Post What Heavy / Progressive Rock You Are Listening to...

Frank Marino, another cool cat (in the early days). I remember listening zillions of times to the 1978 live album (FM and Mahogany Rush)

I listened to that live album also a few times. I never owned it, but one of my friends had it, and in those days people got together and listened to albums.

But one thing that is missing is hard, heavy or progressive rock, whether it is from the 70s, 80s, or later

I gotta figure that after 12 pages someone else might have mentioned this already, but just in case...

Hard Rock, Heavy Rock, and Progressive Rock strike me as two if not three separate (sub-)genres. There is so much "Progressive Rock" that is neither Hard nor Heavy...and a shit-ton of Hard and/or Heavy Rock that is most definitely not Progressive (or progressive, lower-case).

Be that as it may...

I've been a bachelor all week, with the missus out of town, so I've been listening to a whole mess of Yes, both old original videos from their Peter Banks/Tony Kaye days, as well as videos from the 1989 Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe tour. Definitely Progressive (in the upper-case sense, at least), rarely Heavy or Hard. And if my wife were home she'd be complaining "What is this crap?!?!"

I gotta figure that after 12 pages someone else might have mentioned this already, but just in case...

Hard Rock, Heavy Rock, and Progressive Rock strike me as two if not three separate (sub-)genres. There is so much "Progressive Rock" that is neither Hard nor Heavy...and a shit-ton of Hard and/or Heavy Rock that is most definitely not Progressive (or progressive, lower-case).

Of course they are various sub-genres which are somewhat related. The thread started as called Classic Rock with that intention, but it turns out the European definition of that is different to those in the US who think R.E.M or something is included. Hence the thread is now titled what it is. Which is mentioned within the first post and in ongoing posts.

I've been a bachelor all week, with the missus out of town, so I've been listening to a whole mess of Yes, both old original videos from their Peter Banks/Tony Kaye days, as well as videos from the 1989 Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe tour. Definitely Progressive (in the upper-case sense, at least), rarely Heavy or Hard. And if my wife were home she'd be complaining "What is this crap?!?!"

Always good to listen to Yes. For the rest I am now a widower for the rest of my life so I would be very happy to still be able to have someone complain about what I was listening to. Count your blessings.

Michael Schenker Group live | Rock Hard Festival 2023 | Rockpalast

INTO THE ARENA 00:00:00
CRY FOR THE NATIONS 00:04:33
DOCTOR DOCTOR 00:10:16
LOOKING FOR LOVE 00:14:22
LIGHTS OUT 00:18:26
RED SKY 00:23:38
SHOOT SHOOT 00:28:59
SAIL THE DARKNESS 00:33:32
LET IT ROLL 00:38:44
EMERGENCY 00:43:24
NATURAL THING 00:47:14
ARMED & READY 00:51:06
WE ARE THE VOICE 00:55:56
ASSAULT ATTACK 00:59:33
ROCK BOTTOM 01:04:06
TOO HOT TO HANDLE 01:19:18
ONLY YOU CAN ROCK ME 01:23:38

Band

Michael Schenker - guitar, backing vocals
Ronnie Romero - vocals
Steve Mann - guitar, keyboards, backing vocals
Barend Courbois - bass
Bodo Schopf - drums

It sounds like the words are about Sir Coverdale, himself. His voice is awesome when he doesn’t have to try to reach the high registers, and this has always been one of my favorite songs. Great arrangement, too!

Back