Post what you're listening to!

Julian Lage has a new album dropping on 2/22, and he has released this cover of Roy Orbison's "Crying" in advance.  Enjoy, y'all.  I sure did.  And I will again.

[youtube]hYRYhAGt14A[/youtube]

Rgand said:
Man, that was nice. Thanks, Ian.

Happy to share, Robert.

You'll want to watch for him to come through Santa Cruz.  He plays Kuumbwa Jazz Center pretty much annually, maybe more frequently.  He hails from Sonoma County so he hits a lot of small venues in the periphery of the Bay Area.  Definitely a worthwhile show.

Bagman67 said:
You'll want to watch for him to come through Santa Cruz.  He plays Kuumbwa Jazz Center pretty much annually, maybe more frequently.  He hails from Sonoma County so he hits a lot of small venues in the periphery of the Bay Area.  Definitely a worthwhile show.
Good to know. Thanks.

Andy Timmons with Martin Miller Session Band.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AotIQzCZrwo[/youtube]

For your listening pleasure.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW2iofQtRIM[/youtube]

SIMON PHILLIPS / PROTOCOL 4 - STUDIO LIVE SESSION - PENTANGLE - LITTLE BIG BEAT STUDIOS

Simon Phillips: Drums
Greg Howe: Guitar
Ernest Tibbs; Bass
Otmaro Ruiz: Keyboards

Love that last one the guitarist and bassist look so intense and the drummer looks like yawn.

On a different note how good can some Japanese girls who dress up like maids and play rock songs be.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpAYnVJX9CY[/youtube]

Zhaezzy said:
Love that last one the guitarist and bassist look so intense and the drummer looks like yawn.

On a different note how good can some Japanese girls who dress up like maids and play rock songs be.
Holy $h!+skies, Batman! These women truly rock! That's absolutely awesome!  :rock-on:

Recently discovered a station on iheart Radio that's just a few miles north of me, Mad Rock 102.5 and they play everything from AC/DC to ZZ Top, from the 70's 80's and 90's.. Stuff I've not heard on mainstream radio in decades..Iron Maiden, Dio, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Y&T, Cinderella, Armored Saint, Blackfoot...Just to name a few...

Joe Satriani's band before he got picked up by Greg Kihn was a power trio called Squares that never went anywhere beyond playing clubs in the Bay Area.  He is now releasing their recordings.  Here's a taste - a loopy, revved up version of "I Love How You Love Me," originally released by the Paris Sisters, and later by noted hard rocker Bobby Vinton. 

It's fun to hear the fundamentals of the Satriani style already forming.  Please do enjoy.

[youtube]S5ZSsd1WZ4g[/youtube]

A couple good ones, Ian.

I have a Zevon album with that on it. It's not your standard rock sound but good listening.

The other one is new to me although a friend of mine is the drummer for Greg Kihn.

Somehow I ended up going down the YouTube rabbit hole and found my way to this performance by the Dave Grusin NY/LA Dream Band from 1982.  Here we see the dawning of the smooth jazz age, with Dave Grusin one of its key architects.  In addition to bringing a lot of what I will charitably describe as "accessible" jazz to the market, as a composer, Dave Grusin also was responsible to a HUGE degree for how television and film soundtrack music sounded in the 1980's, and he continues to cast a long shadow.

Now, clearly you can discern my distaste for smooth jazz as a genre; but this performance is a great timepiece for the state of the art in 1982, and as a showcase for Grusin's compositional talents brought forth by some of the heaviest hitters in studio music of the day.  This is a tremendously worthwhile performance if only for the chance to appreciate Steve Gadd's phenomenal range and power and Lee Ritenour's fiery abilities as a soloist. 

Anyway, have fun, or not.

[youtube]XT43gpiGypw[/youtube]

Back