Post What Jazz You're Listening To

Thanks, Mike! I'm always happy to learn about another interesting jazz player, even "smooth" jazz, because often there's more to it than just reproducing an R&B groove in instrumental form with accompanying heavily emphasized Yamaha DX7 metallic electric piano sounds. I can't really handle most of Larry Carlton's solo output on record for very long, but I can enjoy video of his live playing forever.

I actually caught a somewhat incongruous double-bill of Leo Kottke and Larry Carlton back in 1988? 1989? Whenever Larry was touring behind his On Solid Ground record, which was his first release after that insane gunshot wound he suffered. Anyway: Great night at the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix.

Here's some more Henry Johnson, from a later "more mature" period. Once you get past the (long) piano part, there's some really good guitar for pretty much the rest of the song.
Wave is one of my favorite Brazilian standards. The piano on this version is comparatively undistinguished, but there's some fun stuff in it.

Saw Al, with John McLaughlin and Paco DeLucia back in 1979 or 80?. Wow what a concert. They were tuned into the roots. And I never heard of them before. Made me want to play the guitar even more.

And I gotta admit, I like me some Smooth Jazz.
I really like Chris Standrings tone.

How about some fusion. This is from Gary Burton's 1969 release Throb - one of my favorite albums, with Jerry Hahn guitar and Steve Swallow bass:

Last edited:
I found Gary Burton through his association with Pat Metheny and then "forgot" about him even though he shows up performing with various artists in my wanderings.
Thanks for the bump!

I found Gary Burton through his association with Pat Metheny and then "forgot" about him even though he shows up performing with various artists in my wanderings.
Thanks for the bump!
His duet recordings with Chick Corea are worth tracking down.

Larry Coryell led fusion supergroup here: Chick Corea, John McLaughlin, Miroslav Vitous and Billy Cobham

Reactions: xld
Back