Post What Heavy / Progressive Rock You Are Listening to...

EJ’s playing and sound is still magical! And he has added bluesy stuff over the years as can be seen in this intro.
I still remember the first time I saw him live, which was in 2001 in San Diego. That sound he had live was unbelievable, and going between sparkling clean, crunching rhythm and singin solo so effortlessly.
Thanks for posting as for some reason this did not show up in my YT feed!

I have actually mostly listened to Made In Japan, as I felt nothing after that came even close. But this sounded really good, including Gillan’s voice, as well as Ritchie’s riffs and runs!

I have actually mostly listened to Made In Japan, as I felt nothing after that came even close. But this sounded really good, including Gillan’s voice, as well as Ritchie’s riffs and runs!

Come Hell or High Water – the concert that this is from is well worth checking out.

I’ve been listening to (or more like watching) Led Zeppelin’s “Ten Years Gone (Live from Knebworth 1979)” on YouTube quite a bit. I am enthralled with JP’s use of his brown B-Bender Tele. For anyone who loves Teles or B-Benders (or Zeppelin for that matter) they should check the video out. The studio version on ‘Physical Graphiti” pales in comparison.

Last edited:
Led Zeppelin was one of those bands that was so much better live than in the studio! Thanx for posting!

Led Zeppelin were always good or great in the studio. Part of the producer part of Page was all the layered guitars and so on, such as Achilles Last Stand, or the drum sound on When The Levee Breaks. Live was a different side of the band. I don't think one takes away from the other.

Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand (Remaster)

Led Zeppelin - When The Levee Breaks (Official Audio)

I believe Bonamassa mentioned that there is a new BCC album in the works. As his own music has become more ”big band” the collaboration with the heavier BCC shows his ”other side”.

Ulli Jon Roth live | Rockpalast | 2018

Ulli Jon Roth live | Rockpalast | 2018 | Setlist
1. In Trance 00:00
2. Rainbow Dream Prelude / Fly To The Rainbow 06:17
3. Pictured Life 17:31
4. Catch Your Train 20:32
5. All Along The Watchtower 24:28
6. Little Wing 31:20

Line up
Uli Jon Roth - guitar, vocals
Niklas Turmann - vocals, guitar
David Klosinski - guitar
Nico Deppisch - bass
Corvin Bahn - keyboards
Michael Ehré – drums

The concert was recorded on Mai 20 in 2018 at the rock Hard Festival in Gelsenkirchen, Germany.

The term classic rock seems to have a different meaning in the USA than Europe, so to keep it more on the intended topic, I updated the title and first post to talk about hard, Heavy / Progressive Rock.

If you have the thread bookmarked, here is the new link.

I’ve always liked Uli’s tone and playing style, but I mostly remember him from that Sky Guitar that is nothing like any other guitar on this planet.

I’ve always liked Uli’s tone and playing style, but I mostly remember him from that Sky Guitar that is nothing like any other guitar on this planet.

I do also. I first saw the Sky guitar being played at Hammersmith in 1985 on his Electric Sun, Beyond the Astral Skies tour, then later in 2002 on his Legends of Rock tour, featuring Jack Bruce, Frank Marino, and Glenn Hughes. Where are the years going?

Back