poplar body (nothing exciting)

dbw said:
2534502327_62781da64d.jpg
2535314384_0464a5185d.jpg

...and now over to the strat section!  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3572
Oh, the big swimming pool route...... :doh:  But you could put like 4 hum's in that beast....... :laughing11:

I spotted this soloist in poplar the other day, thawt bout it for a while, but decided not to. Still wanting to do a tele.....

But it was cheap $139, and nice grain......
2544202072_f5a8bf0c3a_o.jpg

Got my Poplar body W guitar. And once again impressed by the workmanship. $129 and its a piece of art. Amazing especially when placed next to a Mighty Might body. All the holes are precision, the neck fit... well you know. Amazing.

So I have 10 guitars..  and only 1 W and now it feels like I really only have one guitar?  I need to make room for more W's.

Denis119 said:
Got my Poplar body W guitar. And once again impressed by the workmanship. $129 and its a piece of art. Amazing especially when placed next to a Mighty Might body. All the holes are precision, the neck fit... well you know. Amazing.

So I have 10 guitars..  and only 1 W and now it feels like I really only have one guitar?  I need to make room for more W's.
Now you're catching on......... :icon_thumright:

dbw said:
Bottle of tru-oil for neck: $7

I bought some Tru-Oil at Wal-Mart for about $4 a bottle, if memory serves.  They keep it in the sporting goods dept.  I bought all they had.

JBD

I once used a poplar bodied Fender P-Bass borrowed from a friend for a recording project many years ago. Loved it, and have since become a fan of poplar for both bass and guitar......though maybe not my #1 choice. Looks nice, priced nice, and look forward to the completed project and your take on it. Congrats & enjoy  :icon_biggrin:

I used to have a poplar Hanewinckel bass.  It is probably the best bass I've ever owned.  Certainly within the top 3.

5n8sx4

JBD

It occurs to me that alder and ash have become "prized tonewoods" not because they are necessarily superior, but because they have been plentiful for years and years. And of course, plentiful=inexpensive. The fact that manufacturers can charge more for those woods than poplar is due mostly to the fact that guitarmaking (not to mention playing) is a business that cannot seem to look forward, hyping only what came before.

To say all that is to say...YAY POPLAR!!!

Do I care if Jimmmmmi didn't use a poplar guitar?

SlingBass said:
ildar said:
Do I care if Jimmmmmi didn't use a poplar guitar?
And who's to say he didn't at some point - Fender did employ poplar at various times  :guitaristgif:

Well, now I'm rethinking the whole thing.    :evil4:

DocNrock said:
Sounds great, dbw!  Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I too picked up a poplar strat body for $129.  I found a finished quartersawn maple neck on the showcase for $257.  I could've got the whole thing together with leftover pieces-parts I have at home for less than $500, but I decided that I was getting off so "cheap" that I had to get a set of Rio Grandes to put into it.  Oh well.

Its all your fault DocNrock.. Got me thinkin about Rio Grande's so i bought a set of vintage tallboys for my poplar project..

Denis119 said:
DocNrock said:
Sounds great, dbw!  Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I too picked up a poplar strat body for $129.  I found a finished quartersawn maple neck on the showcase for $257.  I could've got the whole thing together with leftover pieces-parts I have at home for less than $500, but I decided that I was getting off so "cheap" that I had to get a set of Rio Grandes to put into it.  Oh well.

Its all your fault DocNrock.. Got me thinkin about Rio Grande's so i bought a set of vintage tallboys for my poplar project..

I'll gladly take the blame.  However, my inspiration for the RGs has been Jack.

Back