They're pretty decently priced compared to the Line 6 ones, and they have a 300 foot range if I'm not mistaken.

I used to have the Line 6 G90, and it was great. Haven't used a G30 though, and i know they have different body packs.

I have the G-30 system, and the door can be a tad cumbersome, but if you treat it correctly, it'll be fine.

I actually have 2 transmitters, 1 for each strap setup, and I have the receiver mounted on my pedal board, see this thread:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=26578.0

The fidelity is great, and I don't really use the cable modelling as I want the best fidelity that I can get.

I've never once experienced a dropout or any other performance issues with it.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
I have the G-30 system, and the door can be a tad cumbersome, but if you treat it correctly, it'll be fine.

I actually have 2 transmitters, 1 for each strap setup, and I have the receiver mounted on my pedal board, see this thread:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=26578.0

The fidelity is great, and I don't really use the cable modelling as I want the best fidelity that I can get.

I've never once experienced a dropout or any other performance issues with it.

Thanks for that info .... I've been leaning towards the G30 not only for price, but the fact that the receiver can be powered by my Voodoo Labs PS.
My biggest concern was the battery door.  But, I do treat my equipment pretty gingerly, so I guess I'll be OK.

Any other input still welcome!

I have the Line 6 unit (G90), and I wouldn't worry about the transmitter battery door as much as whether I'd need a second job to keep me in batteries. The thing eats 'em like they're free, and it doesn't really work very well with rechargeables. Although, to be fair, most of the "good" wireless units suffer the same thing. Takes some power to transmit any distance, and to get 2 AA batteries to last 8 hours is probably a pretty good trick.

My solution has been to buy the batteries in bulk. Getting them from the local hardware/variety/electronics store will ruin anybody's budget, but you can get bulk packs online pretty reasonably. For example, these guys will set you up with a 40-pak of alkalines for just over $10.

Cagey said:
I have the Line 6 unit (G90), and I wouldn't worry about the transmitter battery door as much as whether I'd need a second job to keep me in batteries. The thing eats 'em like they're free, and it doesn't really work very well with rechargeables. Although, to be fair, most of the "good" wireless units suffer the same thing. Takes some power to transmit any distance, and to get 2 AA batteries to last 8 hours is probably a pretty good trick.

My solution has been to buy the batteries in bulk. Getting them from the local hardware/variety/electronics store will ruin anybody's budget, but you can get bulk packs online pretty reasonably. For example, these guys will set you up with a 40-pak of alkalines for just over $10.

+1 on the batteries, I get em on sale in bulk at Harbor Freight.  Save those coupons bro!

Yeah, I know that wireless units are pretty ravenous with batteries.  We use digital hybrid wireless lav mics where I work, and you're lucky to get 5 hours out of a 9 volt.

My band doesn't play that often, and if I'm diligent in turning off the transmitter between sets, I could probably get a couple of gigs out of a pair of AA's ... not that I wouldn't have spares with me just in case!

The battery issue is ehy I like the PRA units. They have built in USB rechargeable batteries, and word is, they last pretty long.

The battery issue is why I like cables  :toothy12:

Plus ... you can use the cable as a whip ...  :evil4:

Logrinn said:

..... said no one who owns a cel phone    :)

Cables are the main reason I want to go wireless.  For one, when we do soundcheck, I can now wander around the venue with my iPad, but only as far as my bass cable will allow me.  That, and considering the cable is plugged into my pedalboard, which is in front of me, it always seems to be underfoot and in the way.

AndyG said:
Logrinn said:

..... said no one who owns a cel phone    :)

Cables are the main reason I want to go wireless.  For one, when we do soundcheck, I can now wander around the venue with my iPad, but only as far as my bass cable will allow me.  That, and considering the cable is plugged into my pedalboard, which is in front of me, it always seems to be underfoot and in the way.

I've always hated cables, hated tripping over them, bouncing against my leg, and for being part of the circuit when I would get shocked from my lips to my fingers when I'd walk up to the mic & do vocals. 

Going wireless broke that circuit.  So will going with active pickups, which I've only recently done on one guitar.
You can't count on a venue to have good wiring & prevent you from experiencing their anomalies, so I took their anomalies out of the equation as far as I was able to.

You just need a Chewbacca style battery bandolier guitar strap. Someone should totally make one.

swarfrat said:
You just need a Chewbacca style battery bandolier guitar strap. Someone should totally make one.
A quick google search did not disappoint.
0043DV-10233184.JPG

Hehe! I could use one of those for my camera batteries. Damned thing eats batteries even faster than the Line 6 transmitter.

The Line 6 Relay G 10 might be worth checking out if you want an easy wireless solution that recharges easily.

[youtube]ZfwLeajvKz4[/youtube]

Yeah. My Pentax actually has a bug in the battery level sensor, and gets super picky long before they are actually discharged.

That's the way this one behaves (Canon A570is). Put fresh, new Duracells in it and it's fine for about 10-20 shots, then starts warning you. 30 or 40 more shots, and it demands battery replacement. Pull the batteries and check 'em, and they measure 1.5v so I don't know what the hell it wants.

I know we're off-topic here, but just to finish the thought...

I just went and looked to see if they even still sell these things, and they do. $400 new, $31 used. No typo. What's up with that? Anyway, while I'm on the site, I'm reading reviews and somebody is complaining about it wanting new batteries at a ridiculous rate. Somebody else pipes up and says "Maybe it's the memory battery. Change that." What? What memory battery? So, I open the thing up and look, and sure as hell there's a little door off to the side of the main batteries that has a little button cell. I've had this thing probably 7 years now and that's the same battery, so there's no doubt it's shot. That's gotta be the battery it's complaining about, not the new alkalines I've been throwing away pointlessly.

Stupid camera.

I perform pretty regularly, and I have tried tons of wireless units, including the Line6 stuff.....which I don't have a high opinion of. During the time I used those I experienced constant drop-outs, and to be honest I didn't think they sounded all that great.

The Shure GLXD16 is what ended my search.

I have used mine on countless gigs, and it has been 100% rock solid, no dropouts, easily rechargeable via USB...and there is even a courtesy USB outlet on the receiver unit, looooong battery life, metal casing.

Oh, and did I mention the receiver unit is also a fantastic tuner...as good as any tuner pedal I have tried?

Back